Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello all,

With a baby on the way i think it is time to give up the 911 turbo and move on to a cayenne ... for the next few years anyway.

Im looking to spend 25-35k

any ideas on what i should get ... i would love an 04 turbo with 40k-50k miles on it, but it seems risky. So perhaps an 05 S with 30k miles on it.

Just looking for some general advice.

thanks

Congrats on the new baby. I am planning to replace my MINI for a Cayenne for the same reason. I am looking as well and have done alot of research on the topic. My personal opinion is that you are better off with a 05 Cayenne S, then a 04 Cayenne Turbo. From what I have found the 05's where vastly improved with regards to reliability and tire wear issues. Your best bet is an 06 or 06 Titanium package (lots of standard options). Also in your search remember that 07 where never made. So your choices will be 2006, 2008, 2009. I plan to wait till spring assumeing 06 and 08 will be rolling out of leases. If you PM me what your looking for I can keep my eyes out for you.

Andrew

+1

2006 seems to be a great year for them, the leases are coming in already, I picked up a CTTS off lease. I think you can possible get a 06 CTT for $35 if you can get someone you trust to pick one up in a P Auction, they usually run once a month. Make sure the mileage is under for warranty.

I agree with the previous comments. In terms of reliability, the 2005 is probably a better bet. That being said, it isn't any guarantee. I'd take a late build 2004 with a well documented service history over a 2005 with no information. My 2004 has been very good. It was manufactured in May of 2004, not long before the switch over to 2005s.

If you buy a turbo, you'll get more standard features, including PASM which I think is a very nice option on the Cayenne. You can find it on a Cayenne S, but it isn't as easy.

As for tire wear, I think you'll find that these vehicles are heavy and they go through performance rubber and brakes pretty quickly. I would expect tires to be totally worn in the 20K range, regardless of the year you choose.

Good luck with the search.

I agree with the previous comments. In terms of reliability, the 2005 is probably a better bet. That being said, it isn't any guarantee. I'd take a late build 2004 with a well documented service history over a 2005 with no information. My 2004 has been very good. It was manufactured in May of 2004, not long before the switch over to 2005s.

If you buy a turbo, you'll get more standard features, including PASM which I think is a very nice option on the Cayenne. You can find it on a Cayenne S, but it isn't as easy.

As for tire wear, I think you'll find that these vehicles are heavy and they go through performance rubber and brakes pretty quickly. I would expect tires to be totally worn in the 20K range, regardless of the year you choose.

Are there any engine issues to be wary of -- anything like the issues the M96 engines have?

Is there a buyers guide to Cayennes like there is for Boxsters?

We have a Volvo XC90 Sport ready to be returned from Lease and are looking for something with a more permenant home..... Although the 3rd row issue may nix the Cayenne,

I'd like to explore my options.

thanks,

Mike

Are there any engine issues to be wary of -- anything like the issues the M96 engines have?

Is there a buyers guide to Cayennes like there is for Boxsters?

We have a Volvo XC90 Sport ready to be returned from Lease and are looking for something with a more permenant home..... Although the 3rd row issue may nix the Cayenne,

I'd like to explore my options.

thanks,

Mike

I haven't heard of major engine issues with the Cayenne like the issues with the early M96 engines. I think the biggest issue with the Cayenne engine is the plastic coolant pipes in the engine. In hotter climates like Austin, they can crack and need to be replaced. There is a metal coolant pipe replacement part, but it is a fairly extensive job. There are also issues with cardan shafts and coils, but nothing a dramatic as an IMS failure on an M96 issue. If you purchase a used Cayenne, a warranty is a good idea.

As far as I know from speaking to my dealer no warranty Porsche or Aftermarket covers the coolant pipes, your on your own there. One person post exact steps with pictures, it looked very do able yourself... Coils are covered, plugs are not (should do both if coils are being changed, latest coils end with - 05 part number). Shafts I have seen talked about, not sure what is the history there.

Oh BTW, I like the turbo in your autotrader post, but everyone will tell you, you have to go see it yourself, spend a lot of time checking and driving it, play with everything :) I would go see it and drive it in the day and come back another time at night and do it all over again.

Edited by madburg

I think you can do the coolant pipes yourself if you have some skills with a wrench. It involves taking the intake manifold off to get to the pipes. Not as easy as a brake job or an oil change, but not terrible. I think I saw the new metal pipes and parts retail for roughly $800.

