Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Misaligned steering wheel

My steering wheel feels slightly crooked (too much lean on the right) and I have been driving with this problem since I last brought the suv in for new spark plugs and coils. I had mentioned to my SA that the wheel felt heavy at some points while driving, and the tech checked it out but found no problems with the steering wheel. I think the tech probably messed around with the wheel and now it is is "off", and it is especially noticeable when driving on the highway (keeping the suv straight means the wheel is slightly bent to the right). So my question is there any way to fix this without the hassle of calling up my SA and telling them about this issue and possibly wasting more time at the dealer?

• 2 weeks later...
My steering wheel feels slightly crooked (too much lean on the right) and I have been driving with this problem since I last brought the suv in for new spark plugs and coils. I had mentioned to my SA that the wheel felt heavy at some points while driving, and the tech checked it out but found no problems with the steering wheel. I think the tech probably messed around with the wheel and now it is is "off", and it is especially noticeable when driving on the highway (keeping the suv straight means the wheel is slightly bent to the right). So my question is there any way to fix this without the hassle of calling up my SA and telling them about this issue and possibly wasting more time at the dealer?

I had a problem with mine being slightly off to the left after an alignment and it was driving me crazy. I took it back to my shop and explained the situation and they were able to correct it. I believe they actually removed and remounted the wheel but whatever they did it is perfect now so I know it can be fixed.

• 2 months later...
Correct, they have to compensate this issue with a 4 wheel alignment restart, this time with a straight and locked steering wheel.

I have the same situation...steering wheel slightly off. Micheal Steed in Walnut Creek wants to charge 400 dollars...they say 4 wheel re-alignment which is crazy because the vehicle drives fine. I cannot believe how this dealer manages to stay in business with all the bad advice...I wonder if people with 50k+ cars just nod their head and pay 400 bucks?

Fred

• Admin
Correct, they have to compensate this issue with a 4 wheel alignment restart, this time with a straight and locked steering wheel.

I have the same situation...steering wheel slightly off. Micheal Steed in Walnut Creek wants to charge 400 dollars...they say 4 wheel re-alignment which is crazy because the vehicle drives fine. I cannot believe how this dealer manages to stay in business with all the bad advice...I wonder if people with 50k+ cars just nod their head and pay 400 bucks?

Fred

Go to Custom Alignment in Mountain View - last time I was there it was less than half the cost you got quoted.

CA are top notch and do most of the race cars in the bay area. David usually works on Porsches.

For those in the east bay and only want to pay 120 or so, I have a great shop that I've used previously. He actually tells you the as-found settings and then sits down to discuss changes. Although I still maintain that if everything is tracking ok and the steering wheel is off center, the steering wheel should be removed and reset.

Nonetheless, I'll probably have things checked at the alignment shop...120 dollars is low compared to the downside of quickly wearing expensive tires! ;)

• 1 year later...

I'm resurrecting an old thread. I have an 08 CTT. I just put two brand new tires on and rotated the wheels. However, even before I came in for new tires and rotation, my steering wheel is hanging just a tad down to the right when driving on a straight road. And it absolutely is bugging me, argh!! I've read about doing an alignment as well as removing the steering wheel. Questions:

1) what ultimately causes the steering wheel to hang like I mention? I know tire wear contributes but what else?

2) is an alignment always necessary to fix a misaligned steering wheel?

3) what would you recommended in my situation?

thanks for all/any feedback.

agree...the wheel angle sensor has to correspond with the steering wheel. If the angle sensor is off far enough, you will throw a warning.

The shop will adjust the tie-rods such that they aree with a perfectly straight steering wheel (which they lock into place).

Edited by fredjchavez

The alignment garage will true the steering wheel if nothing is worn/bent. Removal of the wheel isn't the normal procedure.

So the concensus is that I should have the alignment looked at first before pulling the steering wheel off. I plan to give Custom Alignment a call per Loren's suggestion. I'm fairly close to them. I hope they deal with 'misaligned' steering wheels all day.

Edited by TurboLove