Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Serpentine Belt Pulley rebuild

When I first bought my 1997 Boxster, I trailered it home and took it for a ride to my kids school. One of the serpentine belt pulleys locked up and it threw the belt off.

I loaded it back on the trailer and brought it home. I took off the pulley and replaced the bearing as I am cheap. Now that my engine is out of the car I replaced the other 2 and snapped some pictures. The bearings cost me about $8.00 each (I buy quite a few bearings each month for my company) It is really easy to do if you have a vice to use as a press. The bearing I used was a 6203 NSE Nachi.

post-31855-1259370999_thumb.jpg

When I first bought my 1997 Boxster, I trailered it home and took it for a ride to my kids school. One of the serpentine belt pulleys locked up and it threw the belt off.

I loaded it back on the trailer and brought it home. I took off the pulley and replaced the bearing as I am cheap. Now that my engine is out of the car I replaced the other 2 and snapped some pictures. The bearings cost me about $8.00 each (I buy quite a few bearings each month for my company) It is really easy to do if you have a vice to use as a press. The bearing I used was a 6203 NSE Nachi.

post-31855-1259371183_thumb.jpg

post-31855-1259371234_thumb.jpg

post-31855-1259371292_thumb.jpg

post-31855-1259371340_thumb.jpg

post-31855-1259371393_thumb.jpg

post-31855-1259371444_thumb.jpg

post-31855-1259371499_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome and great job.

Now if you could id alternates to the sealed bearings used in the transmission that would be a huge savings. Porshe wants $365 for one and $265 for another. It adds up pretty quick to nearly $1K in bearings when you go to rebuild the trans in either the Boxster, BoxsterS or 996.

Awesome and great job.

Now if you could id alternates to the sealed bearings used in the transmission that would be a huge savings. Porshe wants $365 for one and $265 for another. It adds up pretty quick to nearly $1K in bearings when you go to rebuild the trans in either the Boxster, BoxsterS or 996.

I am relatively sure that Porsche does not make any bearings but uses "off the shelf" for most applications... Virtually any bearing is available if you know the type (single row, double row, angular contact, cone etc) and the dimensions...most often at reduced cost...