Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

• Moderators

And you only thought I was nuts. Sears DieHard International group sizes 47, 48, and 49, lined up so you can see the difference in length. Made by Johnson Controls which now owns Optima, and Johnson Controls also make the AutoZone batteries. Each of the Sears batteries has the plastic cap for the positive terminal and the plastic bag with the vent tube and adapter.

Costco next, as Johnson Controls also makes their batteries. :D

For Henry, I wish I took a picture at our local dealer of 2 pallets loaded with bad Moll batteries behind the shop. Lowest bidder? I want US lead and acid, or even from Mexico.

post-4-1098647256_thumb.jpg

post-4-1098647984_thumb.jpg

I went to my local Sears (Monkey Mall) as I needed a battery quickly - daily driver. They refused to install an Optima as their system said they were too tall! I finally buckled and had one of the Die Hards, as above, installed. $99 plus installation. This weekend I noticed they didn't even install the vent hose, so I'll stop by on the way home this week to have them install it properly.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

The Costco in Santa Clara has not had the 47 in stock the last few times I have been there. I was there today - still not in stock. There is no sticker on the racks for a 48.

But I did buy a 25 for my Toyota truck. The last one I bought several years ago had a 2 year free replacement warranty. The one I bought today is 3 years.

Update. I was at the Costco in Mountain View today and they had plenty of 47s on the shelf. No sticker for a 48.

post-4-1106085763_thumb.jpg

post-4-1107649502_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tool Pants

• Moderators

I was at Autozone today to have them check out my battery.

48 was back in stock and on the shelf.

But, Mobil One 0W-40 and 15W-50 was not on the shelf, just the stickers on the empty racks.

I wonder who is buying this stuff since it is not common, like a Toyota or GM products.

STP has an oil filter listed for a Porsche. Nothing on the shelf. Would be interesting to see who actually makes a low production filter with the STP brand on it.

post-4-1106609211_thumb.jpg

post-4-1110491726_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but I just installed the Duralast battery from Autozone in my 2003 Carrera. I connected the new vent tube with adapter to the old vent tube with adapter. Did I need to cut off the old vent tube adapter and connect it straight to the tube? Thanks for the help.

Vik

• Admin
Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but I just installed the Duralast battery from Autozone in my 2003 Carrera. I connected the new vent tube with adapter to the old vent tube with adapter. Did I need to cut off the old vent tube adapter and connect it straight to the tube? Thanks for the help.

Vik

Yes. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...ost&p=14457

Vik

Yes. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...ost&p=14457

:P

Thanks! I didn't see your post. The old adapter just slid off and the old tube fit right into the new adapter. Thanks again for your help.

Edited by Vik

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Well, those Kirkland folks must be driving Porches.

Gilroy Costco. Both 47 (53.99) and 48 ($62.99) on the shelf.

Santa Clara Costco still does not have a sticker for 48. There is a sticker for 47 but the shelf was empty.

Update on Santa Clara/Coleman Avenue Costco. I was there yesterday, January 12, 2007, looking at tires for my truck. There was a sticker for the 48 and about 4 on the shelf. For the 47 there were about 5 on the shelf but no sticker. Some of the vent tubes in the plastic bags were missing.

post-4-1164696868_thumb.jpg

post-4-1164696929_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tool Pants

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had to get a new battery myself. For the Canadian's who cannot get the Duralast Battery, the Interstate Mega-Tron Plus, made by Johnson Controls looks just like the Duralast including the red cap on the positive terminal - and its available in the Toronto Area. CCA of 700, with a reserve capacity of 120 mins and it fits. 85 month pro-rated warranty. I had my mechanic install so it wasn't that cheap at $150, but it has better specs than anything you will find at Canadian Tire.

• Moderators

No new battery pictures in 2 weeks, so I went to my local Pep Boys for a Toyota part and brought my camera just in case.

Bosch branded (hecho en Mexico). I am almost positive these Bosch batteries are made by Johnson Controls.

First picture has the 47 and 48 next to each other.

Second picture has the monster 49.

