Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Just installed a 997 shifter into my 996 Turbo MY04

I wanted to thank all those on this forum for all the valuable information. I completed the install of a 997 shifter into my 996 Turbo MY04 :D . I have not driven it after the install, but the stroke of the shifter seems and feels like an improvement. I will try out the my new shifter tomorrow.

post-24400-1251614641_thumb.jpg

Thanks again,

Art (aquinto)

I wanted to thank all those on this forum for all the valuable information. I completed the install of a 997 shifter into my 996 Turbo MY04 :D . I have not driven it after the install, but the stroke of the shifter seems and feels like an improvement. I will try out the my new shifter tomorrow.

post-24400-1251614641_thumb.jpg

Thanks again,

Art (aquinto)

Curious to hear your thoughts after you drive it; been thinking about doing this mod myself.

FWIW - I have it installed also and love it. Great compromise between a short shifter and 996 shifter. Highly recommend it. Its very inexpensive. I wish I did it the day I bought the car. Drive a 997 if you want to see what it is going to feel like.

I was able to try out my new (to me) 997 shifter this morning. The 997 shifter shows significant smoothness when thrown into each gear. This was a great upgrade for me. It makes driving much more enjoyable. :D

When I first got my Porsche, I thought I'd get used to the notchiness of the 996 shifter, but I never got completely comfortable with it. I've only had my Porsche since Feb 09, but I've driven stick shift cars for over 20 years and consider myself fairly competent.

I've read much praise of the 997 shifter over the 996 shifter from many Porsche owners on various forums, including this one. When I spotted a used 997 shifter on E-bay, at a reasonable price, I didn't hesitate to buy it. If anyone is considering the upgrade, just go for it, you will not regret it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was on the fence about the B&M short shifter, bought it, never installed it, largely because of all pro/con the discussion about it. Bought the 997 shifter, immediately installed it and never looked back. love it!

• 11 months later...

Probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. It sounds like everyone loves the 997 shifter over the 996 turbo. Does it make a difference if the 996 TT is an X50? If not, what specifically should I look for when making the purchase? Does anyone have a link or the exact model number of the part(s)?

Thanks in advance.

If you look in the DIY section, I believe we have pics in my DIY of the differences in all the shifters being discussed. Don't believe there is any difference in the X50 or "S" shifter and the non-X50/S shifter from the stock 996TT. As to the comments someone made about the 997GT3 shifter, know that it is basically the STOCK 997 Shifter's throw with the addition of the metal in the actuator. The 997SSK is a different shifter in that the throw is almost as short as that of the B&M without the notchy feel.

Mike

So I went back this morning and checked the FSM and the Parts listing and confirmed the only part number differences were in the shift knobs. There is no difference that I can find in any of the standard vs. X50/ "S" models with regard to the shifter...

I've had three of the units and can honestly say the 997SSK is the best I've had my hands on...

Mike

So I went back this morning and checked the FSM and the Parts listing and confirmed the only part number differences were in the shift knobs. There is no difference that I can find in any of the standard vs. X50/ "S" models with regard to the shifter...

I've had three of the units and can honestly say the 997SSK is the best I've had my hands on...

Mike

Thanks for the information. Where is the best place to purchase the 997 short shifter? I want to make sure that I get the correct one as I have seen a few knock-offs on Ebay.

I bought mine thru Suncoast...

http://www.suncoastp...Code=996tttrans

Just so there's no confusion... Here's the same part number in the 997.1 GT3 section... That's the 997SSK I got from them and installed.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/X99742498300.html?Category_Code=997gt3

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

• 1 month later...

I've recently purchased a 996TT which came from the factory with the SSK and found the shift to be very notchy and heavy to the point I don't enjoy changing gear.

I did a bit of research and the 997 SSK seemed like it might be the answer. I took the centre console apart and to my surprise it already has a 997 SSK, I've since found a receipt for the shifter and everything else in the linkage including the cables and it was only done a couple of thousand miles ago.

I guess the shift action is not one of this cars strong points.

Edited by AndyMc

• 3 months later...

Hi

Does the short shift or the gt3 (the same) work as well?

I tried one from a 997 turbo and i loved it.... and want to install it on my 2004 TT

The GT3 is not a short shifter. It has alloy parts for durability rather than the plastic parts found in the 996/997 shifters. The 997 shifter reduces throw about 15% and cost half as much as the 997 short throw which reduces throw about 25% over the 996 shifter. Not hard DYI. Just takes lot of time to get the center consol out.

Edited by Duane996