Jump to content

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)
MechanicalEng

Help with Battery

Recommended Posts

Hey guys

I purchased an 02 996TT last January from a P-dealer, the car is CPOd. The battery on the car was very old (2004) and it had a blue/green foam that accumulated on one of the terminals. I replaced the battery with a new on 3 weeks ago and cleaned the terminal. Yesterday I opened the battery cover and found the bluish/greenish stuff all over the same terminal again. my questions are:

1) are those symptoms of a faulty alternator/electrical system (overcharging the battery)??

2) will my CPO cover this?

thanks a lot for your help

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
    You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

1. Yes, possibly. It would be best to measure the voltage at the battery with the engine running.

2. Probably not - batteries are consumables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.check for any crack(post area) + vent line,,,,terminal corrosion is usually caused by hydrogen gas gasing(venting out)

2.check all the main wiring

3.dis-simillar metal can also be responsible for this, take a look at your terminal connection (battery post being lead againt coated copper/stamped steele?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Be sure that the battery vent line is connected.
Very good point!

I installed the new battery myself and I made sure the vent was conected, I am not expecting them to pay for the new battery I got 3 weeks ago, I was asking if they would replace the alternator... I have a Fluke meter, should I let the engine idle and read the voltage at the battery terminals? what voltage should I read?

Thanks..

Edited by MechanicalEng

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it reads normal, around 14v I believe, but I dont trust the gauge... I just droped the car at the dealer yesterday, they will look at the battery and at a check engine light that came on last weekend (secondary air pump) I will let you know the results...

thanks for your help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Voltage should be between between 13.80 Volts and 14.50 Volts at idle.

Hey Loren,

I have an '03 996 C2. After driving, my voltage read 13.43 VDC at the

battery terminals. Would it be the battery, voltage regulator, or alternator?

The battery is a couple months shy of 2 years old.

I am going to get my battery load tested today or this week. Is it possible to

have a battery on a battery maintainer (Porsche) too much?

TIA

Regards,

Paul

:renntech:

Edited by PDL996

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That voltage is just a little low. AC and all fans should be off during the measurement.

Any large current draws?

The battery test is essential as a bad battery simply will not take a charge as it should.

If it is a "maintainer" then it should be shutting off when the battery is at capacity - a "charger" does not do that and can damage a battery by over charging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That voltage is just a little low. AC and all fans should be off during the measurement.

Any large current draws?

The battery test is essential as a bad battery simply will not take a charge as it should.

If it is a "maintainer" then it should be shutting off when the battery is at capacity - a "charger" does not do that and can damage a battery by over charging.

I performed a test. The battery maintainer automatically shut off. Drove the car for an

hour and made 2 stops. Returned home. Made sure that everything was off and measured

the voltage at the battery terminals. It measured 13.43 VDC at idle. I am going to get the

battery load tested next weekend.

What would be considered a normal current draw? I'll have to measure the current and isolate

the circuit that has a large draw, if one is found.

TIA

Regards,

Paul

:renntech:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Voltage should be between between 13.80 Volts and 14.50 Volts at idle.

Hey Loren,

I have an '03 996 C2. After driving, my voltage read 13.43 VDC at the

battery terminals. Would it be the battery, voltage regulator, or alternator?

The battery is a couple months shy of 2 years old.

I am going to get my battery load tested today or this week. Is it possible to

have a battery on a battery maintainer (Porsche) too much?

Are you having problems with slow cranking speeds or starting issues? A few 10th/volt low is nothing to be worry about unless you have other issues.

TIA

Regards,

Paul

:renntech:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Voltage should be between between 13.80 Volts and 14.50 Volts at idle.

Hey Loren,

I have an '03 996 C2. After driving, my voltage read 13.43 VDC at the

battery terminals. Would it be the battery, voltage regulator, or alternator?

The battery is a couple months shy of 2 years old.

I am going to get my battery load tested today or this week. Is it possible to

have a battery on a battery maintainer (Porsche) too much?

Are you having problems with slow cranking speeds or starting issues? A few 10th/volt low is nothing to be worry about unless you have other issues.

I seem to be having some slow cranking speeds and the start does not sound right all of the time.

TIA

Regards,

Paul

:renntech:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.