Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Here is the Bosch offering, in a size 48, available at Pep Boys.

Regards, Maurice.

What was the price of the Bosch 48? I'm about to buy the Duralast at $89.99 plus $4 core. (Duh, so why don't I just call them?? $99.95.)

Edited by ltcjmramos

A few weeks ago, my local Porsche dealer had two afternoons where customers could spend quality time with the mechanics under their cars to do a complete check. Obviously the intent was to build goodwill, educate customers, and sell more work. My 20 minute session at the end of the day turned in to almost 2 hours each day because the head mechanic is a great guy.

On my wife's 2005 Carrera (it's a 997, but this is a battery thread), he asked if I ever checked the water level in the battery, to which I replied "I thought it was maintenance free". He laughed and essentially said that's what they want you to believe. He scraped off the decal on the top of the batter with his thumbnail, revealing 6 round fill holes just like on a non-maintenance free battery. This was the original OEM battery, over 4 years old, around 56K miles, and never maintained other than sometimes plugged in to the Porsche battery maintainer. We unscrewed each cover and found each compartment way down in terms of water. Given the age of the battery, we just used the 12 oz. drinking water bottles with the dealer's name on the label instead of leaving to find distilled water. The battery drank almost 6 of the 12 oz. water bottles before it's thirst was quenched and the water level was back above the battery plates where it should be.

Moral of the story - Porsche maintenance free batteries are only called that because they cover up the fill holes. I haven't had any problems with the battery, but I'm sure periodically checking and adding water will help them last longer

• 2 weeks later...

My car would not crank over after a 3 day hiatus from commuting so I installed a new battery in my 99 Boxster. I'm building an airplane and will shortly need a battery for it and thought I would get some experience with a lightweight Odyssey PC925MJT.

Expensive ~ $175 but small, and no venting. Called "Absorbed Glass Matt" or AGM

I bought a plastic cutting board in the kitchen supply department of Target, cut it to size and bolted the battery to the board using counter sunk machine screws from the underside and some bent up aluminum. The stock cables just reached but I might need to protect the positive lead where it is barely touching the metal battery tray.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc925mjt.htm

post-32107-1256615936_thumb.jpg post-32107-1256615996_thumb.jpg

post-32107-1256616527_thumb.jpg NOT a porsche.

post-32107-1256615908_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

This is another vote for an Interstate MTP-H7, which I just installed in my 2003 Boxster S. I've had the car for 5 years and the dead Porsche/Moll battery was 6+ years old based on the date code. Not bad for a Porsche OE battery, from what I've heard. Anyway, the MTP-H7 was an exact replacement (see photos). Vent tube, hold-down position, perfect fit. Kinda looks OE, too. About $200; self-installed.

post-6002-12707827442_thumb.jpg post-6002-127078272854_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I guess my time has come to play "Battery-Let's Make A Deal"

Costco, both stores, do not have Group 48, and will not get!

Autozone and Advance Auto Parts, seem to have the same battery and at the same price-$135.

Sears does not have.

On to the internet!

Sunset Porsche is having a sale on OEM batteries-$115 plus shipping. I just don't want.

Has anyone installed a Deka AGM battery? Remy sells them for $145 plus shipping.

I've also looked at the Rennline adapter for the Odyssey at $135, plus battery.

Any, and all, suggestions are appreciated.

• 3 months later...

I recently replaced a group 48 battery in my 2001 996 TT with an Odyssey PC1220. The PC1220 used the standard mounting hardware and did not require any adapters or modifications. The Odyssey website lists the PC1220 as having DIN terminals, but I ordered and got mine with SAE terminals so it appears to be available in either configuration. The PC1220 is a somewhat new model in the Odyssey line. It was announced in March 2010.

Downside is the price at about $250. I am hoping it will be reliable enough to offset more frequent replacements of conventional batteries. The heat in the low deserts of the American West is not kind to batteries.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Purchased a 94R from WalMart for $77.00 for my 2001 C4 Cab, direct replacement for the Porsche battery that was in the car. The price was half of Auto Zone and other auto part stores. The battery is made by Johnson Controls with the side vent, same as the Moll battery from Porsche. Three years full replacement, then 84 months prorated. How do you beat that?

:renntech:

Purchased a 94R from WalMart for $77.00 for my 2001 C4 Cab, direct replacement for the Porsche battery that was in the car. The price was half of Auto Zone and other auto part stores. The battery is made by Johnson Controls with the side vent, same as the Moll battery from Porsche. Three years full replacement, then 84 months prorated. How do you beat that?

I just picked up the same battery for my 996.

Is there a step-by-step DIY for the battery replacement? Just want to make sure that I have everything in order.

Is there a step-by-step DIY for the battery replacement? Just want to make sure that I have everything in order.

Ryan:

There are two methods: one that maintains power while you replace the battery (if you have the proper type of battery maintainer) and the other that doesn't .

They are both covered on Mike Focke's website, here: http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/batteries

Regards, Maurice.

Ryan:

There are two methods: one that maintains power while you replace the battery (if you have the proper type of battery maintainer) and the other that doesn't .

They are both covered on Mike Focke's website, here: http://sites.google....ocke2/batteries

Regards, Maurice.

