Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

• Moderators

When we did the OBC and rear speaker retrofit on you car a few months ago your battery died. I told you or someone you needed another one.

I think everyone has raised battery prices. Somewhere on the internet someone claimed it is because the price of lead went up. No clue if that claim is true.

In the old days there was no core charge at Costco for your old battery. That started a few years ago.

Just an update.

The DieHard International battery is now $129.99 w/o core charge at Sears and is rated at 700 CCA at 41lbs.

The Duralast 48-DL is $69.99 w/o core charge at Autozone,rated at 700 CCA as well and weighs 37lbs.

What makes battery prices jump around so much

Had my battery go out over the weekend - it was the original one (in an 01 boxster). The price of the one from costco is now about $90 (core charge of $5), and the prices at AutoZone, Kragen etc. were about that or more. The person working at Costco told me that prices had gone up in the past couple of months. This Costco (Almaden Expy) had several batteries with sizes 47 and 48 (I got the 48).

This thread helped me quite a bit - so thanks all for your posts.

When we did the OBC and rear speaker retrofit on you car a few months ago your battery died. I told you or someone you needed another one.

I think everyone has raised battery prices. Somewhere on the internet someone claimed it is because the price of lead went up. No clue if that claim is true.

In the old days there was no core charge at Costco for your old battery. That started a few years ago.

Yup, you noted at that time that I was still on the original battery, and Cas did a test and thought that the battery wasn't doing too well :). I'm hoping that the alternator is not the culprit, as Cas thought that the charging system was not pushing out enough, while you thought it was doing OK. Guess I'll find out soon enough with the new battery :)

Old Battery :

post-21656-1196808505_thumb.jpg

New Battery :

post-21656-1196808543_thumb.jpg

Batteries at costco (47 and 48) :

post-21656-1196808569_thumb.jpg

Edited by vbhagwan

Third is interesting, on a 2003 Boxstir. Years ago if a battery was replaced under warranty Douglas was used. It is easy to tell because it is white.

That is what is in mine now, and I found out this morning it is too weak to start the car. So off to costco this morning... I'll be sure to bring the camera :D

• Moderators

Since the price of batteries has gone up recently I decided to check out Walmart, as suggested by Cosmos.

They have a group size 48 which they call 48-3 Everstart. 2 year free replacement warranty. 875 cranking amps. 700 cold cranking amps. Comes with the vent tube. Has the same specs as Autozone, same warranty, and looks identical, as it is also made by Johnson Controls. I did not see a 47 on the shelf.

Walmart also has an Everlast brand, and those batteries are yellow, but I did not see one that could be used on a Porsche.

$53.72 for the Walmart Everstart 48. Not including sales tax or any core charge. That is the best value out there in battery land. If you need one, better buy it before word gets around and Walmart raises the price. I paid $59.99 for the Autozone version of this battery almost 6 years ago.

post-4-1197139699_thumb.jpg

post-4-1197139721_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Group 48 Costco Roseville, CA was $53 plug $5 core plus tax. Had about 6 in stock.

That is so weird. I can understand $$ difference between Walmart and Costco, but this is a huge difference between two Costco stores, both of them in CA! (My group 48 battery, which I bought at a costco in San Jose less than a month ago, cost ~$90). Heck, even with the gas prices nowadays I might save some $ driving to the Roseville costco :)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the Duralast 48 at Autozone for my 03 Boxster. 700 CCA. Perfect fit. Rear vent. Maintenance free.$85 with trade. Works fine the last couple of days.

The Everstart 48-3 at my Walmarts today looks like the OE battery (six cells with circular cell covers, side vent tubes). 700 CCA. Not maintenance free. $70 with old battery.

I might add that it is not the maintenance free 48-3 type pictured in the post above for $53. It is the cell type--maybe the Interstate one. Funny, a week or so ago, they had a 48-3 there for $53. which I recall was the maintenance free type. But that's suddenly changed, and the price has increased to $70. ???

Edited by 986sport

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried an Excide group 48 battery? Any reviews?

The Johnson controls (interstate, autozone, etc) are very hard to find in Canada and downtown fine cars wants 300 for the Moll (installed) or $207 at parts counter.

Edited by SeanLepard

• Moderators

Not seen an Excide, but seen a few local cars with Exide batteries....

No personal experience but I can tell you the cars started. You will note that the vent tube is on the side.

My local Kragens sells Exide batteries. Next time I'm there with my camera I'll see if they have in stock a battery that would fit a Porsche.

post-4-1202223577_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the excellent info available in this thread I just replaced my Moll w/a 48-3 Everstart from WalMart for $64.96+tax/fee. They had several in Inverness, FL. The 8+ year old OE Moll has lived on a "Battery Tender" the 4 years I've owned this 2.7L/986/Tip, and is in fact still strong, comes up to full charge and load tests fine, ..but as it only comes out for day trips I prefer to skip the "fails 150 miles from home experience". The tip re:"settings keeper" much appreciated. $5.99 "NOCO" BTE296 at AutoZone w/9v incl. A 10min. swap. Fwiw, tho I reached around back for the freshest 48, dated 01/08, it took the "Tender" several hours to achieve a 'green' light. I finds pays to slow charge them before loading them the first time. Thanks again Tool Pants. Harley.

