Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I don't intend to start the "oil wars" discussions up again, but could not find out much on Red Line oil using the search engine.

I've just changed over to Red Line from M1. Anyone have positive or negative thoughts on this?

In my opinion, since you asked, is why spend more money for a product not approved by Porsche yet provides no more protection than Mobil 1. Many may argue a point for one product over another but I doubt there is little difference for the average user between ANY high performance syn motor oil. The major difference between the oils is not the product base but the additives used in their particular blend. Here is where in my opinion you could have issues develop over time. Porsche has tested their engines under extreme operating conditions and know that no adverse effects are caused by the Mobil 1 oil products. However, a lot of P-car owners use a number of different products for years, swear by them, and never have issues... Bottom line, use a top quality oil, change it regularly and you most likely will not have an issue. BUT don't complain if it fails due to the product.

Regards

I have been using Red Line 5W40 for the last 3 years and 30,000 miles. Yearly oil changes. Very pleased with product. And my oil analysis last year look excellent.

I am sure this thread could go on forever because there are as many opinions out there as there are oils! There is considerable evidence that ZDDP is harmful to catalytic converters and can significantly shorten their life span. ZDDP IS important in older engines where hardened metals were not used in the engineering process but engines produced in the last few years have addressed this change to meet new EPA laws.

I have been using both Mobil 1 and AMSOIL for over 15 years and have nothing but exceptional results to report. My 2002 C4S has close to 90K, all on M1, and my Honda Civic is just over 150K on M1. I use AMSOIL in my 3 trucks and my Toyota Highlander and they run like new. I tend to stick with what works over time. Bottom line, if you like it and believe in a product then by all means use it!

R/

B)

I don't intend to start the "oil wars" discussions up again, but could not find out much on Red Line oil using the search engine.

I've just changed over to Red Line from M1. Anyone have positive or negative thoughts on this?

Then why ask? ;)

FWIW a couple of my prior and current rides:

- 1986 Nissan Sentra 298,000mi Valvoline 10W40 every 3,000mi

- 1997 Toyota Corolla 293,000mi Valvoline 10W30 every 3,000

Nary a drop of oil burning on either.

I'll stick to the M1 0W40 for my p-car.

Edited by Loren

I have been using Red Line 5W40 for the last 3 years and 30,000 miles. Yearly oil changes. Very pleased with product. And my oil analysis last year look excellent.
Can you please post it? How many data points / samples do you have trended? Edited by Anders0n||C4S

"runs like new"

"my oil analysis shows excellent..."

"doesn't burn any oil..."

really, what does this all mean? who is writing this? nobody knows or should care.

however you should care that porsche has an approved oils list ready for your consumption. there is no substitute. follow the list. done. now go worry about something else like when you're going to get to drive the 911next.