Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Picked up a new 2010 Porsche 997 GT3

sharkster

2010_997_GT3_SharkWerks_Project_Car_First_Day_Shots_14.JPG

In conjunction with Shark Week (hope you guys are all watching) I picked up an Arctic Silver 2010 997 GT3 MKII car today from our friends at Carlsen (Gary Q was great to work with as always). It car came with PCCB's, black full leather, adaptive sport seats with painted seat backs, self dim mirror and rain sensor (whoopee!), PCM3.0 With Extended NAV (cool for a daily d), sound package plus (for rockin' tunes), dynamic cornering lights, Bluetooth, Sport Chrono +, painted nipples and a gas guzzler option (which I really like!).

A few thoughts since it's early days and I've been driving her around today so here's my first limited impressions... From a visual standpoint you can tell she's still a GT3. Compared to the MK1 GT3 or RS I have to say I still prefer the older nose. I think it's more aggressive looking and I was never a fan of the GT2 vent but I guess it's more integrated that way as opposed to a separate plastic vent. It's good to see that Porsche has been watching all of us MK1 guys with our various aftermarket radiator screen protection kits. They don't look as nice as the Cargraphic we have on the RS but at least we're protected now. I would've preferred black as they're a bit like chicken wire. The rear wing is a mixed bag... A bit like the RS except the curvature means you can't see too much (worse than the RS) but it gets thumbs-up from most folks. I think I prefer the Taco wing on the MK1. The rear bumper is pretty neat and with the vents hopefully expel some hot air. I really like the rear LED tail lights and it makes the newer car look more modern. The front lip is big. It looks like a cup lip. Dan says he's afraid someone might step on it while walking past the car. The day-time LED running lights are cool if you're into that sort of thing.

Power/Transmission

Shifting feels exactly the same as the RS to me and I'm right at home. No change needed there either. The lightened dual mass flywheel does give the car more of the character I like, but it doesn't quite touch a single mass flywheel from the RS or in a GT3. Still I can see why Porsche went that route since there's some of performance of a single mass and with the added dampening of a dual mass you don't get any transmission noise. I'd hoped it revved a bit quicker but I know the 3.8 Mahle Pistons they used do add some weight as well sadly (more on this in another post). Our 3.8 build did feel like it had more torque down low (perhaps to do with the tuning etc...) but there's still a noticeable difference compared to a stock MK1. It's subtle but it's there. Dan's going to post a picture later with the two window stickers but funny how it gets worse mileage eh:eek: Probably because of the added Variocam/intake etc..

Exhaust Note. Deeper than a 3.6 and sounds a lot like our 3.8 build that we had in Kermit. Still the best factory 911 sound you can get but as I'm typing this we're installing one of our exhausts on there because it's just too quiet. :P We've already had a few 2010 owners install our exhaust and they seem happy:D

The wheels are truly slick. Great design and it's neat that they're center-lock as well. Haven't weighed them yet but I honestly think they suit the car really well and the aftermarket wheel industry has their work cut out for them. Not as easy as the old days that's for sure.

The brakes are just brilliant. No qualms there and what you'd expect if you used them on the MK1s.

Suspension... it's more akin to a GT2 in that it "feels" less fidgety than the RS. And in fact a lot like our PDK car. It reacts to the road less- especially in terms of rebound. I think some people will like it more for daily driving but I can see Porsche's progression going from the 6GT3 which was a handful on the street and more raw all the way to this MK2 which can honestly be driven by my grandma. I guess that's a good thing- at least for Porsche since it makes it even more accessible. Haven't played with all the SC, TC etc... settings either but I've spotted the lights/buttons in the center console. More buttons.

Other stuff I do like: no sunroof, and those dynamic lights (geeky and freaky). The price has gone up. Boo.

In Sum, the best modern-day 911 is the GT3 and I think this version is going to appeal to an even wider section in terms of how drivable it is (hardcore guys/gals might not like that). If you own a MK1 I don't think there's any "need" to jump up to a MK2 since it's really not all that different. Yes it's worth a "few" more seconds at the ring with a bit more power and revamped suspension but I can't see MK2 guys blasting past MK1 guys at the track either. It's got a lot more gadgets and might look a bit more modern but it's still basically the same car from 10 feet away, which is a good thing. So very hectic day here for us and thanks for tuning in:P

There she is at home with Kermit:

2010_997_GT3_SharkWerks_Project_Car_First_Day_Shots_03.JPG

2010_997_GT3_SharkWerks_Project_Car_First_Day_Shots_18.JPG

RS Wing on the left vs baby-RS wing on the right:

2010_997_GT3_SharkWerks_Project_Car_First_Day_Shots_05.JPG

MK2 front:

2010_997_GT3_SharkWerks_Project_Car_First_Day_Shots_08.JPG

2010_997_GT3_SharkWerks_Project_Car_First_Day_Shots_09.JPG

The rear bumper (and that meshy stuff again):

2010_997_GT3_SharkWerks_Project_Car_First_Day_Shots_16.JPG

The new steering wheel is a bit naff. A lot of plastic:

2010_997_GT3_SharkWerks_Project_Car_First_Day_Shots_20.JPG

Options galore:

2010_997_GT3_SharkWerks_Project_Car_First_Day_Shots_25.JPG

Those buttons:

2010_997_GT3_SharkWerks_Project_Car_First_Day_Shots_28.JPG

3.9 vs 3.8 (more on this later):

2010_997_GT3_SharkWerks_Project_Car_First_Day_Shots_33.JPG

2010_997_GT3_SharkWerks_Project_Car_First_Day_Shots_38.JPG

Updated today with a video of the car in action:

Oh my God I want that car.. :clapping:

Danke! She's been fun so far;)

great car purchase! Take them to the track lets see how this new one does vs. the 3.9 monster.

No contest... that 3.9 has some 500hp and is lighter:P Plus she goes to 8800rpms:

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/technical-ar...ne-upgrade.html

But she's just getting started:P

there are no words for this car!

great look!i love your rims!

Thanks and she's been getting a good work out so far:)

also can you explain me how after installation of other exhaust still sport button makes another sound?have you oem mufflers so works?i am interesting to change my one.

Sure thing.. the GT3 has two rear and one center muffler. The two side mufflers have a bypass controlled by a valve (and switch inside the car- like PSE). Our set up replaces the center one;)

Sharkster,

I'm sure I would be quite dangerous in a 500hp RS. :drive: .I saw your 3.9 motor rebuld link. Very impressive indeed... Nice to see a company that has so much passion for P cars!

One day I hope to have you tune on one of my toys!

Edited by phillipj

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just picked-up my GT3 as well... it's even faster than it looks.

You guys. . . ! I'm SO-O-O-O-O-O JEALOUS! I swear; if there was any excuse to blow my kids' inheritance and mortgage the house to the hilt, this car would be IT! And those COLORS! Gotta have one in the blue or bright green, and the CHP be damned! They gotta catch me first!

• 1 year later...