Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

AOS, black exhaust, oil consumption

Wondering if someone can help explain the color of my exhaust?

My 2003 C4S (just passed 30,000 km or 18,600 mi) is creeping up to 1L per 600 - 700 km and seems to be worse when driven hard. I had someone follow me to check out the exhaust and appartently I look like a diesel (black exhaust) when stepping on it from start (espescially out the left side).

After doing some research through this forum (which has been very helpful), it looks like the first place to start would be the AOS. This makes sense to me but I would have expected my exhaust to be blue if it was burning oil. Could the black exhaust be a faulty sensor (due to oil bypass through AOS maybe) making things too rich? Any comments are greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

• Moderators

I could be wrong, but i do not trust the cylinder bank 1 (right side) efficiency, given the different exhaust color left and right and the excessive oil consumption. Let check the compression and do a cyl. leak test to be sure.

I run about 5 gallons of racing gas to clean the tops

of the pistons. Then I would check the exhaust again.

The compression test is the best. It is alot of work

because the spark plugs are so deep seated.

Paul