Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Sticker on Sunvisor removal and Velcro under seats

I am looking to remove the sticker from my visors and also I am taking out my rear seats and wanted to know how to do this. I know that the sticker on the visor should be able to come out, but what solution do i need to use, and also the velcro under the rear seats, how can i get rid of the velcro patches? What solution should i use. Thanks in advance

Pistol

I am looking to remove the sticker from my visors and also I am taking out my rear seats and wanted to know how to do this.  I know that the sticker on the visor should be able to come out, but what solution do i need to use, and also the velcro under the rear seats, how can i get rid of the velcro patches? What solution should i use. Thanks in advance

Pistol

I left the velcro in my car when I removed the seats because I didn't see any way to get it off without damaging the carpet or leaving a mark. Besides in my car, black velcro in a black interior was hardly noticeable. Getting the seats out is pretty straighforward. The one thing that may not be obvious is that you have to pry off the plastic piece that covers the hinge in the center. Loosen the set screw on the hinge post which will allow you to slide the hinge to one side or the other, giving enough clearance to remove the seats.

As to the visors, I used denatured alcohol (ethyl alcohol, NOT isopropyl alcohol commonly known as rubbing alcohol), available at any hardware store. Remove the visor from the car. "Paint" the sticker with the denatured alcohol, being careful not to get any on the vanity mirror hinges as it will dissolve the glue which holds them in place. Use a Q-tip or small paint brush to apply more alcohol along the edge of the sticker. After a while it will begin to wrinkle so you can start to peel it up. As you peel it, very slowly, apply more alcohol with the Q-tip to the junction between the sticker and the visor. If you are careful, you should be able to get the sticker off in one piece. There may be some residue left on the visor. A towel dipped in alcohol, and some gentle rubbing, should get rid of the rest. Treat the visor with some vinyl preservative and reinstall. This process isn't hard, it just takes time and some patience.

• Admin

I used rubbing alcohol on the visors (not isopropyl). Also, make sure you keep it away from the hinges or other parts. I used Q-tips and alcohol will soften the rubberized like labels and then they will just peel off. Take your time as the alcohol takes some time to work... probably 15-20 minute per visor.

The velcro is also just stuck on. It might help to warm the velcro slightly with a hair dryer. If you still have sticky stuff remain on the carpet use a gum or tar remover designed for indoor carpeting.

Am I right in assuming that this process will NOT work on leather visors? :confused:

Don,

The vinyl sunvisors hold up to the denatured alcohol just fine, because they don't absorb it and are basically indestructable anyway. Although I've never tried it, I'd be really afraid to use it on leather. It is a solvent after all. It would almost certainly soak into the leather and would probably break down and bleach out the leather dyes, at the very least. Not what you want to see on a $300 sun visor. :eek:

I have graphite grey leather visors but the lid which has the sticker is black vinyl. I was careful to not let the alcohol or the goo-gone touch the leather. It will definitely damage/discolor it. I thought all the visors had a vinyl lid, even the leather ones.

Raffi,

You're correct, the leather visors still use a plastic mirror cover. There are actually two stickers on a new car. The one on the exposed side of the visor is stuck directly to the leather. I found the best way to remove this is to heat it with a gun or hairdryer. Once it's warm, it peels right off the leather. The remaining small amount of residue will clean right off by rubbing gently with your finger or some leather cleaner. Treat the leather with Neatsfoot when you're done and it will be perfect. Don't try and peel the sticker off without heating it. The sticker will come off but you'll have a lot of sticky residue left and it's h*ll to get off without damaging the leather.

The sticker on the hidden side of the visor is pasted right on the plastic mirror cover. I think on this one the denatured alchol will work fine. Just avoid getting it on the leather or mirror hinges as everyone else has said.

Karl

• 1 year later...

I've tried the technique of using Ethyl Rubbing Alcohol to remove the stickers from both sides of the sun visor, but to no avail. I heavily coated the stickers and waited and nothing at all happens. Today the stickers look exactly the same. The ERA didn't hurt any part of the visor, which was good.

Are the new (05' 996) visor stickers the same as when this post was posted?(July 03')

Any other suggestions on removing the stickers? I'll try a blowdryer next to heat them up I guess.

There is a more elegant solution. I have full graphite leather as well. Someone is selling silver stickers on Ebay which cover the airbag label completely, and look great. I remember a thread several months ago with pictures. I did it, and it was a lot of bang for 10 bucks.

I used a heat gun on both stickers and was very happy with the results. I started on one end heating the sticker with the gun and, using an exacto knife, slowly picked (scraped) up one end. Then was able to slowly peel back the sticker. I found it easiest to just slowly roll back the sticker turning the knife and rolling up the sticker around the knife. Took about 10-15 minutes each for the larger stickers. Less for the smaller sticker.

The larger stickers (mirror side) cleaned up flawlessly. The smaller stickers left a slight sheen on the visor. However, the visors were about 3 years old when I did this. They were/are vinyl.