Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Helooooooooo....??!!!

This forum has potential. But very little usage. I am a member of the BMW R 1200 GS website/forum. Those people know how to communicate!! I've gotten a ton of info through that site. Really good stuff on motorcycle maintenance and performance improvement. But.......this site is weak. I would think we porsche owners are just as passionate as the BMW motorcycle owners if not more.

Anyway.......

I changed the oil and filter today on my 997-2 CS. About $200.00 total. Pompano Beach, FL. A bit steep. ($135.00 hr. on service chargees for labor). Glad I did it. 3,700 miles. I'll change it again at the reccomended interval of 10,000 mi. And from then on every 5,000 miles. Went with 0 W 40 Mobil One. BTW there was an open service campaign on the exhaust system supports. The Service tech could not tell me if it was noise or loose-****ty mounts. Maybe it is noise due to ****ty mounts. I dunno.....

They overfilled the oil as indicated on the oiil measurement function. At least it's clean.

BIG NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,,, while waiting I spoke to two salespersons and they told me Porsche is offering a $10,000 cash back to dealerships and that they are discounting all their '09 911's an additional $10,000!!!! that's $20,000 off all of their '09 997-2's. that means you can get any '09 997-2 for $20,000 off of sticker for now!!!!! If any prospective buyer reads this,,,,,,,,,,NOW IS THE TIME TO GET OFF YOUR ***!!!!!!!!

I confirmed this discount with a call to another local dealership.

You all Keep it out of the trees!!!!!!! :o

Helooooooooo....??!!!

This forum has potential. But very little usage. I am a member of the BMW R 1200 GS website/forum. Those people know how to communicate!! I've gotten a ton of info through that site. Really good stuff on motorcycle maintenance and performance improvement. But.......this site is weak. I would think we porsche owners are just as passionate as the BMW motorcycle owners if not more.

Anyway.......

I changed the oil and filter today on my 997-2 CS. About $200.00 total. Pompano Beach, FL. A bit steep. ($135.00 hr. on service chargees for labor). Glad I did it. 3,700 miles. I'll change it again at the reccomended interval of 10,000 mi. And from then on every 5,000 miles. Went with 0 W 40 Mobil One. BTW there was an open service campaign on the exhaust system supports. The Service tech could not tell me if it was noise or loose-****ty mounts. Maybe it is noise due to ****ty mounts. I dunno.....

They overfilled the oil as indicated on the oiil measurement function. At least it's clean.

BIG NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,,, while waiting I spoke to two salespersons and they told me Porsche is offering a $10,000 cash back to dealerships and that they are discounting all their '09 911's an additional $10,000!!!! that's $20,000 off all of their '09 997-2's. that means you can get any '09 997-2 for $20,000 off of sticker for now!!!!! If any prospective buyer reads this,,,,,,,,,,NOW IS THE TIME TO GET OFF YOUR ***!!!!!!!!

What was the original question in your topic? Sometimes, when the subject of the topic is fairly common, like oil change intervals, a search will bring up a wealth of info covered in past posts. Cheers.

Helooooooooo....??!!!

Anyway.......

What was the original question in your topic? Sometimes, when the subject of the topic is fairly common, like oil change intervals, a search will bring up a wealth of info covered in past posts. Cheers.

That's the great thing about this country, if you dont like somthing you have the freedom of going somewhere else.....

I think that this forum offers a great place to learn and contribute, with little duplication of effort and OT chaff. Try the "View New Posts" function to see the activity, there's always someone online. Of course, if you're interested in the off-topic stuff you can always head on over to that other "renn" site. :rolleyes:

I think that you'll find your curiosity rewarded here if you do a little digging yourself and simply ask nicely. In the posts you've made so far, someone has always replied with useful info. Calling RT weak only serves to ***** off the people who contribute the most to this site (and those you stand to learn the most from, I know I've learned a ton).

If you signed up as a contributing member to troll, I suggest you spend your money elsewhere next time. If you want to see the thread counts go higher then do something about it! Show us your car, set up a registry. Tell us about what you like and dislike, ask about what you don't know, inform us when you learn something. If you make a mod, document it and share. We're eager to see and read about your 997 adventure. Thanks for telling us about the exhaust campaign and pricing, I'm sure someone will find that useful.

Mark

Helooooooooo....??!!!

Anyway.......

Sorry to harp on, but I concur. I was a member of a BMW forum, and there was a lot more people there willing to share technical info. I just don't see that level of technical knowhow here, but I am sure I am wrong.

dadbeh

Helooooooooo....??!!!

Anyway.......

Sorry to harp on, but I concur. I was a member of a BMW forum, and there was a lot more people there willing to share technical info. I just don't see that level of technical knowhow here, but I am sure I am wrong.

dadbeh

I think that people here do their best. I was a complete noob a few years ago and I have learned a great deal here. Perhaps more BMW people work on their own cars. I know where I live very few Porsche owners would ever consider a DIY. Porsche owners look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I do my own maintenance.

It's not that people aren't willing to share their expertise. Perhaps it's because very few of us have expertise to share!!

I think that this forum offers a great place to learn and contribute, with little duplication of effort and OT chaff. Try the "View New Posts" function to see the activity, there's always someone online. Of course, if you're interested in the off-topic stuff you can always head on over to that other "renn" site. :rolleyes:

I think that you'll find your curiosity rewarded here if you do a little digging yourself and simply ask nicely. In the posts you've made so far, someone has always replied with useful info. Calling RT weak only serves to ***** off the people who contribute the most to this site (and those you stand to learn the most from, I know I've learned a ton).