I'll have to check my warranty to see if this would be covered, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

I bought an 04 Cayenne S 2 years ago. I've had most of the major issues with it and have resolved them all. This forum has given me 10 fold better info than the dealer I took it to for a "complete check up". The S has enough power to have fun. I recently drove a 2006 Turbo S and the power was great but I found it hard to use. Once the turbos spool up you are almost going too fast. The S with some exhaust work is a lot of fun around town BUT it will never be a Turbo. I was at a high school football game last night and a 15 or 16 year old cheerleader ran up to it, looked at the back and said "oh, it's not a turbo :( but I love your truck"! :D Buy what won't dissappoint you and what you can afford!

I bought an 04 Cayenne S 2 years ago. I've had most of the major issues with it and have resolved them all. This forum has given me 10 fold better info than the dealer I took it to for a "complete check up". The S has enough power to have fun. I recently drove a 2006 Turbo S and the power was great but I found it hard to use. Once the turbos spool up you are almost going too fast. The S with some exhaust work is a lot of fun around town BUT it will never be a Turbo. I was at a high school football game last night and a 15 or 16 year old cheerleader ran up to it, looked at the back and said "oh, it's not a turbo :( but I love your truck"! :D Buy what won't dissappoint you and what you can afford!

Oh those 16 yr olds can be had for about $50 by buying the Turbo applique at the dealership :-)

M

Hey guys, new here. I'm looking at a Cayenne as well. We test drove a 2008 ML350 the other day and it was nice but kind of blah. The wife loved it, but she loves the look of Cayenne. Trying to get comparisons between the two if there is anyone who has owned or test driven them. I'm stuck in El Paso (moving back to Denver in October) and there isn't a used cayenne within 300 miles of here.

So my short question is: How does the entry model ride in terms of stiffness compared to the ML?

Thanks!

:welcome:

I had my '06 Cayenne in El Paso a few months back...nice road trip out from San Diego. I'm there often doing business in El Paso/Juarez. Not so bad...but I'm sure you can't wait to get back to Denver. I've travelled all over and when I get to El Paso it still amazes me how cultural it is.

I've never driven the ML, so I can't really advise you on the ride. For me, the style is not something I care for. I have two Cayenne's and we've never even considered driving another SUV. That being said, there are many quality SUV's.

There is certainly an exclusiveness about Porsche...you can go to the MB dealer on Airway Drive across from the Starbucks and drive an ML. As you mentioned, not a used [or new] Porsche within 300 miles. It's definitely been a special brand for me. That's what differentiates the ride from so many others...

Cayennes are great vehicles. I've been very pleased with my Porsche experience. Where I live there is a plethora of performance vehicles...the Cayenne always seems to draw the attention. If a person walks up to a ML or a Cayenne in a parking lot, nine times out of ten the Cayenne is the vehicle of interest. Just my subjective opinion. I have no empirical data to support that comment. :P

Happy Shopping!

Bill :beer:

Edited by Bill_SoCal

Hi -- check out this thread: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...ic=27242&hl

A lot of excellent Cayenne posts and info in terms of real world experiences. I bought a 2004 Cayenne S, Certified Pre-Owned and love it. We also had a baby and wanted a safer vehicle.

What I wrote:

>

2004 S w/58,000miles. (2004 S has the engine you cite in your post: 4.5.) Recent purchase (CPO from dealer) in March 2009. MPG overall city/hwy is 15 to 16 but that's mostly city, suburbs. If taken easy and driven within limits then 19 and possibly 20MPG may be attainable on hwy. So far all premium gasoline (Shell).

Love the vehicle. We have a new baby girl and seeing her in the middle of the rear seat in her car seat is a significant comfort. Cayennes are well built, handle well and are solid/safe. Yes they are heavy but you know this already. Google "Cayenne crash" and you can see how well these vehicles do in major collisions.

You may find this amusing, we came close to purchasing a Honda Fit. We also looked at the Subaru Forrester XT and the VW Jetta TDI wagon -- all new. All decent vehicles but none as safe as a used Cayenne. They seemed like tin cans compared to the Cayenne. The CPO is a comfort as it's under warranty for 2 more years or 100,000 miles plus roadside assistance. The vehicle has been well cared for -- it's all stock, was a lease return -- in stunning condition -- and all the service and TSBs have been completed by dealers.

