Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Buying used GT3 mk1

Northstar

• Moderators

Hi Anders... the answer depends a lot on what you intend to do with the Mk I GT3. If you intend to take it to the track, you may find that the front brakes can be overtaxed, depending on how hard you drive. Many in the UK have upgraded the front brakes to the calipers and rotors of the Mk II and attempted to increase cooling. As for the Mk II, the suspension is a compromise, but biased toward track performance with a street alignment. For dedicated track work you might consider even more track oriented springs, dampers, and alignment. Our friends in the UK get good advice from PARR Garage and in Germany from JZ Machtech. For general street/road use, it's great as it was delivered.

Thanks for the info Craig!

I have had some conversation with Swedish owners regarding what to look for when checking potential buys out.

Yes, they too mention the front brakes. One owner is on his third set of front brake rotors (have upgraded to the GT2 front steel brakes the last time. Is that the same 6-piston brakes as on the mk II?).

When checking ads in Germany some owners have replaced the syncronisation rings (don't know if the translation is correct, but the conical rings in the gear box that is being used when shifting, to get the same rev on the drive shafts as the engine) from brass(?) to steel.

I have found one GT3 Clubsport version that I'm interested in (24000 km on the odo). The CS' are more likely driven more on track events but from a future value point of view a CS should be a better buy? Or?

I intend to use the car mainly in track events and Porsche Club activities.

Carnewal have a GT3 Cup brake ducts upgrade, Carnewal, might be something to go for to spare the front brakes?

Anders

• Moderators

Anders.... Yes, Carnewal (Gert) is a great source of parts for the projects you describe. Since the US did not get the Mk I GT3, we have less, hands on, experience with it vs the Mk II. You should subscribe to the UK GT3 list at gt3@titanic.co.uk. Gary and his gang at Titanic are very well versed in tuning the Mk I GT3. The MK II GT3 gearbox is based on the '01 GT2 gearbox and very much up to the task. The factory updated the Mk II box with steel syncro rings in gears 3-5 for longer life. I'm not sure about the Mk I box. Check with Gert to see if the Mk II brake ducts will fit the Mk I. Gert is a member of this board... he may see this.