If you signed up as a contributing member to troll, I suggest you spend your money elsewhere next time. If you want to see the thread counts go higher then do something about it! Show us your car, set up a registry. Tell us about what you like and dislike, ask about what you don't know, inform us when you learn something. If you make a mod, document it and share. We're eager to see and read about your 997 adventure. Thanks for telling us about the exhaust campaign and pricing, I'm sure someone will find that useful.

Mark

Gentlemen and ladies:

Please consider my apologies with all sincerity.

It is clear my post did not come out like I wanted.

I did not intend to offend or slam the site at all in any way!!

Just wanted to point out that there isn't as much participation as I've seen on other sites.

I belive there are many more 911's out there than BMW motorcycles.

In fact this is the only site I've been able to find that provides what I'm looking for re 911's.

Didn't mean to compare this site to another with negative criticism.

I will continue to visit and contribute.

Having said the above, phillipj, bmohr and goldenwarrior seem to have taken offense to the point of vitriolic response with unnecessary hyperbole. Chill guys.

Mark

Gentlemen and ladies:

Please consider my apologies with all sincerity.

It is clear my post did not come out like I wanted.

I did not intend to offend or slam the site at all in any way!!

Just wanted to point out that there isn't as much participation as I've seen on other sites.

I belive there are many more 911's out there than BMW motorcycles.

In fact this is the only site I've been able to find that provides what I'm looking for re 911's.

Didn't mean to compare this site to another with negative criticism.

I will continue to visit and contribute.

Having said the above, phillipj, bmohr and goldenwarrior seem to have taken offense to the point of vitriolic response with unnecessary hyperbole. Chill guys.

I'm okay now.... :D

Helooooooooo....??!!!

Anyway.......

dadbeh

I think that people here do their best. I was a complete noob a few years ago and I have learned a great deal here. Perhaps more BMW people work on their own cars. I know where I live very few Porsche owners would ever consider a DIY. Porsche owners look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I do my own maintenance.

It's not that people aren't willing to share their expertise. Perhaps it's because very few of us have expertise to share!!

You are 100% correct about DIY. Looked under the 997-2 while they had it on the lift yesterday. The tech told me it takes approx. 1.5 hrs to drop the engine and about the same to put it back. He said "it's designed for that" :huh: I don't think they can do much to the engine without dropping it. The shop rate is $135.00/hr. It looks like for anything other than topping off the oil I'll be getting out the check book. Working on motorcycles is tinker toys compared with this. With my lack of skills, tools and facilities, self maintenace on this machine is not a sane option for me.

You are 100% correct about DIY. Looked under the 997-2 while they had it on the lift yesterday. The tech told me it takes approx. 1.5 hrs to drop the engine and about the same to put it back. He said "it's designed for that" :huh: I don't think they can do much to the engine without dropping it. The shop rate is $135.00/hr. It looks like for anything other than topping off the oil I'll be getting out the check book. Working on motorcycles is tinker toys compared with this. With my lack of skills, tools and facilities, self maintenace on this machine is not a sane option for me.

Actually things like the serpentine belt, pollen filter and air filter are extremely easy. It's actually silly to pay a labor charge for those items (unless you don't care.) Plugs are a bit of work.

Brake pads are very easy. Porsche made them that way. Rotors are very simple as well but you will need a bleeder to complete the job. I guess it just depends on how much you like (or dislike) working on your own car :D And like you said if you don't have tools and a comfortable place to work on the car it doesn't make much sense.

:cheers:

If your Porsche dealer tells you that you have to drop the engine to change the oil and filter, I think you've been sold a bill of goods my friend. See this post: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7055. The procedure for a 996 is pretty much the same as a 997.

I'm just as leery of doing my own maintenance as you, so I had my independent mech, who used to work on my old M-B W123, do my last oil and filter change for $20! I supplied the 9 qts of 0W-40 Mobil 1 and the rest of the bits, including the filter and crush ring from Sunset Porsche. The whole thing set me back a grand total of $110. And seeing how easy oil and filter changes are, I might attempt the next one myself. Cheers!

If your Porsche dealer tells you that you have to drop the engine to change the oil and filter, I think you've been sold a bill of goods my friend. See this post: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7055. The procedure for a 996 is pretty much the same as a 997.

I'm just as leery of doing my own maintenance as you, so I had my independent mech, who used to work on my old M-B W123, do my last oil and filter change for $20! I supplied the 9 qts of 0W-40 Mobil 1 and the rest of the bits, including the filter and crush ring from Sunset Porsche. The whole thing set me back a grand total of $110. And seeing how easy oil and filter changes are, I might attempt the next one myself. Cheers!

I actually find it easier to have my mechanic do my oil changes as well. I have a similar relationship (with my mechanic) as you do. Changing the oil is easy...It's disposing of the used oil that I find a bit of a problem.

I actually find it easier to have my mechanic do my oil changes as well. I have a similar relationship (with my mechanic) as you do. Changing the oil is easy...It's disposing of the used oil that I find a bit of a problem.

No 355, nobody said dropping the engine was required for an oil change.

No 355, nobody said dropping the engine was required for an oil change.

Sorry, your post read like that was implied. With the dubious reputations enjoyed by many dealers, I jumped to that conclusion. Enjoy the new ride, and watch your back! Cheers.