Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Odd No Crank

Greetings,

As preventive maintenance I replaced the clutch micro switch on my '98 in June and tried to replace the electrical portion of the ignition switch at the same time. I had an incorrect part for the ignition switch so held off until recently when I started experiencing a no crank situation the first 3 or 4 times turning the key, then after another try the car would crank and start. I sourced the correct ignition switch and had it replaced, but the problem still exists.

Let's assume that it is not the clutch micro switch or the ignition switch, could it be a starter relay, or perhaps a bad solenoid or starter? I hear no noise at all when turning the key, no clicking etc. The battery is fully charged.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Sure it could be a relay. Theres one or ttwo in the trunk relay tray. I'd start at the scource first and work your way backwards following the wireing diagram. Jump the starter directly, that is, run jumper cables from a (your) battery to a ground on ther block and hit the terminal on the starter with the hot lead and see if it crancks. Next the relays, , take it (them) out and smack it on the drive a few times, see what that does. Then follow the relawiring harnass back and at evert plug/connector and work them around to insure a good connection.

An easier way might be to have someone hold the key in start positionand go around to every place on the wire diagram that has some sort of conack and give it a fre smacks or jiggles, se if on routinly responds. Also, don't asume the clutch micro is ducky, just jump the to wires together and eliminate any ambiguety.

Have fun, PK