Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How to replace door window seal

Does anyone know how much door I need to remove to get to the driver's door window seal (#5 in the diagram)?

Do I need to remove the side mirror as well to get to the triangular piece?

I've seen the door removal instruction here but I'm wondering if I need to remove more things to get to this freaking $$$ seal :angry: .

Thanks in advance.

post-5282-1245949171.jpg

I'm tackling this sometime in July after I get back from vacation. When I do it, I'll post a write up and video.

I was quoted $188.99 for the seal (99653808507) from Sunset, but I haven't ordered it yet.

I'm tackling this sometime in July after I get back from vacation. When I do it, I'll post a write up and video.

I was quoted $188.99 for the seal (99653808507) from Sunset, but I haven't ordered it yet.

Wow that would be great. I look forward to it and thanks in advance!

Um... item 5 is 996.537.531.06

Yes, the inner door panel, inside of the mirror control, and window guide rail (item 6) (as I recall) - but I don't think the outside mirror need to come off.

Thanks, Loren. Yes, I got the same part# as you listed above.

• Moderators

The outside mirror need to be removed as well, and a lot of silicone spray is needed to get the seal, in the mirror area, in place. The mirror part of the seal is the point to start with.

The outside mirror need to be removed as well, and a lot of silicone spray is needed to get the seal, in the mirror area, in place. The mirror part of the seal is the point to start with.

Thanks, RFM. Will keep that in mind.

• 1 month later...

I think I may have found a solution for the dragging window seal problem. For my underwater camera housings I have to use silicone grease on all the rubber to lock out the water and make a good seal. This is essentially the same stuff as dielectric grease like you'd use on your light bulbs or spark plugs boots on a car, so I switched over to using that because it's 99 cents a tube at the auto parts store instead of $6 plus shipping from the camera stores. My windows were driving me crazy because they weren't rolling down without me pushing on top of them due to the grabbing rubber weatherstrip, and I have to roll them down every day to get into my office parking garage. I just hadn't had time to order the new seal and pull the doors apart.

Well, in desperation, I slather those seals up both inside and outside with dielectric grease. I especially ran my finger over that leading edge many times and tried to rub off any sharp burs that seemed to be sticking out. I let it sit for a day and then gave it a good wipedown since I don't want that stuff on my arm or shirts everytime I reach through the windows.

It's been six weeks now, and neither seal has stuck on the window again. The passenger side makes a fingers-rubbing-a-balloon sound, so I need to work it over again to see if I can stop that, but I'm so happy to having them sliding this long without a problem. Plus, it saved several hundred dollars.

I think I may have found a solution for the dragging window seal problem. For my underwater camera housings I have to use silicone grease on all the rubber to lock out the water and make a good seal. This is essentially the same stuff as dielectric grease like you'd use on your light bulbs or spark plugs boots on a car, so I switched over to using that because it's 99 cents a tube at the auto parts store instead of $6 plus shipping from the camera stores. My windows were driving me crazy because they weren't rolling down without me pushing on top of them due to the grabbing rubber weatherstrip, and I have to roll them down every day to get into my office parking garage. I just hadn't had time to order the new seal and pull the doors apart.

Well, in desperation, I slather those seals up both inside and outside with dielectric grease. I especially ran my finger over that leading edge many times and tried to rub off any sharp burs that seemed to be sticking out. I let it sit for a day and then gave it a good wipedown since I don't want that stuff on my arm or shirts everytime I reach through the windows.

It's been six weeks now, and neither seal has stuck on the window again. The passenger side makes a fingers-rubbing-a-balloon sound, so I need to work it over again to see if I can stop that, but I'm so happy to having them sliding this long without a problem. Plus, it saved several hundred dollars.

Glad to know your problem has been solved.

I remember removing and reinstalling that seal when I removed my door panel one time.

I think the mirror has to come off as well, but that is an easy step anyway, no big deal.

No problems with the seal like what RFM mentioned though.

However, pay attention to make sure the weather strip is seated correctly when you install the side mirror.

I had mine pinched at one point under the mirror and only saw that after all was done, had to go way back to fix it!

Edited by CosmosC4S