Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Procedure For Valve Cover Sealant Renewal

Here are some part numbers for anyone needing to renew the sealant on their valve covers:

999.707.215.40 - Red o-ring on tube (larger o-ring) 

999.707.343.40 - Green o-ring on the tube (smaller o-ring)

996.104.215.54 - Cylinder head cup seal (green caps on ends of cam shafts)

996.111.107.54 - Exhaust manifold gasket

996-111.113.02 - Exhaust gasket

996.105.325.52 - Oil protection tube

I'll be resealing both sides in January. Do you recall prices for these parts? Were any of them 'special orders'? Did you use the sealants Loren mentioned? How was access, did you lower the engine as Toolpants mechanic suggested?

999.707.215.40 - Red o-ring on tube (larger o-ring)  $2.57 each.

999.707.343.40 - Green o-ring on the tube (smaller o-ring) $1.27 each.

996.104.215.54 - Cylinder head cup seal (green caps on ends of cam shafts)

996.111.107.54 - Exhaust manifold gasket

996-111.113.02 - Exhaust gasket

996.105.325.52 - Oil protection tube $3.11 each.

Don't have the individual prices handy for the green caps and exhaust manifold gaskets + exhaust gaskets, but the total price for the 4 green caps, 2 exhaust manifold gaskets, and 2 exhaust gaskets was $24.66.

All of the parts were special ordered by the dealer.

You'll want to order two o-rings to seal the oil extraction pump covers also, which I did not order as I didn't realize they were there. Dealer should be able to help you with the part number for these.

You will also want to order 6 green caps as there is an addtional green cap above the oil extraction pump covers, which I failed to order, so I re-used two of mine.

I did not use the silicone gasket sealant that Porsche uses. Instead I used a silicone gasket sealant for sale at the local auto parts store.

I did not lower the engine / transmission, as I did not know how. It would be helpful to have the engine lower when doing the re-seal, but it can be done without lowering the engine.

• Upvote 1

• 12 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi, 99 Boxster ....Going to pull the Cam Covers cause they appear to be leaking oil and Bank 2 most likely has a faulty Solenoid to be replaced.. My question is how much from the top of the engine do I need to remove to get the Cam Covers off with the engine in the car. Do I need to remove the intake manifold and fuel rails? The Trans will be dropped cause I'm doing the IMS and RMS as well. A little nervous!! Thanks in advance for any advice. V