Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

emergency trunk release cable 2006 997 c2

The easy way is to unlock the door, add power thru

the cigarette lighter and use the door switch.

Paul

can't open the door. I unlocked the door and opened the trunk at the same time,using key fob. did not open the door. placed bag in trunk, not knowing my keys were in my hat that i set on top of my bag. automatic feature will relock door if not opened within 60sec. power is not the issue. my stupidity is another issue. i was wondering if a cable or release is present. i don't see one in the manual.

You need to remove the plastic wheel well to get

to the latch. The 996 site has alot about this. I have

included a link.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...ch+hood+release

Good luck and hope you get it open.

Paul

I peered inside the wheel well of my '05, and though I couldn't see anything through the louvres in the plastic liner using a flashlight, I saw the 3 or 4 big screws that hold it in place. Perhaps removing the liner as PAULSPEED suggests will reveal this mysterious emergency cable release. Please let us know of your progress, because none of us are above doing dumb things like locking keys in the trunk! Good luck.

You need to remove the plastic wheel well to get

to the latch. The 996 site has alot about this. I have

included a link.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...ch+hood+release

Good luck and hope you get it open.

Paul

I peered inside the wheel well of my '05, and though I couldn't see anything through the louvres in the plastic liner using a flashlight, I saw the 3 or 4 big screws that hold it in place. Perhaps removing the liner as PAULSPEED suggests will reveal this mysterious emergency cable release. Please let us know of your progress, because none of us are above doing dumb things like locking keys in the trunk! Good luck.

Try behind the tow hook cover in the front bumber. The release cable it often visible/accessable once the cover has been removed. Cover pops off. Cover the blade of a screw driver and use it to pry off the cover

I don't beleive there is an emergency release cable on the 997. I've searched this forum and the web and looked on both sides, driver and passenger, of my 05 C2S and didn't see it. Unless Loren can post some diagrams of the 997 front, otherwise I believe there is none. The only option for you Tom is to go to the dealership and give them your VIN and proof of ownership and they'll make you a key for $50-$100.

• Admin
I don't beleive there is an emergency release cable on the 997. I've searched this forum and the web and looked on both sides, driver and passenger, of my 05 C2S and didn't see it. Unless Loren can post some diagrams of the 997 front, otherwise I believe there is none. The only option for you Tom is to go to the dealership and give them your VIN and proof of ownership and they'll make you a key for $50-$100.

post-1-1256524292_thumb.png

I rest my case...

post-1-1256524292_thumb.png

I rest my case...

Thanks for the diagram Loren. also thanks for the other replies. had a tow 90 miles to home where spare key is located. judging from my history of stupidity and repeating, i need to locate it before my wife gives me back my keys. it's not easy getting old. thanks again, Tom

Thanks for the diagram Loren. also thanks for the other replies. had a tow 90 miles to home where spare key is located. judging from my history of stupidity and repeating, i need to locate it before my wife gives me back my keys. it's not easy getting old. thanks again, Tom

You might try ordering a pocket key. It's a skinny plastic thing that'll fit in your wallet. They cost an arm-and-a-leg at a dealer though (mine was $235 for the key, cutting it, and programming it!), but maybe Sunset Imports can give you a considerably better deal.

I opened my trunk and pulled the carpet by the trunk release mechanism and then I saw the metal twisted wire clearly visible and going to the driver side body of the car. The reason I couldn't see the metal wire from under the wheel well was because the metal wire was real close to the body and wasn't hanging and it didn't have the loop. The metal wire had a metal head just like they have in the bicycle metal brake wires. Anyway, the wire is located on the right of driver side headlight and you have to remove the wheel well top and bottom plastic to get to it. I think every 997 owner should look at the location of the wire from inside the trunk under the carpet first before their battery dies or they forget the keys in the trunk.

I'll try to upload a picture of it tonight.

:renntech:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I had the same issue with my 2007 997 C4S. A closed trunk + dead battery = nightmare. The car was towed to RPMnorth here in Long Island, and the guys there knew exactly what to do since they are quite familiar with Porsches and the other European cars. They took the left (driver's side) front wheel off and the plastic covers from under the wheel well to expose the emergency trunk release cable. If you don't know exactly what to look for and have an untrained eye, you would never find it...or have an extremely difficult time locating it. Here are the pics.

