Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2002 C2 Coolant tank replacement

Ok so I read the 996 C2 coolant tank replacement, however it is for a model year 99. Has anyone replaced a tank on a 2002 C2? I have worked on a lot of cars and I cannot figure out how to get the tank back in. There seems to be no way of fitting the tank back in without taking the upper bracket off, but then there seems to be no way of getting the upper bracket back on. The only way, and I repeat, ONLY way I can guess on how to get the tank back in is to lower the engine. How do you lower the engine? Where are the motor mounts? There are two in the back and there seems to be two that the rear suspension hangs on.

The tank was just an absolute joy to get out, the lower fitting hits on the fuel injection rail. I wish I knew some German curse words as I sure could have used them. The little spring clamp on the lower hose had rotated and it was near impossible to get off.

Please help.

Ok so I read the 996 C2 coolant tank replacement, however it is for a model year 99. Has anyone replaced a tank on a 2002 C2? I have worked on a lot of cars and I cannot figure out how to get the tank back in. There seems to be no way of fitting the tank back in without taking the upper bracket off, but then there seems to be no way of getting the upper bracket back on. The only way, and I repeat, ONLY way I can guess on how to get the tank back in is to lower the engine. How do you lower the engine? Where are the motor mounts? There are two in the back and there seems to be two that the rear suspension hangs on.

The tank was just an absolute joy to get out, the lower fitting hits on the fuel injection rail. I wish I knew some German curse words as I sure could have used them. The little spring clamp on the lower hose had rotated and it was near impossible to get off.

Please help.

Well on the plus side I finally figured out why they put 18mm sockets in sets. Any one want a low mile 996 cab? This car is way too hard to work on, time for a Corvette

• 4 weeks later...

Please help.

Lower the engine and remove the two bolts holding the fuel rail on and push it down and it will go right in. It's really easy once you figure it out. Dropping the engine and the fuel rail is 10 minutes.....

Tony

There is no need to lower the engine, it takes a careful hand and don't get to forceful and the tank will fit in with no problems.

Not a chance of it fitting without lowering the engine. Car is a 2002, maybe first gen 996 is easier. Lowering the engine is a breeze, beats spending 3 hrs bashing your knuckles.