Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

So i went to the dealership & bought an oil filter for $25. Then I went to Autozone to buy my Mobil 1 0W-40. There is a special right now, and when you buy 5 quarts of Mobil 1, you get a free oil filter. Well, Mobile1 doesnt have an application for our 996, so the cashier gave me an STP filter instead. The filters pretty much look alike, of course the OEM one looks sturdier, but the STP one has the plastic cage inside and everything, not sure what the material is made of in either one, but my question is; should I use this in my 996? Would you?

They retail for about $12, which is half the price of the OEM filter. If these are good to use, why not save some cash? But of course if its a terrible filter, I'll throw it in the trash.

Opinions are appreciated! Thanks!

So i went to the dealership & bought an oil filter for $25. Then I went to Autozone to buy my Mobil 1 0W-40. There is a special right now, and when you buy 5 quarts of Mobil 1, you get a free oil filter. Well, Mobile1 doesnt have an application for our 996, so the cashier gave me an STP filter instead. The filters pretty much look alike, of course the OEM one looks sturdier, but the STP one has the plastic cage inside and everything, not sure what the material is made of in either one, but my question is; should I use this in my 996? Would you?

They retail for about $12, which is half the price of the OEM filter. If these are good to use, why not save some cash? But of course if its a terrible filter, I'll throw it in the trash.

Use the OEM. No reason to change to an unknown

Use the OEM. No reason to change to an unknown

I guess the only reason to change for me is because the dealer is ripping me off on these OEM filters :(

• Admin

MSRP for the oil filter for your car (996.107.255.60) is $22.28 -- so if you got charged more than MSRP then you did get ripped off.

Sunset Imports (Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost) charges dealer cost +15%.

... or you can always by a 6 pack of filter on eBay (make sure they are the correct ones) for about $12-$13 each. Go together and buy 6 and share the cost with friends.

• 4 years later...

I know this is an older post but I also stay on the look out for alternatives for other filter choices for our 996's. Awhile back I had been checking at the local Autozone and looked at the STP brand. They were made in China of course and I was a little worried about using them.

I Was looking again tonight and when I looked at the various brands, much to my surprise the STP part# S8278 is now made in GERMANY!!! So I bought one to try it. The bad news is the price has went up to $13.99. You can sometimes get a special IIRC.

Edited by krazyk

• Moderators

I know this is an older post but I also stay on the look out for alternatives for other filter choices for our 996's. Awhile back I had been checking at the local Autozone and looked at the STP brand. They were made in China of course and I was a little worried about using them.

I Was looking again tonight and when I looked at the various brands, much to my surprise the STP part# S8278 is now made in GERMANY!!! So I bought one to try it. The bad news is the price has went up to $13.99. You can sometimes get a special IIRC.

Take a look at the Wix/NAPA Gold 57211, a better made filter than the OEM stuff at a fraction of the price, and with about a 30% finer media pore diameter as well:

1363_1.gif

And if you really want to make an improvement in your oil filtration, dump the OEM canister system and go to the LN spin on adaptor and "full flow" (100% filtration at all times, no by-pass) system, which can also benefit from the use of a Wix/NAPA Gold spin on filter that has the same advantages as the one mentioned above, and retails for less than $10, or even their new XP filter line with a full synthetic filter media.

• 7 months later...

Magnetic drain plug is highly recommended. 

I've gotten the Autozone Special of 5 quarts of Mobil 1 and receive a Mobile 1 filter.  The clerk tried to substitute an STP filter and when I balked he upgraded to the K&N filter which is a good deal.

By far the filter of choice is the Wix/NAPA Gold 57211 per JFP's post above.

In Western Washington the best oil prices are currently at Wallmart at $22.95 for a 5 qt. container of Mobile 1.