Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Did a pretty complete search in the 996 section for this, and found nothing.

I have a 1999 996 Carrera 2, blacker than night.

I came out of a hotel in Vegas and find my hood wrinkled, looked like a 340 pound wrestler sat on it.

Supposedly it isn't that noticeable to people unless I point it out, I suppose because it is black.

So now I am faced with a dilemma, should I:

1. Replace it with a carbon fiber hood...since it is black, it should look pretty good.

2. Get the stock hood repaired (bondo?!?!)

3. Replace it with a new stock hood.

If anyone thinks I should get a carbon fiber hood (which is what I am leaning towards) does anyone have any good info on what to look for in one, or better yet, where can I buy one that will fit my car correctly.

Did a pretty complete search in the 996 section for this, and found nothing.

I have a 1999 996 Carrera 2, blacker than night.

I came out of a hotel in Vegas and find my hood wrinkled, looked like a 340 pound wrestler sat on it.

Supposedly it isn't that noticeable to people unless I point it out, I suppose because it is black.

So now I am faced with a dilemma, should I:

1. Replace it with a carbon fiber hood...since it is black, it should look pretty good.

2. Get the stock hood repaired (bondo?!?!)

3. Replace it with a new stock hood.

If anyone thinks I should get a carbon fiber hood (which is what I am leaning towards) does anyone have any good info on what to look for in one, or better yet, where can I buy one that will fit my car correctly.

I would recommend getting a new factory hood. $661 from Sunset Porsche. Use Sikkens paint and it will match fine. I "bent" the front fender on my 02 996 cab and with a new fender and matched paint, you cannot tell.

Hey,

You will still need to paint the CF hood. The UV in sunlight will break down CF fairly quickly if it is not protected by paint or some other covering. Since you need to paint anyway, I think your best bet would be to get your hood repaired or replaced with stock and paint.

Good luck,

Barry

• 1 month later...

Just as a side note: There is a process to protect CF from UV rays and any good CF product sold for street vehicles should already have it applied already. It is a clear coat system and it is baked on as the final process. If you buy off shore (China) you will most likely not get the coating. If you buy a hood made out of CF and you paid under $1000 then dollars to none - you have a cheap non UV coated part. You also have to be careful when you paint CF products as some paint material is not recommended for carbon without special prep and primer being used. The other issue is the product itself should be the proper material for road use as there are many people using the wrong weave and lay up without any reenforcement at high stress points. Even the use of the wrong scissors when cutting the material, the wrong direction of cut and poor curing can be an issue. Don't even get me started on poor storage temperatures for the material and or out of date material that should have been thrown out but was used anyway. There are more ways then Saturdays to screw up the manufacturing of products made out of this material and you don't want to find out the hard way during a track day when your hood fly's open and smashes against your wind screen (seen it happen personally) because the latch pulled right out of the material because it saw half the pressure and half the temperature in the autoclave that it should have seen. Thats the difference between a hood costing $1000 and one costing $2500 and like others have said here - let the Honda nation play with them - they only do 300KPH... in their dreams!