Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I was at the workshop of an Independent last week ansd I saw 2 engines from 996 FLs with Intermediate Shaft Failure one of which was X51.

So, it's not only MY05.

Good thing they do away with this Shaft on the DFI engines. I'm sure though that something else will come up!

That is what I thought quote is $1000 inc. labour!

So My engine arrived last night, got a call from the dealer this morning that both my rear tie-rods are broken due to negligent towing of the car $1,268 for both tie rods now I have to go after the towing guys for that... :censored:

Sam

That sucks. I hope you are able to recover that. Freakin Tow trucks.

That is what I thought quote is $1000 inc. labour!

So My engine arrived last night, got a call from the dealer this morning that both my rear tie-rods are broken due to negligent towing of the car $1,268 for both tie rods now I have to go after the towing guys for that... :censored:

Sam

That sucks! sorry to hear that Sam. Its another reason why Porsche warranty is needed because it also has the towing service.

Congrats on the new engine. all of the hassle will fade and you will forget all of this when you drive your car afterwords.

H

my 2002 C2's enginge blew two years ago and was replaced under the extended warranty. It was replaced with a new 05 engine. Please tell me I am would be safe to assume they replaced it with the updated version that they are replacing these other ones with...My car is now out of warranty...which brings uo another question, when I asked if this new engine came with a warranty I was told no...is this correct?

Your 05 reman engine should have the updates. And if it was installed by a dealer you should have gotten a 2 year warranty.

My advice would be to look into and extended warranty. Call these folks and see if they will offer you one. They have a good reputation.

http://www.easycarecustomercare.com/easyca...CFc5L5Qod5nKtsA

Good luck

:cheers:

Your 05 reman engine should have the updates. And if it was installed by a dealer you should have gotten a 2 year warranty.

My advice would be to look into and extended warranty. Call these folks and see if they will offer you one. They have a good reputation.

http://www.easycarecustomercare.com/easyca...CFc5L5Qod5nKtsA

Good luck

:cheers:

much appreciated!

$3,500 is crazy!!! A good tech can drop the engine in 3-4 hours, I can do it that fast in my driveway (and have done so a couple of times), another 3-4 hours to put it back in. Add another 3-4 hours to taek the engine far enough apart to see that the IMS is gone. Even if you are more generous with the time and allow for 20 hours, at $100/hr, that is only $2,000.

$3,500 is crazy!!! A good tech can drop the engine in 3-4 hours, I can do it that fast in my driveway (and have done so a couple of times), another 3-4 hours to put it back in. Add another 3-4 hours to taek the engine far enough apart to see that the IMS is gone. Even if you are more generous with the time and allow for 20 hours, at $100/hr, that is only $2,000.

Dharn,

You know that dealers charge twice as much as they should. They S##k. I hate them. Unfortunetly Tekky is at their mercy.. :o

UPDATE:

Heard back from Porsche this morning after 8 days of suspense; VERTICT: Porsche will cover the engine, parts, fluid costs for me - I have to pay labour + $100 of the engine cost which will entitle me to 2 years of warranty on the new motor.

Cost are $3500 after taxes + the initial $1100 I had to pay to get the engine dropped/inspected.

your comments are appreciated as always guys.

Sam

Congratulation on new engine! Which one did you get exactly? Do you know?

M97/01AT68665366

if loren can decode?

Sam

UPDATE:

Heard back from Porsche this morning after 8 days of suspense; VERTICT: Porsche will cover the engine, parts, fluid costs for me - I have to pay labour + $100 of the engine cost which will entitle me to 2 years of warranty on the new motor.

Cost are $3500 after taxes + the initial $1100 I had to pay to get the engine dropped/inspected.

your comments are appreciated as always guys.

Sam

Congratulation on new engine! Which one did you get exactly? Do you know?

Drives beautifully, I cannot feel a huge difference from the old engine since it was it great shape and not a ton of mileage...

However, there is an auxiliary noise that I wasnt hearing before, sort of a winding noise on the lower rev range... 1500 to 4000 and only when in gear. If it doesnt go away I will have the dealer look at this again since it bothers me.

The # will be on your invoice Hamad (it will note the OLD ENGINE serial as well as the REPLACEMENT)

Sam

M97/01AT68665366

if loren can decode?

Sam

Sam - hows the car after the new engine?

where can I find this number?

Thanks for this. I didnt get an invoice when getting the car back! :huh: but will check when i next go to dealer.

Glad to hear your enjoying it and do go the dealer if you dont like the noise you're hearing. I didnt get this with my new engine...