Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How Do I Test MAF and Wiring, Cold Start Problem

Hi,

I have a 1999 C4 (E-gas) that is still exhibiting the following problems. When first started (from cold) it idles fine, after taking off it tends to bog between 2-3000 rpm's and then the ABS/PSM warning lights come on. It then tends to surge slightly, giving and releasing throttle without moving the gas pedal. Once warm (5-10 minutes, when it reaches 180) it drives perfect. Does it no longer need the MAF after its warmed up? The code it is throwing is P0102 and 5525 according to the dealer, they remapped the DME with no change. The MAF has been replaced (no change) and I believe this means it is a connection problem to the MAF. How do I test the wiring/connector to see if/where it is losing contact? Is there a fuse for the MAF? Should I be trying something else? I have cleaned the throttle body twice with no change and run nothing but premium Chevron and have run a bottle of Techron cleaner through it with no change.

Any help is much appreciated, Jerry

• Admin
No, the MAF is a new unit from Pelican. I don't believe the dealer tested it in some way. That's what I'm after, how do I test the MAF and wiring? I do not have Durametric or anything else.

Jerry

Sorry, you will need the Durametric software, a PST2 or PIWIS tester to read the air flow over the MAF at idle and at 2500 RPM.

Ok, thanks for the reply. Suppose its time to invest in some durametric software, first I have to figure out how to get this Mac to run windows.

If you have a mac with intel processor, you can run parallels, bootcamp or VMware...in all cases you will have to get a copy of the dreaded windows....LOL.

I have a Macbook with durametric installed and it works great!

• 3 weeks later...

Update: need opinions.

The symptoms are getting more pronounced now. The surging is becoming more frequent (probably the cooler weather). Took the car to my independent to have the air bag harnesses replaced under the seats and had them diagnose my cold start/surging issues. I have new codes now, P1503 and P1506 as well as P0102. The mechanic stated that the throttle body was very noisy and most likely causing the surging and hesitating problems. He recommended the throttle body be replaced. Is that my best course of action? If I order a throttle body does that include the electronics that may or may not be causing these issues or are those transferred from the old throttle body to the new. The mechanic stated the throttle body was less than $350. This is for a 1999 C4 E-gas. Is this something I should do myself? Thanks as always for any help given.

Jerry

Yes, you can do it yourself.

Why would you replace the throttle body if the codes say throttle jacking unit (which attaches to the throttle body)?

Well I didn't know that the "throttle jacking unit" attached to the unit. thought maybe it came with the throttle body if replaced as a whole. Which is why I posted the question. All the mechanic told me was that the throttle body was extremely noisy and possibly needed to be replaced. Could the noise be from the jacking unit? Could both need replacing? Is the jacking unit serviceable? If you can send me a part number then I'll order the jacking unit and see if that does it?

Thanks, Jerry