• 1 month later...

I could not resist posting. Forgive for bringing back an older thread.

Just picked up a 48 Kirkland battery from CostCo in NJ. It was an amazing $49.99!! It is maintenance free and comes with a 3 year warranty. It is like getting a free membership to CostCo.

I think we can all use a new Tool Pants picture.

Edited by OCNYPORSCHE

I bought one at Kragen over the weekend. The brand was Autolite I think. Warranty was only one year. Even after 25% off coupon it cost around $70.

Too bad they were the only place around me that opened at 8am on the weekend, and I had to drive my car that morning.

• Moderators

I was at a local Kragen a few days ago to pick up a serpentine belt. In fact, I went to 2 stores the same day as they are close to each other, looking for the belt.

The first store did not have a #47 or #48 on the shelf and did not have stickers on an empty shelf. So either this store does not stock this battery, or they are in the back. It is a very small store with not much shelf space. Did not ask, as I was hunting for my belt.

Went to the second store which is much larger. While I was waiting for the guy to find my belt, I looked around and the #47 and #48 were on the rack. Autolite brand as you said. Both had the same $89.99 price, and the same 84 month warranty.

Next time I will take pictures....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Well....I went back with the camera.

First pic is the #47. Second is the #48. Third is the vent which I turned up for the picture so you could see it. There is no vent kit/adapter in a separate plastic bag, as it is already attached to the battery.

post-4-1208500473_thumb.jpg

post-4-1208500512_thumb.jpg

post-4-1208500580_thumb.jpg

Well....I went back with the camera.

First pic is the #47. Second is the #48. Third is the vent which I turned up for the picture.

Jeff:

Keep those photos coming. I can't get enough of reading this thread! :cheers:

Regards, Maurice.

• 1 month later...

I'm in HI- Have 02 996 C2

Wanted to replace my stock 4 1/2 yr moll battery before it died. Costco has not had the correct size on shelf for many months at any store -(fitment code 10) & said they won't be getting any in.

Went to Sams looking for size 48 battery- they carry Interstate Batteries here - had both size 91- & 93 but only 18 month free replacement and no vent tubes included.

Went to Interstate distributor looking for size MTP 91 with 30 month free repl/84 mo warranty price was quoted $114 over phone for MTP 91 or 93- asked for discount and quoted $81 for 91.

Came away with Interstate MTP H7 which is exact size and look as stock Moll battery 12.4 long; 6.89 w; 7.48 H- got it for $112 by asking- normal price $162. Spent a bit more but its a perfect fit.

Edited by bgrpph

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
No battery pictures in 8 months.

Here is the Bosch offering, in a size 48, available at Pep Boys.

Note the nifty vents, which are available on either side, with the non-utilized side being plugged.

The fabric carrying strap has replaced the plastic strap that was on their previous iteration. The fabric strap can be pulled down over the side of the battery, just below the top surface and then it almost "disappears".

Good feature of this battery is a full replacement for the first 3 years, no questions asked, then pro-rated for a total of 96 months from date of purchase.

post-6627-1250914322_thumb.jpg post-6627-1250914368_thumb.jpg

post-6627-1250914402_thumb.jpg post-6627-1250914439_thumb.jpg

BTW, it looks an awful lot like the Autolite Size 48 battery posted by Tool Pants a few posts above, except for the Bosch stickers. Identical vent tubes, with one plugged, and identical fabric carrying strap.

The Autolite has only a 1 year full replacement and an 84 month Pro Rata replacement, versus the 3 year/96 month of the Bosch.

I wonder if the CCA and the Reserve Capacities are the same.

The current version of the Bosch is a few CCA and RC less (about 5) than the unit Bosch sold 5 years ago.

I can't get enough of this thread! :P

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

Can anyone tell me where I can get a battery for my 996? I assume the dealer will charge an outrageous price.

I just installed an Optima "red top" in my 2002 996 coupe; $170. Model 34 is the right size, but it's best if you get 34R, which reverses the post locations. Bought it at a local auto parts store. Had to replace one cable with a longer one, but that is very easy. Used a "universal" clamp (from same parts store). The Optima's length doesn't get you to one of the several threaded holes in the battery tray, but a big washer spanned across the distance and made it all work. This battery does a much better job than the "Porsche" battery that was in the car when I bought it.

Optimas used to not have the extended edges at the bottom that you need to fit into the battery tray, and to enable the clamp to have something to bit onto. Now they do.