Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

'03 996 C4S stereo head unit swap out

Sorry, not performance or cosmetic related... I have just bought my first Porsche (a 2003 996 C4S w 40k km on the clock in Singapore).

The car is all stock top to bottom including Porsche stereo head unit which isn't MP3 player friendly.

I hate to install something that is flashy/chrome as it will detract from the simple clean look of the centre dashboard... but I do want audio performance to drive the Bose speaker system.

Anyone have recommendations on head unit replacement? I've been recommended the Alpine IDA X100.

Great forum BTW :-)

Thanks!

Edited by FossilBurner

I think the lack of input is because it is very difficult - if not impossible - to add after-market audio equipment to MY03+ Carreras or Boxsters. This is due to the use of a fiber optic Media Oriented System Transport (MOST) bus that integrates the radio/PCM, (external) amplifier, (external) CD player and telephone. The only good thing about the MOST bus is that the radio no longer has a code that has to be typed in after a battery disconnect.

Most people have had to replace their entire system in order to ge the sound and performance they wanted.

Bill

Fossilburner. I have an 04' Targa & like others have said the MOST system causes angtst in the 03-04 996 cars. With that said I replaced the upgraded Bose system with an Kenwood DNX9140 head unit & an Alpine PDX5 amp. You can not use the factory amp. period. I did however use the stock upgraded Bose speakers & have been very happy with the results. This double din unit gives you voice command, Garmin Nav, Bluetooth, DVD & an Ipod/Mp3 interface as well as garage door/light openers. Pioneer make a similar unit so check out their sites & see what options you are most interested in having. I'd also suggest a check on their respective user sites. There are also a number of threads on this site for you to review relating to the Pioneer Avic & Kenwood installs.

I think the lack of input is because it is very difficult - if not impossible - to add after-market audio equipment to MY03+ Carreras or Boxsters. This is due to the use of a fiber optic Media Oriented System Transport (MOST) bus that integrates the radio/PCM, (external) amplifier, (external) CD player and telephone. The only good thing about the MOST bus is that the radio no longer has a code that has to be typed in after a battery disconnect.

Most people have had to replace their entire system in order to ge the sound and performance they wanted.

Bill

That is some very useful insight - thank you!

While I don't relish the thought of coughing up for an entirely new system... I was probably going to end up there eventually anyway.

Fossilburner. I have an 04' Targa & like others have said the MOST system causes angtst in the 03-04 996 cars. With that said I replaced the upgraded Bose system with an Kenwood DNX9140 head unit & an Alpine PDX5 amp. You can not use the factory amp. period. I did however use the stock upgraded Bose speakers & have been very happy with the results. This double din unit gives you voice command, Garmin Nav, Bluetooth, DVD & an Ipod/Mp3 interface as well as garage door/light openers. Pioneer make a similar unit so check out their sites & see what options you are most interested in having. I'd also suggest a check on their respective user sites. There are also a number of threads on this site for you to review relating to the Pioneer Avic & Kenwood installs.

Thanks very much. Looks like I'm in for a total swap out.

Have read some pretty horrible reviews of BOTH the Alpine iDA x___ units though since posting. The local dealer is trying to get me to go for this.

Looks like I'm using CDs for a while until the research concludes.

Great help from both your guys though.

Thanks again!

Bill -You may be correct as the web site references the 997 for the current version which works thru the comm screen but I believe the earlier nav-tv version will work on th 03-04 most cars.

http://www.navtv.com/userfiles/editor/file...9;s%20Guide.pdf

I sent a request to support so I'll post their ans as soon as I get it. this version has its own display.

cmg

I must be missing something, but is the one solution to help adding an aux connector to the OEM unit?

I have a 2001 with a CDR 220. The aux connector was a 30min addition fix from Becker for less $50.

What is the unit in your P-car?

The head unit on an '03 with MOST is likely the CDR-23. There is no aux input.

I recently installed the Dension Gateway 500 unit with an iPod and it works great (03 986S). The Dension unit taps into the fiber optic loop and mimics the function of a cd changer. It's not perfect, as the CDR-23 doesn't display anything but "TRACK 1" so you can't just stuff the iPod in the glove box and forget about it. I mounted it next to the dash.

It's pricey (about $500), but the alternative was a complete replacement of the head unit, amp, and probably speakers...

- Art

I must be missing something, but is the one solution to help adding an aux connector to the OEM unit?

I have a 2001 with a CDR 220. The aux connector was a 30min addition fix from Becker for less $50.

The head unit on an '03 with MOST is likely the CDR-23. There is no aux input.

I recently installed the Dension Gateway 500 unit with an iPod and it works great (03 986S). The Dension unit taps into the fiber optic loop and mimics the function of a cd changer. It's not perfect, as the CDR-23 doesn't display anything but "TRACK 1" so you can't just stuff the iPod in the glove box and forget about it. I mounted it next to the dash.

It's pricey (about $500), but the alternative was a complete replacement of the head unit, amp, and probably speakers...

- Art

You are correct Art. I just checked Becker site and aux input cable is not available:

Repair Options This radio does not allow an Aux Input connection

External phone audio and muting is available

Contact us for more details

Edited by sheatley

• 2 months later...
Thanks, will have a look at iTrip... but I must admit, I tried one of these with a Gen-1 iPod many years ago and it did not work well at all.

Has quality improved since then?

Go with the Dension...Eric @ Bumperplugs has a sale on them right now. I have had mine since the product first came out. They regularly update the firmware. It works flawlessly.

Sorry to jump in here but I have a 2000 with a CDR 220, do you have any more info on where i can find add-ons for this unit ? I would like to upgrade my factory 4x40 amp... also do you have any tips on installing the ipod, ie. removing the head unit ?

Edited by emerson34

I have just replaced the CDR22 and amp in my 2000 996 Carrera with HiFi Sound System (Option code 490). I was looking for a unit that had seamless integration with iPod and also excellent bluetooth connectivity for hands free phone calls.

In the end I narrowed down the list to Becker Grandprix 7992 R with iPod link and the Pioneer DEH-P8100BT with iPod link. The Becker has a red display which better blends with the stock orange/red Porsche dial lights and displays however, the Pioneer sounds better, has better bluetooth voice quality for phone calls and has an OLED display (albeit a nasty blue colour) which alows you to see all of the playlist, artist and track information from the iPod in one go. The Pioneer also has a rotary joystick which makes controlling the iPod from the head unit very intuitive.

To make the installation reversible I ran a set of leads from the speaker outputs to the connector block by the amp in the luggage compartment and then used individual bullet connector into the car's speaker wiring harness to connect the head unit to the speakers. I also took the opportunity to run a couple of phono leads from the head unit pre-out to the luggage compartment at the same time. That way if I want to go for an external amp at some point in the future it should be a piece of cake.

The unit has been in for only a week and I am very pleased - the sound is good (but speaker upgrades plus amp upgrades are on the cards for next year) and the voice quality during calls is superb for both parties. Control of the iPod is very simple and the sound quality is, once again, very good. If they would make the colour of the display selectable the Pioneer DEH-P8100BT would be perfect.

I almost forgot to say - if you are replacing the Porsche head unit, don't forget to disconnect the wire running to the cage and to insulate it. Otherwise the alarm system will detect and error and beep the horn every time you lock the car!

Edited by nos4a2

Thanks, will have a look at iTrip... but I must admit, I tried one of these with a Gen-1 iPod many years ago and it did not work well at all.

Has quality improved since then?

Quality is superb on mine, best hassle free option for a cheap price...

let us know what you opt for in the end.