Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cost to change to M/F Sterring Wheel? & Rear parking Sensor?

Its 2009 4S PDK but hasent got the Multi Function steering wheel, I was wondering before I call the dealer if this can be done a Multi Function Steering Wheel installed and how much work is involved and what is the approx cost or has anyone done this?

And the same with rear parking sensor's what would it cost to get them installed?

It all comes down to whether your present options have the wiring already needed for the option - if not, it will be real expensive and some dealers won't do it.

Ask your dealer for a quote - and make sure you are sitting down when you read it. ;)

I know someone who has had a MF wheel installed on a 997.1 Turbo. The job was not a straightforward retrofit, it required improvisation on the electrics and was done by an independent workshop. The technician who did it told me it was difficult.

I don't think OPC would do it if it's not in the book and the car under warranty.

• 3 weeks later...

The new gen 2 cars have a different wheel for Multi function controls compared to those without. On the earlier car (997 gen 1) the wheels were identical , save the switch plates which were blank on the standard car and had controls for the multi function option. The retro fit will require a new wheel with additional electronics to allow the multi function buttons to operate , and then require recoding by porsche using the workshop tool. Unfortunately you canot just buy the parts and convert your existing wheel. Expect about 2000 usd for the wheel conversion. The issue with the 997 gen 1 turbo was that the owner wanted to fit the MF controls , which were only made for triangular airbag wheels to a round sport wheel, and the switch plate profiles are different.

I retro fitted the MF wheel to my gen 1 987 boxster which uses the same parts and controls as the gen 1 997. In the gen 1 997/ 987 the same electronics module is used for the MF wheel controls as the tiptronic controls , so if you have tiptronic all you need is the new switch plates and some coding to have the facility. On a gen 2 car it may be the same situation, ie if you have PDK you may already have the module to accept the MF control wiring. I suggest if you need to buy a new wheel for the controls it will come equipped with the necessary modules ready to be coded into your existing car. Best to check the parts catalogue first to see if the steering wheel switch plates can be ordered separately on the gen 2 or if a complete wheel is required. Use the option code notation next to the part to identify what other specific modules are required for this option. This is what I did when I investigated the option on my own car.

Edited by berty987

• 3 weeks later...

It is actually fairly easy and straight forward for a 2009 with PDK. Go to 6speedonline dot com and do a quick search. Quite a number of members have done the upgrade and just gotten the dealer to activate the new MF wheel. Unfortunately it is a bit more tedious if you have a manual.