Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

'84 911 Targa Oil Leak

Skip

Hi,

Just new to this forum and to Porsche ownership. I have a 1984 911 Targa and love it already, just working through kinks slowly and deliberately. There are a couple of oil drips on the rear right side. After placing the car on ramps, it appears that the leaks are coming from directly above the 'S' hose. Specifically from either end of what looks like a hyraulic hose with metal connectors on either end. Is this easy to fix on my own? I expect I have to drain oil first, but not sure what kind of hose seals I may need in order to reassemble.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

no need to drain the oil, the right side is the harder side as you have the A/C compressor to deal with

one end of the hose is a banjo fitting, use new crush rings

the other and is a nut and Ferrel set up

the important thing is to counter hold the sending unit block so it doesn't loosen up

then you will need to replace those crush washers also

I think I understand, although I don't have the A/C Compressor, but I think I see what you mean concerning keeping a counter hold. If this is part of the oil system though, how come the oil won't ooze out when I disconnect the hose - is it not under pressure, or does it only fill with oil when the engine is running?

no need to drain the oil, the right side is the harder side as you have the A/C compressor to deal with

one end of the hose is a banjo fitting, use new crush rings

the other and is a nut and Ferrel set up

the important thing is to counter hold the sending unit block so it doesn't loosen up

then you will need to replace those crush washers also

Are you looking from under the vehicle? The big "S" shaped hose attached with hose clamps goes from the oil cooler tank to the engine. The other hose on that side-attached with compression type fitting/nuts- is also a source of leaks. You should really pressure wash the area and recheck for leaks. There are many sources for these engines to leak that are much more common then the oil lines.

I guess we need to verify what hose

and also need to clean engine and verify where oil is coming from

air cooled motors have a lot of place to leak from

there is an oil pressure switch at the top middle that will run down

the is an old bulletin about a case leak that the oil cooler has to come off

I have attached a picture of the S hose and the left side cam hose, sorry couldn't

find a picture of the right side

says pic too big will try again

S_HOSE.pdf

In the first picture (page 170-8 from what I believe is the Bentley Repair Manual), that is the S-hose I'm referring to. If you look to it's immediate right in the picture, that's the hose that's leaking at both connections from what I can see, but I think the recommendations to clean the engine to determine if that is the actual source, is probably the best bet, to ensure I'm not wasting unnecessary effort in replacing parts. Might try to take a picture of the specific part of the car if I can get a good shot and then post it.

trying cam hose again

Am enclosing three pictures which show the specific hose with the leak that I currently see as well as reference pics to where it's situated.

In the first picture (page 170-8 from what I believe is the Bentley Repair Manual), that is the S-hose I'm referring to. If you look to it's immediate right in the picture, that's the hose that's leaking at both connections from what I can see, but I think the recommendations to clean the engine to determine if that is the actual source, is probably the best bet, to ensure I'm not wasting unnecessary effort in replacing parts. Might try to take a picture of the specific part of the car if I can get a good shot and then post it.

trying cam hose again

post-49895-1256167288_thumb.jpg

post-49895-1256167294_thumb.jpg

post-49895-1256167305_thumb.jpg