Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PCM 2.1 How do you Install The Updates and Maps

Hi All,

I have just purchased from my local Porsche Main Dealer the latest Maps and Update Cds for my Boxter s 2006 reg.

The box came with 3 CDs and 1 DVD as below:-

CD 1 - PCM 2.1 Multimedia Update CD 1 - 08.2009 - number 000 043 205 46 002

CD 2 - PCM 2.1 Multimedia Update CD 2 - 08.2009 - number 000 043 205 46 003

CD 3 - PCM 2.1 Multimedia Update CD Navigation - 08.2009 - number 000 044 901 40

DVD 1 - PCM 2.1 DVD Navigation Europe 08.2009 - number 997 044 902 50 / 955 044 903 60 T1000-15720

Current versions installed are SW Version 3.2

PCM

Target: 05024CD1 / 3905

Actual: 05024CD1 / 3905

Entered: Yes

Found: Yes

System Software

Target: 04514BD1 / 5104

Actual: 04514BD1 / 5104

CD Changer

Target: C38 / 3003

Actual: C38 / 3003

Navigation System

Target: /

Actual: 00174436/ 2906

Can anybody please tell me what i need to do to complete the update so i can use the lastest DVD.

Many thanks

Rob

Edited by Loren
Removed very large fonts

I am glad we have this thread.

I asked the same question from RUSNAK Porsche in Pasadena CA. My 2005 Cayenne is also running the PCM 2.1

The parts guy said they do NOT need to plug the car into the Factory Diagnostics Computer, what he said is the techs do it in the parking lot putting the three disks in one at a time.

The parts guy said that it is easy to do and that I could probably do it myself. HOWEVER

When I asked for the TSB that covered how to this he gave me some excuse why he didn't have it.

The TSB does exist in the Contributing Members Portion of the Forum.

I hope someone has actually done it and can guide us chickens how to do it.

Edited by RG Najarian

Hi All

In the end after speaking to my MPD they provided the full instructions for me. All I had to do was install CD 3 - PCM 2.1 Multimedia Update CD Navigation - 08.2009 - number 000 044 901 40 as I was already at level B for PCM2.1.

I have the instructions if anybody else wants to do this. Now I have the laets 2009 maps with TMC!!!

• 3 months later...

Hi All

In the end after speaking to my MPD they provided the full instructions for me. All I had to do was install CD 3 - PCM 2.1 Multimedia Update CD Navigation - 08.2009 - number 000 044 901 40 as I was already at level B for PCM2.1.

I have the instructions if anybody else wants to do this. Now I have the laets 2009 maps with TMC!!!

I'm very surprised that you have a 08 2009 Europe update as my OPC has said that 08 2008 was the lastest DVD update. Could you please send instructions and perhaps share the update.

Talk to your Porsche delaer again or contact the main headquarters (Reading in the UK). Others have already bought this DVD through the dealer network , so its confirmed it exists. Regarding the update, don't attempt to do it yourself unless you have read and fully understood the tech bulletin beforehand. Normally the dealer will install the discs for you as a courtesy after paying 350 pounds for them. The dealer will install the discs using the porsche workshop computer, but it is possible to install them directly using the CD and DVD drives in the car. Which discs are required for the update will be specific to each vehicle as it depends on the navigation DVD drive firmware already loaded in the car and the firmware versions in the PCM. If you don't understand how to translate the software numbers or access the menu to display your current software , then you can get in a real muddle and if not careful end up turning the DVD or PCM into a paperweight. Porsche have no facility to repair PCM or DVD units so will charge the full going rate for an exchange unit (about 1500-2000 Uk pounds). There are also specific issues for cars fitted with the BOSE amplifier , again you need to understand the current amp software to determine which updates are required, some vehicles will require software not supplied with the map to allow the update discs to work. Whatever you do dont rely on torrent software of backup discs that you are not sure of the origin to update or run in the PCM/ NAV DVD.

