Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil Change from Hell & the Screw on Filter

Okay, after much research and deliberation I decided to go with 5W-40 Motul 300V (not on Porsche approved list) for my annual oil change and LN Engineering's screw-on filter adapter with a high-flow Napa Gold filter recommended and provided by LN. By the way the adapter kit comes with extra o-rings and an installation tool. Very high quality stuff.

I also bought LN's oil test sample kit for $25. Therein lay the problem. My usual doubled-up 2X8 lift solution did not leave enuf space to get the sample bottle out from between the engine and my oil catch pan.

Sooo, (and here it goes downhill) I decided to yank the bottle out and accept some oil spillage. BAD IDEA! I knocked the catch pan out of reach. Despite my vile language the oil continued to flow. Revise that to HOT oil continued to flow.

I finally got the pan in place and went for the cat litter which was AWOL. Had to ask spousal unit to pick some up on the way home and, of course, admit why.

After 10 lbs of cat litter, the rest went well. The adapter went on as advertised and same for the filter. Also replaced the engine oil plug with LN's aluminum plug with magnet in center.

Someone else posted a notable engine quietness with group 5 oil, which I discounted. But there really is much less clatter at idle. Maybe it is just the fresh oil.

I'll post any problems or additional benefits later after more experience.

By the way, I bought half the stuff from Jake Raby (Flat Six) and half directly from LN in order to support both their efforts to support our M96 engines.

I switched from Blackstone to LN to contribute to the database Charles Navarro and Jake share. Data are in different format from Blackstone, but I believe the database is important and URGE all of you M96 owners to do the same and to support Charles and Jake when you can.

Charles also says he is doing everything he can to keep his (American) suppliers working, and I support this effort also.

Note: I have no affiliation with Charles or Jake, but admire both.

One other observation:

One other slight problem. Motul comes in 2 liter metal cans with no pouring tube. No big deal, but after opening the can the slightest squeeze of the can pushes oil. I was certain I'd spill it before it was in position over the filler tube and my funnel.

So I confiscated a 2 quart translucent plastic liquid container with a pouring lip from the kitchen and poured the oil into in one qt at a time. Then into the funnel at the filler tube.

Another problem is that the cans have no pressure relief so the flow is not smooth. Next time I'll use a can opener to make an opening opposite the pouring hole to provide pressure relief and enable smooth pouring.

By the 4th can I was pretty proficient at not squeezing and at pouring smoothly, but still continued to transfer to plastic container. This also facilitated getting an exact fill because the container was translucent AND graduated in quarts/pints/cups.

Reminds me of an oil change I did on my old Ford Escape a couple years ago. I wasn't really paying attention, so I didn't notice the O-ring from the old filter had stuck to the car when I took took it off. I screwed on the new filter and completed the oil change never knowing what was in store for me.

When I cranked over the engine to back the truck out of the garage, oil began spraying out from under the car in every direction. I shut it off quick, but wasn't fast enough to get out of the car and get the already sloshing-full oil pan back under it before it dumped at least another quart on the driveway.

Not my finest work.

I've been wanting to try that screw-on adapter. Sounds like a time saver.

Reminds me of an oil change I did on my old Ford Escape a couple years ago. I wasn't really paying attention, so I didn't notice the O-ring from the old filter had stuck to the car when I took took it off. I screwed on the new filter and completed the oil change never knowing what was in store for me.

When I cranked over the engine to back the truck out of the garage, oil began spraying out from under the car in every direction. I shut it off quick, but wasn't fast enough to get out of the car and get the already sloshing-full oil pan back under it before it dumped at least another quart on the driveway.

Not my finest work.

I've been wanting to try that screw-on adapter. Sounds like a time saver.

I did this on my wife's (long gone) '04 PT Cruiser. The oil pump on that motor emptied 4.5 quarts of the 5.0 quart capacity of the oil system in about 3 seconds. Amazing efficiency of the motor to lose all it's oil in mere seconds.

The stain on my driveway lasted a good 3 months too.

My kids learned/heard new words that they shouldn't ever use until they are at least 18.

Made for good conversations and ribbing from my idoit brother-in-laws.

F, was I pissed when I did that...

Jay

02 986

Edited by Jay H

• 2 years later...

Years ago I was changing the oil in my 69 Comet Cyclone. I drained the oil, changed the filter and proceed to add all 5 quarts of oil. Went into the house and when I came back to the garage… I had 5 quarts of oil all over the floor of the garage. The bad side was all the oil to clean up. The upside was that I didn't start driving the car. Knock on wood… I haven't done that again.

Edited by jesiv

Good... I am not alone in "learning the hard way."

Years ago, while changing the oil I put the new oil filter on, not realizing the old rubber O ring was still on the engine.

I got done, backed the car all the way from the garage, down the driveway into the street leaving a nice 6" wide trail of 4 quarts of oil.

The good thing is that you will only do this once.