I put in the new battery. Connected the vent. Then started the car.

BUT

The battery that I took out was a size 41-75 and 650 CCA. This new battery is a different size. When I go to secure the battery to the tray, I need to use the farthest hole. The problem is that the hole is too large and does not have any threads for the bolt that was being used previously.

Can anyone help me with the size bolt that should be used so I can pick one up at Sears?

Was the "old" battery the wrong size? I did notice that the car started much easier with the new battery.

Edited by ryangambrill

• Moderators

You have the wrong size battery, the OEM is a group 48 (12 1/2L X 6 7/8W X 7 9/16H), you have a group 49 (15L X 6 7/8W X 7 9/16H). The extra 2 1/2 inches in length is your problem.........

Edited by JFP in PA

• 8 months later...

Sams club, $106 94R CCA 750A identical replacement for the Porsche, 3 year full replacement, 5 year prorated

That warranty is just about the same as that of the Bosch.. 3 years full and 6 years pro-rated...When it's on sale, it's less than $95 at Pep Boys..

Regards Maurice.

• 1 month later...

Question on vents.

My 2nd Moll died (relays clicking, no start if longer than an hour since the charger was removed).

My radio was turning on and off, the rear spoiler went up and the trip meter reset itself to zero!

Got a new Interstate MTP-91 and proceeded to make the swap. Couldn't find the round vent hole in

the new battery but did notice the oval center rear "thingy" exactly like all of the other Johnson controls

manufacturered variants pictured in this thread.

Until I read this here, I only suspected that it was the vent and that some kind of adapter connection

was M.I.A. Good assumption and since I bought it from the parts department in the Chevy-Toyota store

where I work I will be asking them tommorrow morning about the missing vent adapter package. I'm

sure our Interstate guy will produce one immediately.

My question is, when I noticed the oval fitting I didn't look into it with a light but I did poke a pocket

screwdriver into the oval hole - it hit soild. Is there just a small pinhole in there that is the actual vent

(and is it open now?) or is there some sort of knockout plug that I have to open?

Thanks,

John

• 1 year later...

I thought I posted this question already once but I don't see it anywhere. Maybe I forgot to hit the "submit button." Anyway, the question is, does anyone know the CCA rating on a factory Porsche 996 battery for a 2002 911 Targa. I think the part number is P909511. Thanks.

• Admin

I thought I posted this question already once but I don't see it anywhere. Maybe I forgot to hit the "submit button." Anyway, the question is, does anyone know the CCA rating on a factory Porsche 996 battery for a 2002 911 Targa. I think the part number is P909511. Thanks.

You posted it 3 times before and I removed all your duplicate posts. Please re-read the board rules that you agreed to here when you registered. "Please post your messages in one forum only. Crossposting, double posting, triple posting, etc. are all a waste of time and valuable resources. If you post the same message in multiple times or in multiple forums, we will delete the ones we feel are inappropriate."

If you take the time to go through this thread you WILL find your answer.

Hi Loren, actually I did read through the Battery thread before I made the first post. (It is quite simple to do, search on CCA in the thread.) Perhaps you should take the time to read through the thread, too. Nowhere in it does anyone state the CCA of the factory battery. (There are references to replacement battery CCA ratings for other manufacturers than Porsche.) Since my question wasn't answered there, and since the thread had not been posted to in years, I started a new thread after reaching the reasonable conclusion that the thread is dormant. Nothing in the forum rules prohibits that. I only posted it a second time, in the Battery thread, when you asked me to. Then when I complied, you deleted it! Ha ha, Catch 22 if there ever was one. Well done. You got me. I bet you block when faster guys come up to lap you too. But the question is this, what is the CCA of a factory Porsche battery for a 2002 911 Targa? Do you know the answer to that? If you don't (and it is not 70-80 AH as you suggested), then how about letting the community here actually read my posts so if some other folks know they can help me out. Does that sound like a plan?

• Admin

Hi Loren, actually I did read through the Battery thread before I made the first post. (It is quite simple to do, search on CCA in the thread.) Perhaps you should take the time to read through the thread, too. Nowhere in it does anyone state the CCA of the factory battery. (There are references to replacement battery CCA ratings for other manufacturers than Porsche.) Since my question wasn't answered there, and since the thread had not been posted to in years, I started a new thread after reaching the reasonable conclusion that the thread is dormant. Nothing in the forum rules prohibits that. I only posted it a second time, in the Battery thread, when you asked me to. Then when I complied, you deleted it! Ha ha, Catch 22 if there ever was one. Well done. You got me. I bet you block when faster guys come up to lap you too. But the question is this, what is the CCA of a factory Porsche battery for a 2002 911 Targa? Do you know the answer to that? If you don't (and it is not 70-80 AH as you suggested), then how about letting the community here actually read my posts so if some other folks know they can help me out. Does that sound like a plan?

Porsche does not make batteries they only spec them for other vendors. I answered your CCA question in your other thread (with the only "spec" Porsche gives) (http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/43877-question-about-factory-battery-cca/?p=235880). CCA ratings are up to the battery manufacturers.

I removed 3 of your duplicate messages AFTER I answered your original post. You really need to read the site Guidelines/Rules. Please try not to be a jerk or you will not be here long.