Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Interpreting fault codes on 98 986 DME 5.2.2

I purchased this weekend a Actron CP9175 Auto Scanner and of course I plugged it in right away after reading the instructions. All went well but the results came back as follows:

P0130 PENDING 02 Sensor Cir Malf Bank 1

P0150 PENDING 02 Sensor Cir Malf Bank 2

The igniton was in the ON position engine NOT running.

Are these codes being returned since the engine was not running or do the 2 02 sensors need to be looked at or replaced? Should I rerun the diagnostics with the engine running?

Last week when I was under the vehicle I could only visually spot 2 post catalytic converters. They look to be easily replaced.

Any help with this new tool would be greatly appreciated.

• Admin

P0130 Oxygen Sensor Ahead of Catalytic Converter (Cylinders 1 - 3) - Intercore Short Circuit or Limited Voltage Increase

Possible causes

- Oxygen sensor

- Wiring harness

- DME control module

P0150 Oxygen Sensor Ahead of Catalytic Converter (Cylinders 4 - 6) - Intercore Short Circuit or Limited Voltage Increase

Possible causes

- Oxygen sensor

- Wiring harness

- DME control module

Fault codes are stored so whether the engine is running or not does not matter.

I would erase these codes and see if they come back. Highly unusual to have a bad O2 sensor on both sides of the engine at the same time.

L, thank you for the advice. I will clear those 2 tonight and take the car for a spin and recheck.

I can only visually spot the 2 O2 sensors post cat conveters. Does this make model only have the 2? One on each side.

I looked pre cat converter and could not see any.

Car runs fine and NO CEL lights on at any time.

P.S. with yours and the help of the other responders I 'cracked' open the engine compartment and for the 1st time got a peek into the engine bay and heard the engine running witout all the covers and insulation. Very nice indeed. Since being in our family since 98 I can guarantee I have been the 1st 'caretaker' to have even attempted this task. Thanks again for the step by step advice it was easy and quite the adventure, like opening a present on the holidays.

:)

Richard, the car was delivered to Calif. So it was manuf for the US. I was changing the oil last week and easily spotted the 2 aft of the catcl converters. I did not 'spy' deeper pre catyl converter as I was running out of daylight here in the eastern US. I'll crawl back under and peek around to see if there are 2 more 'pre' catly converter.