Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi all, my 2000 996's airbag light has come on (with a littel over 50K on the odometer) and I am unable to reset it with my OBD II diagnostic scanner. Is this an item that must be reset at the dealer or will disconnecting the battery do the trick? There does not appear to be anything wrong with the aibag but I could be wrong.

You suggestions will be appreciated!

Edited by gcp

There has been a TSB issued for seat belt buckle update and also a update to a newer version air bag control module. Some people have had luck in cleaning the electrical connectors for the buckles with contact cleaner but it has never worked in the long run for myself.

My OBD2 was not cheap. Cost me close to $250 if I remember correctly and it's laptop based. But it won't recognize this fault and won't zero the airbag so obviously the Durametric is a better product. Hate to spend more money after bad money but that's life I guess. Wonder what a dealer would charge to check/zero. Could be my driver's belt buckle, been acting up lately...Thank you for the info gentlemen!

I bought my Durametric 3 or 4 years ago when they first started selling them I think I paid either $159 or $179, I would have to look it up, BUT WHAT A DEAL!!! Glad I went for it back then. I have continuosly updated the software, the updates are free and they have been great with support. They did just release a Beta version of new software, and the website says it won't work with the old style cable like I have. New cables will be $150. I will have to wait and see what the functional differences are.

I know between my car and my buddies car, it has paid for itself many times over. The local dealer won't even hook up their device for less than an hours labor, even if it is a 5 minute fix.

If your in the Los Angeles area swing by and I'll clear it for you...FREE.

Can't beat free!

But, like Loren says, first read and record the fault code so that you can correct the possible cause and insure it will not return anytime soon.

It's usually related to one of the seat belt buckle contacts, but it can also be caused by the contacts to/from the clock spring assembly under the steering wheel. Regardless, the code will narrow it down for you.

Good luck, and keep us posted with the fix.

Regards, Maurice.

Hi all, my 2000 996's airbag light has come on (with a littel over 50K on the odometer) and I am unable to reset it with my OBD II diagnostic scanner. Is this an item that must be reset at the dealer or will disconnecting the battery do the trick? There does not appear to be anything wrong with the aibag but I could be wrong.

I had that light earlier this year - was fixed by previous owner at the dealer by replacing seat belt buckle drivers side.

Over the weekend I got the airbag failure light again - could be passenger side?

What was your fix?

• Admin

I had that light earlier this year - was fixed by previous owner at the dealer by replacing seat belt buckle drivers side.

Over the weekend I got the airbag failure light again - could be passenger side?

What was your fix?

You need to read the faults code(s) to see what is reporting the fault. Everything else is just a guess.

Thank you all very much for your inputs and thank you for the offer to zero win911 but a ride from Bama to LA and back would be kinda longish just to clear this code...on second thought it may be a good enough reason to take a cross counry drive in a most enjoyable vehicle ;)

Have not repaired yet, simply have not had the time to take it in to the dealer but I will. It'll probably end up being the driver's side seat belt buckle.

Edited by gcp

Thank you all very much for your inputs and thank you for the offer to zero win911 but a ride from Bama to LA and back would be kinda longish just to clear this code...on second thought it may be a good enough reason to take a cross counry drive in a most enjoyable vehicle ;)

Have not repaired yet, simply have not had the time to take it in to the dealer but I will. It'll probably end up being the driver's side seat belt buckle.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=30197