Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

DIY Breakes and rotors need advice

I am a new Boxster owner my brake light wear indicator light is on. i think i need new pads and rotors. how hard is it to change on own? i have done brakes / calipers / lines on other veh. will i need to replace pin / wear light line etc.. can someone send me a link to were i can download instructions on how to do this? What advice does anyone have for pads and type of rotors to use or to stay away from? Thanks in advance for any help.

Ibnole

Brake pads, easy, you should have a book since you haven't done it. I don't know whats hot in rotors except that the Boxster has very good brakes and unless your racing or spending long hours on and off them, from what I understand, drilled rotors are overkill. (I'm sure there will be disagreement here).

I think rotors are sort of a scam. Before you replace them, look them over for gouging (even if, you may be able to have them turned) mike (measure thickness) them. The tolerances are in book. if they're in tolerance forget about them. You can get a decent micrometer at Autozone or whoever. (a little tricky to learn to work...ask the clerk.

Regards, PK

Edited by pk2

I am a new Boxster owner my brake light wear indicator light is on. i think i need new pads and rotors. how hard is it to change on own? i have done brakes / calipers / lines on other veh. will i need to replace pin / wear light line etc.. can someone send me a link to were i can download instructions on how to do this? What advice does anyone have for pads and type of rotors to use or to stay away from? Thanks in advance for any help.

Ibnole

Ibnole:

Once you get your hands on a micrometer, these are the specifications for the thickness of brake rotors on a Boxster (Boxter S dimensions are different):

Brake rotor wear limit

Front: 22 mm (0.866 in.)

Rear: 18 mm (0.709 in.)

By contrast, new brake rotor dimensions are:

Front: 24 mm (0.944 in)

Rear: 20 mm (0.787 in.)

Regards, Maurice.

Ibnole

Ibnole:

Once you get your hands on a micrometer, these are the specifications for the thickness of brake rotors on a Boxster (Boxter S dimensions are different):

Brake rotor wear limit

Front: 22 mm (0.866 in.)

Rear: 18 mm (0.709 in.)

By contrast, new brake rotor dimensions are:

Front: 24 mm (0.944 in)

Rear: 20 mm (0.787 in.)

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks so much!

Ibnole

Here is a website for DIY.

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/proje.../change_rotors/

I completed the pad and rotor replacement two weeks ago and it was not bad at all. Sunset imports has good pricing for all your parts. I also bought a pump for the reservoir and the few tools needed. On a scale of 1-5 this job was a 2.5