Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Massive Coolant Leak

I realize there are many posts on coolant leaks, which I have read in an effort to find a solution to my problem. That said, I've not seemed to find a similar problem to the one I seem to be having. I need some ideas and help before I have my porsche carted off to the dealer...which I'd like to avoid.

I have a 1998 Boxster and returned home after a week's vacation. Took the car out and noticed the red oil light came on when I slowed at a traffic light. Stopped at a gas station and checked the oil (always keep a quart of Mobil 1 in the trunk). That said, I added the quart as it seemed to be down a bit. I also noticed what appeared to be condensation on the inside of the trunk lid above the radiator/oil caps. There also seemed to be a slight bit of radiator fluid that seeped from the cap. Cleaned the very small about of fluid and condensation and decided to run the car very cautiously and monitor the problem.

Took the car out two days ago in about 90 degree heat with the A/C running. Seemed to run fine, temp gauge was about 210F and toward the tail end of the 20 minute ride I pulled up to the driveway to let my father-in-law out...backed up so he could pull his car from the driveway and I could put the Porsche away. Noticed a stream of radiator fluid in the street. Pulled the car in the garage and all hell broke loose....fluid started gushing from the passenger side in front of the tire/wheel well area.

Ordered the Bentley Manual, which arrived today and began to review the coolant section. I've gone through the following:

1. Jacked the car up, checked for coolant drips underneath, but the only spot seemed to be what appears to be the overflow hose (a small tube in the vacinity of the rear passenger tire).

2. No sign of any broken hoses underneath. All hoses appeared dry and intact.

3. Checked trunk area to determine if the resevoir had cracked...completely dry.

4. Removed cover to engine compartment to inspect hoses and found no sign of fluid spray, hose breaks, etc. All looked good.

5. Removed panel behind driver/passenger seat to inspect hoses and water pump....no sign of a break, leak, etc. Every thing was "bone dry".

6. Inspected water pump from underneath and found leaks.

7. Refilled radiator with water and found no leaks.

8. Also pressurized the radiator by opening and closing the pressure valve.

8. Ran the car for about 30 minutes at 2500 - 4000 rpm with A/C on and off, with heater on and off....no leaks.

9. The A/C performed normal and cold, the heater performed normal and hot. Temp of engine during this was about 210F.

Does anyone have an idea of what could have casued the problem? I would be very grateful for suggestions or ideas.

The only thing I haven't done was test the vacuum on the radiator cap as I do not have the tool and a replacement cap is probably cheaper. I have changed the air filter and cleaned leaves and debris from the front radiator's. At this point I am puzzled and a little afraid to drive it to the dealer 30 miles away if I have to.

I realize there are many posts on coolant leaks, which I have read in an effort to find a solution to my problem. That said, I've not seemed to find a similar problem to the one I seem to be having. I need some ideas and help before I have my porsche carted off to the dealer...which I'd like to avoid.

I have a 1998 Boxster and returned home after a week's vacation. Took the car out and noticed the red oil light came on when I slowed at a traffic light. Stopped at a gas station and checked the oil (always keep a quart of Mobil 1 in the trunk). That said, I added the quart as it seemed to be down a bit. I also noticed what appeared to be condensation on the inside of the trunk lid above the radiator/oil caps. There also seemed to be a slight bit of radiator fluid that seeped from the cap. Cleaned the very small about of fluid and condensation and decided to run the car very cautiously and monitor the problem.

Took the car out two days ago in about 90 degree heat with the A/C running. Seemed to run fine, temp gauge was about 210F and toward the tail end of the 20 minute ride I pulled up to the driveway to let my father-in-law out...backed up so he could pull his car from the driveway and I could put the Porsche away. Noticed a stream of radiator fluid in the street. Pulled the car in the garage and all hell broke loose....fluid started gushing from the passenger side in front of the tire/wheel well area.

Ordered the Bentley Manual, which arrived today and began to review the coolant section. I've gone through the following:

1. Jacked the car up, checked for coolant drips underneath, but the only spot seemed to be what appears to be the overflow hose (a small tube in the vacinity of the rear passenger tire).

3. Checked trunk area to determine if the resevoir had cracked...completely dry.

4. Removed cover to engine compartment to inspect hoses and found no sign of fluid spray, hose breaks, etc. All looked good.

5. Removed panel behind driver/passenger seat to inspect hoses and water pump....no sign of a break, leak, etc. Every thing was "bone dry".

8. Ran the car for about 30 minutes at 2500 - 4000 rpm with A/C on and off, with heater on and off....no leaks.

9. The A/C performed normal and cold, the heater performed normal and hot. Temp of engine during this was about 210F.

Does anyone have an idea of what could have casued the problem? I would be very grateful for suggestions or ideas.

The only thing I haven't done was test the vacuum on the radiator cap as I do not have the tool and a replacement cap is probably cheaper. I have changed the air filter and cleaned leaves and debris from the front radiator's. At this point I am puzzled and a little afraid to drive it to the dealer 30 miles away if I have to.

Hi,

No problem, that is normal, it comes from your A/C. it is in the handbook.

Hi,

Plausible if it is indeed condensate and not (coloured) coolant as he implies

Hi,

Plausible if it is indeed condensate and not (coloured) coolant as he implies

This was definately colored coolant that dumped from beaneath the car, on the passenger side. The condesation in the trunk lid just above the caps was clear water. This was a massive dump of coolant, similar to a radiator hose busting. However, all hoses are intact.

• 1 month later...

I can find the reference to the cause of this by the AC in the handbook?

Hi,