Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anyone ever open up the faceplate to a 996 radio?

The LCD backlight on my CR-220 died, (I can still read everything in direct sunlight, and everything works) I assume it's the bulbs, but could be the dropping resistor. The faceplate LOOKS easy to open, but before I delve in there, I figured it was worth asking on the board if anyone has ever replaced the backlight. For a few bucks, it's worth repairing, but I sure would never pay the $70 that is being asked on ebay for a face plate. I have a CDR-220 to use in the meantime, so no big rush at all, but I like to use cassettes at times. TIA.

The LCD backlight on my CR-220 died, (I can still read everything in direct sunlight, and everything works) I assume it's the bulbs, but could be the dropping resistor. The faceplate LOOKS easy to open, but before I delve in there, I figured it was worth asking on the board if anyone has ever replaced the backlight. For a few bucks, it's worth repairing, but I sure would never pay the $70 that is being asked on ebay for a face plate. I have a CDR-220 to use in the meantime, so no big rush at all, but I like to use cassettes at times. TIA.

I would check with SW Stereo (www.swstereo.com) and see how much they want to fix it, or if they can give you some DIY tips.

I Would clean the contacts on the dispay facepate and see if that "rejuvenates" the back-lite ?? Beyond tha tyou could try and reach Becker and see if they offer a repair service that is cost effective. Good Luck!! :cheers:

Demosan

Well, I opened it up and there are no bulbs, it is LED lighting, 3 banks of 20, plus 1 in each corner, +2 where the alarm "set" red led is. The flashing red is still there, it's just the white ones (the yellow color is a film over the LCD display). So sinc eit's impossible for 65 leds to burn out, it has to be a dropping resistor on the supply circuit, or what appears to be a fuse labeled "4.19". I'll have to take my meter to is and see if has any value. If it's open, then I'll have to open up my working CDR-220, and see if it has a matching component and measure it.

Actually, that was still very helpful. I hadn't thought to maximize the pressureon the zebra connector by putting the lower tabs in tight first. Good advice. I don't suppose you still have the extra funky faceplate you want to sell cheap? As long as it lights up, I can build one good one around those two, same way. All my buttons are in great shape.

• 7 months later...

Actually, that was still very helpful. I hadn't thought to maximize the pressureon the zebra connector by putting the lower tabs in tight first. Good advice. I don't suppose you still have the extra funky faceplate you want to sell cheap? As long as it lights up, I can build one good one around those two, same way. All my buttons are in great shape.

Did you ever get your backlight fixed? I have the same problem. While the DIY is helpful, since they are LED backlights I'm looking for info on what was the root cause.