Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bleeder on coolant tank?

Is the blleder on the coolant tank only for bleeding the air in the system or to take expansion when hot and does it open when there is too much pressure????

How does it work in normal running operation?

Is the coolant level same cold and hot?

Thanks to you guys!

2003 996 Targa

3,6L

Edited by elgrand

• Admin
ok but can i have too much pressure in the system if the bleeder is not working well?

From my experience the bleeder works well and when it doesn't work it is because it leaks.

I do not think I have seen an instance where it failed to release too much pressure - besides I think the tank cap is the backup release for way too much pressure.

Why are you concerned? Normally the pressure is pretty high in the system.

I had low coolant level but no apparent leak.I had refill it 2 or 3 times but it always lower the level and there is a lot of pressure in the tank.

I have a new tank cap finish by 03.

Maybe lot of air in system?

When i open the tank slowly (When hot),the liquid come back to normal level with sound of bubbles

What do you think?

Edited by elgrand

• Admin

Yes, could have been just air.

When I added the 3rd radiator to my car it took about a week of checking and topping up before all the air bled out.

Of course you could go to a shop and have them vacuum drain and vacuum refill it for you - for $$$$.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2000 996 C4 cab and I think I have the same problem. Is there a "right way" to bleed the coolant system. I watched coolent burp out of it the other morning after my drive to work (from below the coolant resevoir) and noticed that the bleeder valve was in the open position. The coolant level was at the min level when I checked it that evening when it was cold.

Thoughts?

You can have a cracked tank or a bad tank cap.If the cap number finish by 01,it can be the cause.The new cap finish by 03.

The bleeding is explain and discuss many time on the site and it's not easy to do.Must be patient.

Good lock!

• Admin
You can have a cracked tank or a bad tank cap.If the cap number finish by 01,it can be the cause.The new cap finish by 03.

The bleeding is explain and discuss many time on the site and it's not easy to do.Must be patient.

Good lock!

Sorry, the only know problem cap ends in 00.

That does not mean a newer cap will not fail but the 00 caps all fail.

I have a 2000 996 C4 cab and I think I have the same problem. Is there a "right way" to bleed the coolant system. I watched coolent burp out of it the other morning after my drive to work (from below the coolant resevoir) and noticed that the bleeder valve was in the open position. The coolant level was at the min level when I checked it that evening when it was cold.

Thoughts?

You fill the tank until it is the right level when cold, then run the motor till hot with the bleeder valve open, then let it cool, and do it again and again until the coolant level does not change. You can drive around for a while with the bleeder valve open if you have the coolant level close to right to facilitate the hot bleeding.