Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Setting and getting garage door opener to work and possible spare tir

Hello all, I am in need of some advice; I recently got into a 05 Boxster and I am loving it. It is my first Porsche and I am very happy!

Anyhow as I was reading the owners manual I came across the section the takes you through training the car to accept and then operate ones Garage door or gate and what have you. I have cleared the the codes as instructed, then depressed one of the three buttons I would like to use for the garage and then help my original garage opener in front of the car and the parking lights signaled that the car did receive the signal. Now when I try to use the newly programmed car button the garage will not open or close. I have even tried programming this away from the house. Looking for tips and pointers.

Second with the 986 spare tire actually fit the 987 lug pattern?

Thanks in advance

Z

this article has some info... if you don't find it there, search for "homelink".

Don't know about the spare tire. I believe the lug patterns are the same, but not all rims will fit other porsches. I don't think the 986 spare will fit in the trunk of the 987, either ... not without mods.

I dont have a garage opener on my 996 but i do know what i had to do with my lexus. They use a rolling code door on all new garage door openers. You need to physically go over to the garage opener and press the button on it which should put it into discovery mode. Then you will have something like a minute to do what is required for the Boxster opener

Hello all, I am in need of some advice; I recently got into a 05 Boxster and I am loving it. It is my first Porsche and I am very happy!

Anyhow as I was reading the owners manual I came across the section the takes you through training the car to accept and then operate ones Garage door or gate and what have you. I have cleared the the codes as instructed, then depressed one of the three buttons I would like to use for the garage and then help my original garage opener in front of the car and the parking lights signaled that the car did receive the signal. Now when I try to use the newly programmed car button the garage will not open or close. I have even tried programming this away from the house. Looking for tips and pointers.

Thanks in advance

Z

Thanks in advance

Z

I second what beauar is saying... not only do you need to program your car to learn your garage code, you need to program your garage to learn your car. There should be a button on the garage door mechanism (mine is a small black button near the light bulb) that will allow the opener to learn a new remote device. simply push this button, and then depres the programmed homelink button on your Porsche (hold it down for a second). then release and push again, garage door should now work properly with the homelink.

I have a 987 Boxster s. For long distance touring i carry a 105/90/17 spare wheel / jack and wheel brace kit from a 986. The wheel diameter isn't an exact match for the 987 , but it will get you to a tyre repair facility. Even carrying the spare in the front I still have space for luggage. If the tyre has more than a slight puncture , the provided glue will not inflate sufficiently to get you mobile again. Also bear in mind that using the glue will write off the existing tyre , even if the puncture could be repaired. Some tyre fitters will not work on wheels that have been repaired with glue because the glue messes up their equipment and takes an age to clean up afterwards. The space saver wheel must be the 17" design to allow clearance over the boxster S caliper, which incidentally is the same as the 986. The removed wheel can either be carried inside the car , or in my case I made up a rubber mat to put on the top of the rear cover and carry some bungee chords to secure it in place. After fitting the bungee chords inside the rear boot , the lid can be closed and the wheel placed on top. Since you are limited to about 50 mph with the space saver anyway , the rear wheel doesn't need any more fixing than bungee chords to keep it in place. I would also suggest that keeping the rear spoiler raised would also give extra support in case of any mild slippage. This isn't intended as an onward travel solution, just enough to get you to a tyre repair facility or off the motorway. If you are carrying a passenger or luggage it also allows you to continue onwards with the minimum of inconvenience.

IMG_9350.jpg

IMG_9349.jpg

Edited by berty987