Talk to your Porsche delaer again or contact the main headquarters (Reading in the UK). Others have already bought this DVD through the dealer network , so its confirmed it exists. Regarding the update, don't attempt to do it yourself unless you have read and fully understood the tech bulletin beforehand. Normally the dealer will install the discs for you as a courtesy after paying 350 pounds for them. The dealer will install the discs using the porsche workshop computer, but it is possible to install them directly using the CD and DVD drives in the car. Which discs are required for the update will be specific to each vehicle as it depends on the navigation DVD drive firmware already loaded in the car and the firmware versions in the PCM. If you don't understand how to translate the software numbers or access the menu to display your current software , then you can get in a real muddle and if not careful end up turning the DVD or PCM into a paperweight. Porsche have no facility to repair PCM or DVD units so will charge the full going rate for an exchange unit (about 1500-2000 Uk pounds). There are also specific issues for cars fitted with the BOSE amplifier , again you need to understand the current amp software to determine which updates are required, some vehicles will require software not supplied with the map to allow the update discs to work. Whatever you do dont rely on torrent software of backup discs that you are not sure of the origin to update or run in the PCM/ NAV DVD.

Thanks berty987 for the advice. I have forwarded the CD/DVD part numbers to my OPC to confirm. It'll be interesting to see how they get around this one. Does anyone know if there is £350 worth of updated information for the UK from the 08-2007 version?

You have to remember this is a pan European map update , not just for the UK. The update includes greater mapping for those countries recently added (eastern Europe) as well as updates to road layout changes in the existing well mapped areas such as the UK, France and Germany. Value for money wise it depends on how much you travel overseas and really use the mapping software or rely on the PCM in everyday driving. There are no new special features as a result of buying the 2009 over the 2007 map DVD, its just like buying a new road atlas.

• 5 months later...

Hi All

Hi All

Yes. Please provide the installation instructions for the PCM 2.1 update disks.

Thank you

Hello, I'm new to this topic

but you can have your answer in the TSB in the DIY menu (TSB 32/07)

Try this link

http://www.renntech....ownload&id=1370

BTW I'm looking for the complete kit for my Boxster 2005... after the installation, if you want to sell your copy, I will buy it.

• Admin

Yes. Please provide the installation instructions for the PCM 2.1 update disks.

Thank you

Hello, I'm new to this topic

but you can have your answer in the TSB in the DIY menu (TSB 32/07)

Try this link

http://www.renntech....ownload&id=1370

BTW I'm looking for the complete kit for my Boxster 2005... after the installation, if you want to sell your copy, I will buy it.

Only Contributing Members can read TSBs here.

• 3 months later...

I hope it is ok I "open up" this thread again.

I have a Boxster S 987 (2006) and following readings in my PCM:

PCM

System Software

Navigation System

Actual: 00174412 / 4804

Do I need an firmware update to run the, PCM 2.1 DVD Navigation Europe 08.2009 - number 997 044 902 50 / 955 044 903 60 T1000-15720 ?

Or do I also need to run the, CD 3 - PCM 2.1 Multimedia Update CD Navigation - 08.2009 - number 000 044 901 40 ? (What features includes in this cd, needed?)

Many thanks!

post-64010-0-25885400-1291060770_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

PCM

System Software

Navigation System

Do I need an firmware update to run the, PCM 2.1 DVD Navigation Europe 08.2009 - number 997 044 902 50 / 955 044 903 60 T1000-15720 ?

Or do I also need to run the, CD 3 - PCM 2.1 Multimedia Update CD Navigation - 08.2009 - number 000 044 901 40 ? (What features includes in this cd, needed?)

Looks like you are level B - PCM Version 05024xxx. You will need to run both the PCM update disk and then the DVD update disk in the NAV unit.

Many thanks!

Edited by Dawg
  • Upvote 1

PCM

System Software

Navigation System

Many thanks!

Your PCM is already at level 3.2 so all you need is a new update map DVD and the multimedia update CD for the navigation drive. As you are already using a 2005 map you should have TMC operating currently , if its available in your country. It only works in Europe though , not the USA. The update makes a few changes to the ability of map zoom (ie scale available) and more points of interest etc, but little else.

Edited by berty987