Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tire Rack question

Does anyone know if the preferred installers listed on Tire Rack's website is given any kind of compensation from Tire Rack for their service?

I just had some tires shipped to one the preferred installers here and had them mounted and while they were just as friendly and cheerfull as could be, I couldn't help but feel guilty for doing this. They never once commented negatively about it, but I still had that guilty feeling.

They charged $66.00 to mount and balance 4 tires on my wheels that I brought in off of the car. This included tape weights etc... It is kind of like buying your steak at WalMart and then carring it to Outback and asking them to cook it for you!

They have a tremedous liability for such a small labor charge that I would never consider doing it if I was in their shoes. All it would take is for the bead breaker to slip or the wheel clamp to slip and ruin a wheel to make for a disaster for them.

Just wondering.........

Tony

I'm not sure about compensation, but I use tire rack all the time. The preferred installer in my area doesn't carry the tires that I put on my p car. The $10-$20 per wheel they get to mount them is still money they wouldn't have had otherwise. They have corporate insurance to cover any damages that may occur. I'm sure that isn't much of a worry for them. They are just glad to get another customer out of the deal, and some free (or cheap) advertising on tire rack.

If your feeling guilty, I'm sure the installer would love for you to come back any buy some tires for the wife's car...

Does anyone know if the preferred installers listed on Tire Rack's website is given any kind of compensation from Tire Rack for their service?

I just had some tires shipped to one the preferred installers here and had them mounted and while they were just as friendly and cheerfull as could be, I couldn't help but feel guilty for doing this. They never once commented negatively about it, but I still had that guilty feeling.

They charged $66.00 to mount and balance 4 tires on my wheels that I brought in off of the car. This included tape weights etc... It is kind of like buying your steak at WalMart and then carring it to Outback and asking them to cook it for you!

They have a tremedous liability for such a small labor charge that I would never consider doing it if I was in their shoes. All it would take is for the bead breaker to slip or the wheel clamp to slip and ruin a wheel to make for a disaster for them.

Just wondering.........

Tony

Tony:

You should not feel guilty at all. Period.

My father used to say "if it wasn't financially worth it to them, you can be sure that they would not be doing it... they must have some reason that you know nothing about".

In today's economy, it's probably more true than ever. Just give the guy doing the actual work a nice tip and be happy. :cheers:

Regards, Maurice.

Next time you can ask if the shop doing the install will match TR's price. Some (maybe all) tire shops can get better rates from TR and are able to make some $$ while still giving you the same price as if you had ordered them directly yourself. And $66 to install and balance 4 tires is a good price, or at least it would be around here.