Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

LN Engineering spin-on filter adapter

Anyone ever read the history of Lamborghini?

He owned a Ferrari and when it was time for a clutch replacement he took it to Ferrari and was floored at the price.

So he decided to take it to his "tractor factory" and have one of his techs replace it. Seems that a tractors clutch was

the exact same design.

This is where he learnt all about Perceived Value.

Porsche has done a great job of selling a cheap product at a high price. People believe that Porsche is run by engineers

but in reality the bean counters are running the show. Short term thinking will get their immediate money but will

Eventually fail when the reputation becomes that of Skoda.

Remember the 2.7 liter motors used in 911's from 1974 through 1977? Those motors failed at mileage as low as 30,000. Most of the warm climate motors were having major issues by 60,000 miles.

Have you ever owned a 1989, 1990 or 1991 964 that had a cylinder to head leak that puked all over or made your car's value tank?

What about the 3.2 liter motors from 1984 to 1989 that had their valve guides completely wear out by 60,000 miles.

Ask a 1996 to 1998 993 owner if they enjoy the air injection issues that won't let them pass emissions anymore.

Ask a 924 Turbo owner on how often they fix their car. What about the 928 owners with complex electrical issues that can't be resolved easily or cheaply either?

Man, lots of complaining about how bad Porsche is... If you really hate these cars so much, you should sell them quickly and move on to another maker. I got sick of the issues with my 2002 986. So, I fixed it to the extent that it would make for good resale value and bought a brand new one with a 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty. If it breaks, Porsche can fix it. I'll trade it before the warranty gives up or fix it if it breaks out of warranty. I really enjoy driving these cars and nothing else compares in my mind.

The days of hand built German cars that will last for 200,000 miles are long over. No one can built such mass market cars and compete successfully. I have a 1984 911 and a 1990 911. Those cars are built like tanks. Porsche will never do that again. Who can other than the boutique makers that produce cars in the hundreds, not thousands per year.

However, give vendors like Jake enough time to really understand these issues and provide solutions and you'll find that a 986 can become a bullet proof car just like all these other models I list above that now have solid, aftermarket solutions to their problems. Prices for the fixes may even come down as time wears on and R&D costs can be absorbed through more sales.

Yes, Porsche didn't get to solve all their issues right from the start. But, would you rather be driving an Accord or Camry? Seriously, have you driven one of those cars on a twisty back road or on a race track? Do you pull up to your local Dairy Queen car show in your Altima and expect people to look at it or ask you all kinds of questions about it? Those cars are bulletproof, but are insanely boring to drive and look at. If you want to drive fast, well handling, head turning, exceptional road feel German cars, you have to pay up. Anything else is a compromise.

Edited by Jay H

Its all about evolution...

The manufacturer creates the vehicle, makes their money off of it and pay the SMEs too much money for doing not much of anything...

Then the aftermarket led by a group of innovative hard-chargers that live to modify what is "Engineered" perfect it... Thats just the way it works...

While the manufacturer is busy claiming that issues don't exist we are using that time to "fix" them.

While the manufacturer is busy claiming that issues don't exist we are using that time to "fix" them.

And hopefully you are making a really good living off of Porsche's failures. The flip side to your hard labor (and profits) is that we, the owners, can make these design flawed cars much more bullet proof and enjoyable.

Edited by Jay H

Remember the 2.7 liter motors used in 911's from 1974 through 1977? Those motors failed at mileage as low as 30,000. Most of the warm climate motors were having major issues by 60,000 miles.

Have you ever owned a 1989, 1990 or 1991 964 that had a cylinder to head leak that puked all over or made your car's value tank?

What about the 3.2 liter motors from 1984 to 1989 that had their valve guides completely wear out by 60,000 miles.

Ask a 1996 to 1998 993 owner if they enjoy the air injection issues that won't let them pass emissions anymore.

Ask a 924 Turbo owner on how often they fix their car. What about the 928 owners with complex electrical issues that can't be resolved easily or cheaply either?

Man, lots of complaining about how bad Porsche is... If you really hate these cars so much, you should sell them quickly and move on to another maker. I got sick of the issues with my 2002 986. So, I fixed it to the extent that it would make for good resale value and bought a brand new one with a 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty. If it breaks, Porsche can fix it. I'll trade it before the warranty gives up or fix it if it breaks out of warranty. I really enjoy driving these cars and nothing else compares in my mind.

The days of hand built German cars that will last for 200,000 miles are long over. No one can built such mass market cars and compete successfully. I have a 1984 911 and a 1990 911. Those cars are built like tanks. Porsche will never do that again. Who can other than the boutique makers that produce cars in the hundreds, not thousands per year.

However, give vendors like Jake enough time to really understand these issues and provide solutions and you'll find that a 986 can become a bullet proof car just like all these other models I list above that now have solid, aftermarket solutions to their problems. Prices for the fixes may even come down as time wears on and R&D costs can be absorbed through more sales.

Yes, Porsche didn't get to solve all their issues right from the start. But, would you rather be driving an Accord or Camry? Seriously, have you driven one of those cars on a twisty back road or on a race track? Do you pull up to your local Dairy Queen car show in your Altima and expect people to look at it or ask you all kinds of questions about it? Those cars are bulletproof, but are insanely boring to drive and look at. If you want to drive fast, well handling, head turning, exceptional road feel German cars, you have to pay up. Anything else is a compromise.

Well said Jay. I would have to say I agree completely. I have three in my garage/driveway and there is nothing else I would rather drive.

All the best,

Bill :beer:

Jake installed the spin on adapter on my car, and I'm happy with it. Many aircraft engines were originally designed using paper filters and now we use spin on's on them. Time has shown that they do just fine (like 40 years or so of experience).

Maybe Porsche engine quality will improve under VW?

My comment was in jest...I'll leave it up to Jake and Charles to provide quality parts for my engine.