All 3 had the vent tube and all 3 were priced at $89.99. 3 year free replacement warranty, and pro rated after that.

post-4-1166914192_thumb.jpg

post-4-1166914252_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

The huge 49 is the same price as the smaller 48 and the yet smaller 47, $89.99. Bring a forklift - that 49 is big.

I forgot to look to see who makes these Bosch branded batteries. Poking around the internet it looks like Johnson Controls uses the Bosch name for Pep Boys, like they use the Duralast name for Autozone.

If you see a Bosch look at the paper instructions for the vent tube and see if it says Johnson Controls.

New Year's Eve update: my '04 GT3 (daily driver with 29K miles) has for the last week shown all signs of a dying battery. Since the car starts so easily the big drop in terminal voltage didn't prevent starting. While 30 months battery life sucks, there isn't much to do but replace the battery. Costco (Santa Clara/Coleman Ave) had 4 of the size 47 batteries (yes, Johnson Controls), 3 of which had the red positive terminal cover and the vent hose. Price is up a bit, to $53.99 but it is a perfect fit in the smallest of the 3 mounting holes, and is a perfect match for the original GT3 battery. Thanks to all for the great info here; I would never have tried a "standard" American sized battery without all the prior info. After having made numerous mods to early 911s to accommodate American batteries, this is a true pleasure to find Porsche thinking ahead for us. Happy New Year all!

Costco (Santa Clara/Coleman Ave) had 4 of the size 47 batteries (yes, Johnson Controls), 3 of which had the red positive terminal cover and the vent hose. Price is up a bit, to $53.99 but it is a perfect fit in the smallest of the 3 mounting holes

Just a cost update. Costco - Houston I-10 - had Group 48 for $54.27, although the price was mismarked on the shelf as $38 and change. Installation was very easy. The $5.00 9 volt systems maintainer I bought at Autozone worked too.

How about the Odessey battery? lightweight, no fluids or vent, better performance and 10 year guarantee. I've had one in my GT3 for 2 years. Pulled the anchor old type and mounted this on the front floor.

post-647-1168312663_thumb.jpg

Edited by RayGT3

Tool Pants,

I have no association with Odessey other than being a satisified customer.

With all due respect, these batteries (Odessey) have one of the highest power/weight density (< 12 lbs for the battery I use, and less for the next size down) of any commercial/military battery. I've been using this one for two years (my third winter) with absolutely no problem at all in my GT3. Actually I could have gone with a smaller size and been OK. I've read in the car trade mags that the high end car manufacturers are finally going to this technology battery. These are actually dry cell design not wet cell, no gas venting and can be shipped in the normal UPS etc. way. Punch a hole in the side, no leakage. I fail to see the impractability, could you elaborate please.

How about the Odessey battery? lightweight, no fluids or vent, better performance and 10 year guarantee. I've had one in my GT3 for 2 years. Pulled the anchor old type and mounted this on the front floor.

post-647-1168312663_thumb.jpg

Why not keep it mounted in the factory battery tray? Just wondering. --Brian

Brian,

If in fact you have to have some weight in a vehicle, it's better handling wise, to keep it as low as possible and in a Porsche forward is better than rearward. In this case you are moving a much lighter battery, down as well as forward. The old battery was, I think 20 some pounds heavier and placed high under the windshield, two worst cases. Getting rid of weight is probablly one of the best, cost effective ways, to improve performance. No promotional BS here you can calculate the actual gains, HP/Lbs.

Ok. Noticed that the photo on the tool pants post is an Odyssey pc680. Checking the web it shows it is a replacement for a motorcicle battery.

!Are these batteries so good that a motorcicle battery can be used for a Porsche?

hi8ha,

I'll say it again, I've been using this battery in my GT3 for going on 3 years, sitting for months at a time in below freezing temps, and have had no problems of any sort. Not sure I understand your question, cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, atv's all use batteries and if they are 12 v they will work in each other to some degree or another. Because someone calls a battery a motorcycle battery or is used in a motorcycle doesn't mean it can't be used in a "Porsche or a "Ford". There is nothing special about a Porsche battery other than it's too big, too heavy and in a bad place in the car. You can save about 20 pounds and relocate the remaining weight to a reasonable spot and get a 10 year guarantee along with a battery that outperforms your anchor for about $100. Your choice.