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1772.jpg

since the car is here, i might as well look into some mods. I just found out they have an extensive selection of performance parts for European cars on their online store www.rpmnorth.com... check em out!

Edited by Stay Tuned...

• 2 years later...

Got stuck again. I accidentally left the key in the ignition and ofcourse couple of days later, the battery is dead.

Well just like in the past, I was able to get the key out using the red fuse in the fuse box with the hood picture on it but the button on the key FOB isn't working this time?

I even changed the battery in the Key but still no luck?

So what are my options at this time?

Can I open the hood directly via that fuse in the fuse box rather then using the key?

Gotta do something about this stupid dead battery thing though?

Thanks

Edited by quick

I had the same issue with my 2007 997 C4S. A closed trunk + dead battery = nightmare. The car was towed to RPMnorth here in Long Island, and the guys there knew exactly what to do since they are quite familiar with Porsches and the other European cars. They took the left (driver's side) front wheel off and the plastic covers from under the wheel well to expose the emergency trunk release cable. If you don't know exactly what to look for and have an untrained eye, you would never find it...or have an extremely difficult time locating it. Here are the pics.IMG_1774.jpgIMG_1773.jpgIMG_1772.jpgsince the car is here, i might as well look into some mods. I just found out they have an extensive selection of performance parts for European cars on their online store www.rpmnorth.com... check em out!

My 997.1 TT has a plastic shield right below the cable in the picture above and instead of the looping cable in the picture ^, there's a yellow wire/cable (?) sticking out, is that it?

Thanks

post-70495-0-90290200-1362881413_thumb.j

Edited by quick

• 2 weeks later...

Got stuck again. I accidentally left the key in the ignition and ofcourse couple of days later, the battery is dead.

Well just like in the past, I was able to get the key out using the red fuse in the fuse box with the hood picture on it but the button on the key FOB isn't working this time?

I even changed the battery in the Key but still no luck?

So what are my options at this time?

Can I open the hood directly via that fuse in the fuse box rather then using the key?

Gotta do something about this stupid dead battery thing though?

Thanks

If you can get to the jump lug, am assuming that's what you mean by "red fuse ", all you need to do is attach a 12 volt battery and pull the front hood switch in the door sill. Then you need to find your owners manual as it is filled with useful information about your car. Then remove your dead battery, disconnecting the negative terminal first, and take it to Autozone, or nearest equivilent, and have them check it out to see if it will hold a charge. Might also want to invest in a CTek battery maintainer while you're at it. Remembering to use it will eliminate future dead battery issues even if you leave the key in the car again.

Edited by dphatch

• 6 months later...

I am having the same issue. Dead battery. I have tried the accessory battery connected to the fuse box, but that did not work for me -- not sure what's going on. Unable to charge the battery through the cigarette lighter.

I finally found this post with photo -- I removed the wheel well panel and found the magic emergency pull cord. I thought I was in, however, upon pulling the wire, I got nothing!!!

My question:

Has anyone actually used this emergency cord? How far does one have to pull it out for the trunk to pop open?

I pulled around 6 inches before I became scared that I would damage it. I got nothing. I had my son push down gently on the lid at the latch site as I pulled, but did not make a difference.

Can anyone advise on this? This is very frustrating.

Thanks in advance.

ehostin

We split the case last night, found the #6 connection rod looking like a S, but not broken. Still need to check further as to what could of caused this failure.

Hi ehostin,

There is absolutely no reason to pull your wheel well apart. Go back to your fuse box and pull out the red trunk lid lug. It will pull out almost an inch exposing a copper contact. Using any high current 12 VDC source like a 12 volt motorcycle battery or the battery in another car, hook the negative post to any ground on the car. The metal door stop between the door hinges is handy. Hook the positive terminal to the red lug and give the trunk release switch a pull. BINGO. You can use any jumper cable.

Get a new battery for your car. Once you deep cycle them like this they are junk.

Edited by Mijostyn
  • Like 1