Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Broken turn signal lever

I signal for left turn while turning my steering right. I felt some bad resistance as I push the lever down and an abnormal click sound. After the turn, the lever does not neutralize (does not automatically turn off). On top of that, the right turn position does not stick and just comes back down. Got back home and had a look at the lever and found a small piece of plastic loose around the area on top of the lever.

Has anyone had this problem before? Any pointers to DIY fix?

Any help would be appreciated =)

(986 2003 S)

Did some research, looks like the stalk (lever) component is broken so will have replace the whole assembly (combination swtich). This Porsche component feels fragile for a heavily used function.

Now I am looking for a DIY guide for replacing the unit on 986 2003 S.

If you don't have the On Board Computer (OBC) and/or cruise control, now is a good time to add them. They are easily done and there are DIY threads and plenty of help from those who have done the "hacks" here on the board.

Bill

How many stalks do you have and what are they for?

Search around for OBC retrofit. Because when we do it we remove the steering wheel and the stalk assembly, and replace it with a new unit that has the additional OBC stalk.

Have they made a more robust turn signal stalk mechanism yet? I'm on my second replacement on my 01, after the darn internal plastic tab broke off, effectively leaving the stalk non-canceling after turns. What a cheap unit they put in there.

Search around for OBC retrofit. Because when we do it we remove the steering wheel and the stalk assembly, and replace it with a new unit that has the additional OBC stalk.

Have they made a more robust turn signal stalk mechanism yet? I'm on my second replacement on my 01, after the darn internal plastic tab broke off, effectively leaving the stalk non-canceling after turns. What a cheap unit they put in there.

Valet parking 1 - DL 0 :angry:

I bet now you have your very own Porsche garage the chances of you breaking it again are zero :)

• Moderators

For some reason I have in my mind the same company makes this kind of stuff for Audi.

I bought the assembly last year for a guy because his tun signal lever would not return. Something wrong inside. So I remove the OBC stalk to use on another car for an OBC retrofit.

So if you replace the assembly because of the turn signals and you have OBC save the stalk.

post-4-1253828881_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the responses. My car has the OBC/cruise already so I won't get any extra from the replacement.

Found a guide with photos on the OBC hack:

http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/obc/obc.stalk.pdf

Some prep questions:

Does anyone know the size of the socket for the steer wheel nut? Would a T27 torx work in place of T30?

Where is a good place to source the 4 stalk assembly?

• Moderators

Here I go again, with Yoseif Whiteson stuff. Yoseif was a local 2001 2.7 Boxster owner from 100 years ago. He never did the OBC retrofit with the stalk. I was the first local non-dealership guy to do it, with the help of Peter Smith. The link with the pictures were taken by a local owner named Dan because I did not have a digital camera 100 years ago. They were taken of me, working on Bruce's car. Don't do it the same way anymore. I wish that thing was long gone. And the funny thing is, Yoseif "the expert" did it with a switch and it did not work. I took him over to Peter and then it worked.

Socket for the nut is 24mm. Torx for the air bag is T30.

I have some 3 stalk switch assemblies leftover from prior OBC retrofits. They are of course missing the OBC stalk. You can remove your OBC stalk and put it on a leftover. Free if you are local. Otherwise something to trade.

Thanks for the responses. My car has the OBC/cruise already so I won't get any extra from the replacement.

Found a guide with photos on the OBC hack:

http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/obc/obc.stalk.pdf

Some prep questions:

Does anyone know the size of the socket for the steer wheel nut? Would a T27 torx work in place of T30?

Where is a good place to source the 4 stalk assembly?

Not sure of the size of the steering wheel nut, but I do know it is a standard metric size and has a spring washer too. The Torx T30 is the size of the two (2) fastening screws that hold on the airbag. They are accessible from from behind the wheel. A Torx T27 won't work. When you remove these screws re-insert them into the airbag and always store the airbag so that the cushioned side faces upward.

Here is a good thread with more info. PRESS HERE

Edited by kbrandsma

I ordered all parts from Sunset Porsche in Beaverton, Oregon. Here are the part numbers and the price I paid a little over a year ago.

1) 996-613-219-10

EWC 4 coulmn switch - $166.29

2) 999-650-513-40

Plug Socket (for wiring harness) - $2.86

3) 000-979-009

VW Wiring Set (5 of them) - $13.05

4) 993-552-573-01-01C

Steering Wheel Switch Cover (additional opening for 4th stalk on Left hand side) - $6.06

Edited by kbrandsma

Valet parking 1 - DL 0 :angry:

I bet now you have your very own Porsche garage the chances of you breaking it again are zero :)

Ha...the first time, yes- my valet at my NYC parking garage snapped the entire stalk off, which necessitated a replacement. The turn signal was still canceling out fine at the time. However, the second replacement was because the turn signal no longer cancelled after turns.

• 3 years later...

