Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How many miles 'till the troubles start?

I've owned my last 996 in 2000/2001 and put 40,000 miles on it. I am now ready to get back in the saddle and am thinking about buying a used one with 50,000 miles on it. What's your experience - how many miles can you put on a 996 before the "troubles" start (i.e., repairs > $3,000).

thanks!

I wish a standard answer existed. Some of these cars are just waiting to ruin your day and some are trouble free forever. The only real expensive repairs that are common would be clutch, tires, and DME issues. Brake rotors are a bit pricey too but not 3k pricey. Really the only things that go wrong with the 996 aren't terribly expensive unless you have an engine failure. I've had a 996 engine fail as I was completing its 60k service so 50k doesn't mean the engine is solid. I think an aftermarket warranty is a bit of a must for anyone buying an early 996 or 986 since an out of pocket 12k engine replacement will definitely ruin your fun. Best of luck with the search! :)

:welcome:

There are a lot lot of good buys out there these days. I'd look for a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) car first, takes a bit of chance out of the equation. Some aftermarket warranties are not worth much once you have a problem.

Other than that, maintenance receipts are critical. And get a CarFax.

Predicting "trouble" is like predicting the stock market. You can second guess yourself to death. And still lose money.

I had a few things go wrong around 60 thousand around the same time I did the 60 thousand service. The clutch and RMS seal cost me about $1000, since I replaced it myself. I also change the starter, alternator, battery, waterpump and evap tank. The total for those was also under a thousand. That's pretty much all the repairs i have done from the day I bought it 44 000 to today at 65 000.

1999 carrera 4 convertible

Kristian

:welcome:

There are a lot lot of good buys out there these days. I'd look for a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) car first, takes a bit of chance out of the equation. Some aftermarket warranties are not worth much once you have a problem.

Other than that, maintenance receipts are critical. And get a CarFax.

Predicting "trouble" is like predicting the stock market. You can second guess yourself to death. And still lose money.