Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Weight Loss

Gentlemen and Ladies,

I searched this site and for the life of me I cannot find any topics on weight reduction for the Boxster. (MY1997)

Question, Are there any aluminium body panels eg. doors, hoods, fenders and bootlids available? (I am not to fond of carbon fibre panels)

Thanks,

Pieter.

Gentlemen and Ladies,

I searched this site and for the life of me I cannot find any topics on weight reduction for the Boxster. (MY1997)

Question, Are there any aluminium body panels eg. doors, hoods, fenders and bootlids available? (I am not to fond of carbon fibre panels)

Thanks,

Pieter.

There's no shortage of aftermarket parts available to lighten a Boxster, just depends on what you want to spend.

http://www.boxsterspecracing.org/ is a good place to look since these folks spend a lot of time on adding lightness to their race cars.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your link.

I spent the whole of last night roaming the net and the link on the Boxster spec racing etc. I new about the "Boxster Spec" racing but did not know the rules and the classes etc.

It seems that the 3? classes (BSR, BSX and Super Spec?) do not really have any issues with the weight as you are not allowed to make the car lighter than the stock Boxster.

I see that there are a lot of CF and FRP parts available but the CF and the plastic parts does not really appeal to me.

Thanks for linking me with the "Boxster spec" racing scene. Our Porsche club is starting this racing in South Africa now. I won't be able to join as I have a "super super" Boxster 3.4 996 engine in my boxster. Maybe get a broken 1997 986 and fit my 2.5 engine in it.... now you have started something!...

Regards

Pieter

Gentlemen and Ladies,

Thanks,

Pieter.

There's no shortage of aftermarket parts available to lighten a Boxster, just depends on what you want to spend.

http://www.boxsterspecracing.org/ is a good place to look since these folks spend a lot of time on adding lightness to their race cars.

Mark

Hi Everybody,

I have searched the net and it seems that some 996 models of MY1999 to MY2005 have, OEM, and aluminium hood, bonnet and doors. Is this true?

I cannot find direct evidence anywhere.

Please help.

Regards

Pieter

Check out GT Racing; gt-racing.com

I got my fiberglass shell top from him - it weighs 9 pounds. The doors and tops he makes are for racing with the expectation that you have a full cage to provide protection. As such, some of his stuff is not suitable for a street car.

I stripped my 986S - the heaviest internal bits are the top, the carpet (it is thick with sound deadening material), the doors, which contain a heavy transverse door bar, and the climate control unit under the dash. The factory seats are heavy compared to fiberglass FIA race shells, or course.

Stripping the interior and then adding in a 6-point cage, I am down to 2700#. I believe it can loose quite a bit more.

Note the Super Spec class for up to 2004 986S models is not in existence yet, just planning stages with some rule guidelines coming out.