I see this post is a few years old. I can't seem to open the guide to check out what happened to my turn signal cancellations. Can anyone repost of email the instructions on replacing this? I have a '98. Thanks in advance and if you're local to the Bay Area, I'll happily accept help :) nsoudah@aol.com

• Admin

I see this post is a few years old. I can't seem to open the guide to check out what happened to my turn signal cancellations. Can anyone repost of email the instructions on replacing this? I have a '98. Thanks in advance and if you're local to the Bay Area, I'll happily accept help :) nsoudah@aol.com

OBC Hack.pdf

Thanks Loren. I'll look at the PDF later tonight. Is this the one for the turn signal not cancelling on it's own anymore? I quickly looked at the picks and didn't see the steering wheel removal instructions. Thanks again!

• 3 years later...

I searched for newer relevant threads, so apologies in advance if this should be elsewhere...

I just finished replacing the 4-stalk assembly in my '02 996TT so I thought I'd post a few comments about my experience.

• Bought the Intermotor (Standard Motor Products) replacement from RockAuto; P/N: CBS2235 $201.79 plus tax/shipping.  Seemed to be the cheapest I could find on-line; no guarantees that it's the lowest, YMMV, yadda, yadda.  Interesting thing is, it turned out to be a GENUINE Porsche part!!  Had a Porsche quality control sticker with the Porsche P/N: 99661321910EWC.  It would appear that Intermotor supplies Porsche. Now, don't blame me if you order from RockAuto and it doesn't have the sticker!!  I am just relating what I received:)
  • Watched this Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hux78ZoPcAI
  • WATCH the video, or something equivalent, before starting this project.  You do NOT want to figure this out on your own!
  • Time: Took me about 1.5 hours to disassemble and 2 hours reassemble=3.5 hours total.  I worked very slowly and carefully having never done this before.  I'd bet I could do this job completely in just over 1 hour next time (hope there isn't!!)
  • Tools:
  1. LONG T30 torx to remove airbag.  A short socket type T30 will NOT work; the torx head screws are recessed over an inch.
  2. Small standard blade to remove plugs covering airbag torx screw holes, airbag connector and turn signal wire harness connector.
  3. Small Phillips to remove the two screws holding the steering column cover in place.
  4. Medium Phillips to remove front 4 screws holding the front bezel and 2 screws holding the 'clock spring' in place.
  5. Tape for holding the 'clock spring' together while it's removed.
  6. 8mm socket or nutdriver for the turn signal holding clamp.

Difficulties encountered:

• Engaging the torx tool into the recessed torx heads is a *****!  Turn the wheel so the access hole is BELOW the instrument panel.  The video shows the steering wheel in the straight ahead position when doing this....did NOT work for me!  YMMV.  Again you need a LONG torx tool or you can't reach the screw head. You can't use an extension as a socket is too big to fit in the hole.  Seems obvious, but make sure you are turning the correct direction as you are FACING forward and the screws are are on the OPPOSITE side of the steering wheel.  Mine were pretty tight so BE SURE which way you are turning.
  • Disconnecting the two turn signal wire harness connectors.  You need to 'pop' them out of the plastic retaining clips by carefully using a small screwdriver to 'open' the clips and ease them out.  The smaller connector unplugs without trouble but the larger one has a 'dimple' on the plug half of the connector that engages in a hole on the shell half.  Use a small screwdriver to VERY carefully pry up the connector shell so the the 'dimple' disengages while simultaneously pulling apart the connectors; three hands would help, but it's really not as hard as my description sounds:)  The real point is that you can't just pull the larger connector apart like you can the smaller one.  Don't just pull harder!
  • The plastic part that holds the those wire harness connectors also holds part of the wiring harness as well as other connectors.  It fits over the top of the steering column and, here's the important part, ENGAGES in SLOTS on the BOTTOM half of the steering column cover.  When reassembling, start with the BOTTOM steering column cover and make sure its slots engage in the multiple tabs (four, IIRC) on the 'plastic part' described above.  The right hand side only has a single tab to engage, but it's a bit tricky to line everything up and hold it in place while fitting the TOP half of the steering column cover.
  • The four screws that hold the front bezel are self tapping into the new turn signal assembly.  That is, the new assembly has holes but they are NOT threaded.  You need to carefully use one of the screws to tap the holes. This is best done on the bench before installing into the car.  Naturally, I did not notice before I already had everything back in place.  It takes quite a bit of force and it's lucky I didn't slip with the screwdriver and damage something.  Thread the holes BEFORE you reassemble!
  • Despite the video, I waited until the steering column cover was screwed back together BEFORE putting the soft rubber 'plugs' that fit over the control stalks into place.  Having them half in while trying to put the steering column together complicates the process.  Much easier after that is done.

While this isn't a difficult job, it is one that requires some patience and care (plenty of plastic parts to break if you try to force anything).  You don't need engine rebuilding skill, but first timers should NOT make this their first automotive DIY effort :)

At a little over $200, all in, I suspect I saved a BUNDLE over even an independent mechanic, let alone the stealership!

Good luck!

Edited by MikeOH
Added threading holes bullet point
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Thanks MikeOH! I just bought a '98 Boxster and I am slowly trying to tackle the little things that break/go bad on them. The turn signal not cancelling is one. The frunk light switch is on my list as well. I want to try any DIY I can do to save $$ for the IMS upgrade.