Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Portable GPS Mounting

Hi, I love the dash on my 2001 986 and wouldn't want to change it. However, I would like to use a portable GPS unit. The usual place to stick these is on the windscreen. However this leaves an unsightly ring which is also a thief's invitation to break in and steal the GPS. I was thinking of mounting the unit to the dash using 3M velcro-type patches, but there's not a lot of room as one needs to keep the air bag area free. Does anyone have any nifty solutions for mounting a GPS to the 986?

Hi, I love the dash on my 2001 986 and wouldn't want to change it. However, I would like to use a portable GPS unit. The usual place to stick these is on the windscreen. However this leaves an unsightly ring which is also a thief's invitation to break in and steal the GPS. I was thinking of mounting the unit to the dash using 3M velcro-type patches, but there's not a lot of room as one needs to keep the air bag area free. Does anyone have any nifty solutions for mounting a GPS to the 986?

What unit did you choose? I'm considering using the lower storage/cubby, that way the unit is out of sight when not in use, slide/pull out and fold up or down for use... have to pick a unit first, most units should fit, and the cable would go out the back of the storage unit...

I mounted my gps on the console cubby of my boxster with a rubber o ring and a small paper clamp clipped in the seam above the shifter. It swivels while i turn. The rubber case I bought for my gps has a belt clip and I hooked the rubber ring on that. Perfecto

I placed the circular dash disk one the bottom of the dash (upside down), in the passenger footwell and next to the console.

you cannot see it because my interior is black.

I also had to modify my GPS windshield mount a little by turning one of the arms upside down to match.

it was no big deal with my unit, undo the bold, flip arm, replace bolt.

I am going on vacation today and leaving from work or I would have taken a picture of it when I got home.

I hope it helps.

Halo

I wouldn't do anything too permanent that you might regret. I think within two years everyone will just be using the GPS on their phones, so all you'd need is a phone mount coming out of your cigarette lighter.

Already do and found a good use for the right side cup holder.

It is a perfect resting spot/slot for my Blackjack II Smartphone.

Keeps it in site for GPS and incoming calls and the power cord doesn't have to go to far to the cigarette lighter

Edited by drem914

The whole GPS thing has been kind of driving me crazy. I've been too cheap to pay for the whole in-dash thing. Then, last year I saw a deal on a Pioneer unit that hooked into the stereo and your iPod, phone, etc. It seemed amazing, but then I had to buy another $100 worth of cables to connected the iPod. So now I've got this big Pioneer unit hooked to the windshield with 6' of cables hanging off one side for the iPod connection and the Aux to my Becker, then I've got 3' of cable hanging off the other side for power. Then, even though I used shielded cables and a ground loop isolater for my Aux hook-up, apparently the Pioneer unit itself wasn't shielded/grounded, so I had the worst alternator hum coming through it, which then negated the usefulness of running it through the stereo and using it to control the iPod/iPhone. Plus, I had the same dilemma of attempting to hide all that equipment every time I parked the car.

The thing was such a big, wiry, messy hassle, I only used it twice. Now, 8 months later, the Pioneer unit has been relegated to use as a remote video monitor for my film work (using the back-up camera input), and my iPhone 3Gs does all the navigation work.

The technology is changing so fast.

Cup holder sounds like a plan. I've never deployed the beverage sherpas before. If I can up with something particularly elegant I shall report back.

There's stuff like this everywhere - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1138084373294

I'm sure you could find something compatible with your unit. Or you could just find a cup that fits your cupholders well, put a weight in the bottom of it, put your mount inside it, and fill it with resin.

• 2 weeks later...

okay, I finally took some photos.

post-12447-1248635210_thumb.jpg

from the drivers seat

post-12447-1248635275_thumb.jpg

GPS removed for clarity.

post-12447-1248635353_thumb.jpg

view from the under side.

post-12447-1248635487_thumb.jpg

with GPS removed you can slightly see the mounting disk from the drivers seat.

wow, looks like have to do a little dusting.

I hope this help you out.

Halo

Halo, I had a similar brainwave! I was messing about with the mount for a Tomtom GPS and came up with this:

3779480549_3777e3f32e.jpg

This pic also shows the iWireP iPod cable, which works perfectly, thus allowing me to free up the CD holder real estate.

I used the same disk as you, I think, but mounted it on the underside of the inside of the sunglasses bin, a location enabled by the rather elegant design of the Tomtom mount:

3779480875_519d68c773.jpg

I think this is the best solution for our 986s. If the mount is removed the disk is almost invisible. A bit of WD-40 and patience should have the disk off if you want to really go "standard" standard.

I hope this is useful to anyone else planning a discreet and removable GPS install.

Hey: If anyone knows where to get those sleeves that "fatten up" the cigarette lighter plug to fit our extra-wide cigarette lighter sockets, please let me know.

Edited by Chigurh

Chigurth,

that is where I wanted to put the mount but as you see from my photos, my mount has a higher standoff from the disk.

yours is perfect, maybe I will switch mine out for a TOMTOM when mine breaks.

as for the sleeve, I thought they had something at Radio Shack.

good minds think alike.

Halo

• 2 months later...

I did this low-cost/no-cost gps mount today. Using a form fitted block of bondo reinforced with a plate of 1/8" aluminum, I attached the gps to the upper panel of the dash just to the right of the emergency light button with some velcro. It's fully removeable, except for the fuzzy part of the velcro. which could be peeled off if necessary, and is pretty much invisible.

First picture shows the result. Next picture shows a wad of bondo in a plastic bag, after I form fit it using the gps bracket. I cut off the excess from the bondo on the bandsaw, then screwed on an aluminum plate. Next mounted two #4 screws onto the plate for sliding on the gps mounting bracket, then spraypainted the whole thing black. The rest was 2" wide peel n stick velcro from a sewing store. I added some peel and stick thin rubber for the bottom.

I like how the power cord naturally runs out of the way now. The high-mount of the gps is safer than one at radio-level, but not as good as windshield mounted. It stays in place very nicely and is simple to pull off and tuck away.

post-37443-1255220885_thumb.jpg

post-37443-1255220911_thumb.jpg

post-37443-1255220964_thumb.jpg

post-37443-1255220991_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

In case anyone is still looking for a solution...

I was looking for a solution to mount my Garmin 670 GPS and wire it into the CR220. I ended up mounting it in front of the tray immediately below the CR220. To do this I taped two metal brackets to the inside of the tray using double sided tape. The brackets I used were taken from the back of an old PC (the PCI expansion port covers). I fastened the standard Garmin mount to the steel brackets using one of the screws from the Garmin mount and a small zip tie.

I then wired the Garmin power cable into the switched 12V supply behind the stereo, and the headphone jack into the aux input to the CR220 using the adapter available from Becker. It took a bit of time, but the result was much better than I had hoped.

The result

- the GPS turns itself on and off automatically

- I use the Bluetooth feature of the GPS to make telephone calls using the car's amp/speakers. Works perfectly

- I have a 16Gb flash card in the GPS that allows me to store all the music I need. I can easily browse and play music while driving

- using the GPS touch screen is very convenient since it is only an inch or two away from my right hand when driving :-)

The wiring was pretty trivial and the only permanent impact on the car is a small hole at the back of the plastic tray that I drilled in order to get the wiring to the CR220.

post-32729-1263265385_thumb.jpg

post-32729-1263265397_thumb.jpg

do you have a photo(s)? and where did you get it?

halo

Sorry I didn't see your responce. I place it in the right most center vent so it doesn't block the AC controls only the cup holder.

Search for: Arkon Removable Air Vent Mount For Garmin nuvi

Sears.com had good pictures.

• 4 years later...