Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Per my readings here, I replaced the inner/outer tie rods

I was reading through your posts about suspension noise. I have PSS9s. I replaced the inner and outter tie rods and a lot of the noise is gone. I still have this steering columnish type creaking noise. I did this at the same time as my coolant tank job as mine cracked/leaked.

My symptoms or the noise itself is most audible after the car's been driven and warmed up at parking lot maneuver speeds.

Thanks, guys. Check out those tie rods.

Ben, did you mean above that your symptoms OF the noise WERE "most audible after the car's been driven and warmed up at parking lot maneuver speeds" and that changing out the tie rod ends greatly reduced it, or that those are the sypmtoms of the steering column noise you have left. I've got the same symptoms now, and will change out the tie rod ends if that is the most likely solution. Thanks!

Ben, did you mean above that your symptoms OF the noise WERE "most audible after the car's been driven and warmed up at parking lot maneuver speeds" and that changing out the tie rod ends greatly reduced it, or that those are the sypmtoms of the steering column noise you have left. I've got the same symptoms now, and will change out the tie rod ends if that is the most likely solution. Thanks!

yes, to be extra xtra clear as i know how annoying this prob is for us 911 fanatics...

most audible after the car's been warmed up and in warmer weather... it's this moaning/groaning/creaking noise as you turn the steering wheel at slow parking lot speeds. post new tie rods, that noise is gone, hot and cold. i hear that someone said they did the outer tie rods, but only came to a solution when they replaced the inner tie rod on the driver side. i just decided to get a fresh set so don't have to repay for labor and alignment + peace of mind.

the steering noise is from a diff location and more of a squeaky noise and i've read up on some threads here for some possible solutions but it's not nearly loud or annoying enough for me to pursue it as this point as i've just about spent $3-4K on maintenance/service/tierod/coolant/startermotor/clutch switch work in June.

just trying to enjoy the drive now. my car is prob the healthiest it's ever been which makes me :).

i was thinking th eother day how much i appreciate the tips and tricks from renntech. thx guys.

Edited by Benjamin Choi

Thanks Ben, next time (to anybody looking at fixing this) call Aaron from Suncoast, tell him joel from Miami sent you. He quoted me around $250 for all end tie rods. inners and outers, 4 in total.

Happy it worked out for you. I will try to get my extended warranty fo fix it, if not, I will buy and install it.

joel

Sounds like Ben replaced the same 4 TREs, (2 inner, 2 outer) as 2 parts for $335 in parts vs 4 parts for what Joel is saying for $250...Either one of you have the part numbers to verify we're talking the same thing..I have Bens problem to the tee, we posted this before, and I've GOT to do this so I can just plain enjoy the car this summer!!!

joel, thx for the connect, i sincerely appreciate that but something is awry.

i traditionally buy parts from sunset imports in OR as their prices are very similar to suncoast pricing so either aaron from suncoast's "joel" discount is super special or else. i know my indy matches sunset pricing.

i saw the tie rod. it's just one long piece put together by two separate pieces (inner and outer rods). you need that one long piece for each side of the car.

unfortunately i dn't have the part numbers with me as i just told my indy to pls replace the inner and outer tie rods. perry, so sorry i can't be more detailed around this :( but i have hope. the tie rods absolutely were the culprit. turning the steering wheel is a lot more fun now. :)

joel, thx for the connect, i sincerely appreciate that but something is awry.

i traditionally buy parts from sunset imports in OR as their prices are very similar to suncoast pricing so either aaron from suncoast's "joel" discount is super special or else. i know my indy matches sunset pricing.

i saw the tie rod. it's just one long piece put together by two separate pieces (inner and outer rods). you need that one long piece for each side of the car.

unfortunately i dn't have the part numbers with me as i just told my indy to pls replace the inner and outer tie rods. perry, so sorry i can't be more detailed around this :( but i have hope. the tie rods absolutely were the culprit. turning the steering wheel is a lot more fun now. :)

Ben, glad you solved the tie rod issue. I also order from Sunset and think their prices are about the best. Jeff, and in fact anyone of the guys you speak with, has always been very helpful. But move to LA? Oh boy. Best, j