Cayenne handles well -- more high-end sedan than SUV. My S does not have the air suspension -- the spring suspension provides a somewhat harsh ride but we test drove it (it's mainly my wife's vehicle ) and knew what we were getting into. We opted for less complexity and the tighter ride is fine with us. Plus that's what the dealer had in the CPO price range we were looking at. But, it does have PCM, HID lights, amazing interior, tire pressure monitoring, etc, etc.

We are somewhat mellow drivers but we can tell this vehicle, when pushed, totally delivers. You name it, merging, cornering, braking, wet weather, high speeds. And a low speed note -- the turning radius is excellent. Better than my Subaru Outback I sold after we purchased the Cayenne.

Dealer has been amazing. I am stunned with their overall service (Sonnen Marin) and attention to detail. As a CPO it's still under warranty and we've had a few minor issues dealt with quickly and professionally (and more importantly, preemptively. It was at the dealer, when we were driving away, that they noticed the starter sounded odd -- we did not notice -- so they replaced the starter under warranty).

We are treated as if it's a new car. And we are not the typical Porsche demographic. We first drove up in a VW Golf dressed in hiking clothes and dusty (we stopped by the dealer after a hike). We were treated as if we were anyone else in business clothes. The Porsche vibe is more down-to-earth/techno hip than BWM or Merc snooty vibe from what I can tell.

So yes, service costs more than other vehicles, the weight makes tires wear quickly (I have 19" wheels) and MPG is an issue but you know it going into the deal. And you can purchase Cayenne/Porsche approved tires at Costco although the dealer has almost as good deals.

Know that the Cayenne will take some time to "learn" -- so read the manuals, spend time on this site and you are set. I purchased a battery conditioner which I plug in and then can sit for hours in the Cayenne in the garage with the engine off, but electrics on, which allowed me to learn every switch and setting overall, PCM, etc. -- with no battery drain. By learn it I mean know where you battery is, how to jack up the vehicle the event of a flat, how the keys work (and the key is a mini version of the Cayenne -- so very cool, I love the detail), how to set-up Homelink, etc. You'll be surprised how much detail the manuals cover. How to access your battery, pull the headlight/tailight housings and a lot more is covered.

It's a very safe vehicle and I actually look forward to driving it. PCM is straightforward and the sound excellent. I have not taken it off road or in the snow. I'm not an off roader but it will handle fire roads and similar terrain with no problem. I may get all weather tires this fall and trips to Tahoe will be fine.

Upgrades I've made: I purchased the 18" collapsible spare (found one on Craigslist ), front and rear carpets (from an online store) and a Weatherguard cargo liner (from another online store). Also roof rails from Sunset Porsche -- with the Renntech.org discount. And it's this site that has the roof rail installation instructions. I love the rails. They look great (silver) and you can then use Yakima or other cross bars. The rails do not change anything as it reals to wind noise. Cross bars do but you can take them off and on easily from the rails.

I happen to like the older Cayenne front ends without the LED lights more than the new front ends so the '04 is fine with me.

So, would I repeat my purchase, buy this vehicle again? Yes. Without a doubt. We love it. I've never felt this way about a vehicle. I'm pushing for a long road trip this summer -- gas prices be damned.

And this site is absolutely, bar none, the best resource. In fact, knowing this site exists makes me consider someday purchasing another Porsche.

Anyway, I could go on and on. The S was fine for me but if you can swing it go for the Turbo.

Edited by odix

• 2 months later...

We (my wife) tow/drive it (CS) everywhere. It really is about needs... I towed with a Tahoe & my wife would not drive it. When was time to replace her car (outback) she said lets get a BMW X3 to tow with. Then I need to explain that it could not handle the trailer/car weight... It need to be the X5... Which she hated. Luck would have it that the local BMW dealer also is the Porsche dealer. She walked up to the CS an screamed I love it! 2 days later it was in the driveway. Now she drives it everywhere and has not stopped giggling... :drive: There must be some sorta giggle button in the drivers seat (my father keeps saying that). After 4 famiy trips this year (each with 1 way travel times of at least 10 hrs) we will buy another. It is not a FULL SIZE truck nor is it a car... It is a balance that can meet specific needs.