Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997 PCM 2.1 "bricked"

Hi there.

I have a big Problem...

We tried to update our Navigationsystem to use the new Maps (DVD Europe 2008) we bought on Ebay. I also downloaded the UpdateCDs from the Web (My08, UpdateCD1/CD2), and gave it to my brother with an exact manual for updating, don't know if he did it right, but he said he did exactly the things listed in the manual.

Nevertheless he "bricked" his Navi. After a while updating there was an error and he only could click on "cancel".

Now the complete unit won't start again (display stays back) and the updateCD won't come out of the ROM again.

Any advice how to "unbrick" the device? Don't think there's any warranty on this Navisys, the Car is build ~ 2005.

• Moderators

Looks like you have indeed a big problem, sometimes it will go wrong during an update, OPC's only are authorized to update, and covered by the PCM manufacturer to replace (for free) the unit in case it goes wrong. I hope you can find a solution which help you out as cheap as possible.

Sorry to hear youe woes , this sounds like an expensive mistake.

I've said this before ..DO NOT USE TORRENT DOWNLOADS to update your navi ! If you disconnect the battery and wait at least 10 minutes you will reset the navi drive and PCM, however , if the PCM was part way through the update and either the software was incorrect/ corrupted or the power was removed from the unit , the reset will not help. You could be looking at a cost of at least 1000 USD for a second hand unit to replace your brick. There is no way to reflash the PCM software , even at the dealer as the PCM needs to power up to be able to connect to the PWIS workshop tool. If anyone wants advice on how to update the navi please send me an e mail , I can give you some guidance from first hand experience.

If the car is 2005 MY then you also need to be aware of other issues involving the BOSE amplifier if fitted. Its quite possible with a MY 2005 car that the PCM needs to be updated in two stages, first to Level A and secondly to Level B. After updating to level B , then and only then , can the navigation update be applied. Unless you checked the level of software before starting the update , there is no way of knowing what procedure or discs should be used. If you use the discs in the wrong sequence or use the wrong software , permanent damage can result causing the PCM to be useless. The update discs for the cayenne and Boxster/911/Cayman are also different, so be careful what software you use and what its intended use is for.

Edited by berty987

The manual I mentioned was an original Porsche manual, saved as PDF (with all steps how to use the 3 update-cds).

We haven't disconnected the battery, but we disconnected the fuse over night. It made no difference, the Navi still won't come up again. IMHO there are 2 possible reasons for the brick: 1) the CD-R was crap (Phillips) or 2) my brother didn't follow the manual exactly.

My hope was that anyone knew some secret "reset-mechanism" to restore to the original Firmware. I've bricked my Linksys-Routers quite often, but there was always a possibility to debrick them (RS-232).

I told him to go to a Dealer and ask for solutions, I hope they won't get mad about the downloaded CD-R, which is still in the ROM.

Edited by Zylex

This doesn't sound (no pun intended) to be the Bose Amp problem although it just might be. If one attempts to update the PCM software on a early issue Bose Amp equipped 997 it might cause the amp to go into a 'brick state'. The result would be no audio at all. The PCM/NAV, at least in my case, continued to work properly sans audio.

I ultimately had the Bose Amp replaced (w/ a newer revision level). Once that was done the PCM software update completed normally and the new NAV DVD functioned just fine.

Good luck!

I went to a dealer today, they removed the unit, but also couldn't get it up again. They opened a support-ticket at the "porsche headquarters" and are going to send them the unit for further diagnostics..

**** update, I don't wanna buy a new PCM :(

• 3 weeks later...

Yea, I recommend ALL of you to go to a dealer for ANY updates. It's not worth bricking the device. We could have bought the newest Maps-DVD 2009 for 500€, but now we only have the 2008 DVD for ~700€.. :cheers:

Edited by Zylex

Sorry to hear youe woes , this sounds like an expensive mistake.

I've said this before ..DO NOT USE TORRENT DOWNLOADS to update your navi ! If you disconnect the battery and wait at least 10 minutes you will reset the navi drive and PCM, however , if the PCM was part way through the update and either the software was incorrect/ corrupted or the power was removed from the unit , the reset will not help. You could be looking at a cost of at least 1000 USD for a second hand unit to replace your brick. There is no way to reflash the PCM software , even at the dealer as the PCM needs to power up to be able to connect to the PWIS workshop tool. If anyone wants advice on how to update the navi please send me an e mail , I can give you some guidance from first hand experience.

If the car is 2005 MY then you also need to be aware of other issues involving the BOSE amplifier if fitted. Its quite possible with a MY 2005 car that the PCM needs to be updated in two stages, first to Level A and secondly to Level B. After updating to level B , then and only then , can the navigation update be applied. Unless you checked the level of software before starting the update , there is no way of knowing what procedure or discs should be used. If you use the discs in the wrong sequence or use the wrong software , permanent damage can result causing the PCM to be useless. The update discs for the cayenne and Boxster/911/Cayman are also different, so be careful what software you use and what its intended use is for.

Hi, so is there finally an update (2009), i am currently running an 05/2007 uk map but have been informed via this forum that the 2009 version is the same as the 2007 map, is this still so?

regards Tim

Hi, so is there finally an update (2009), i am currently running an 05/2007 uk map but have been informed via this forum that the 2009 version is the same as the 2007 map, is this still so?

regards Tim

the new DVD "PCM 2.1 DVD-Navigation Europe 08/2009" should have maps from 11/2008 (thats what people say on the net). only the update CDs are still 2007 they say..