Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Where can I buy Mobile 1 5W-40?

• Moderators
Engine oils are more and more specific, i would only go with oils which are indicated in the approved oil list.

Porsche’s so-called approved list is the last place I would look for quality oils. Time, and time again, independent used oil tests have show what a load of crap their premier approved oil, Mobil1 0W-40, really is.

I would look for a10W-40 or 5W-40 full synthetic (we don’t use any Mobil 1 oils, or “0W-anything”, haven’t for years, and our customer’s cars are all the better for it) for the M96 engine, with ACEA A3, B3, & B4 ratings. There are plenty to choose from, and most are actually cheaper.

Diesel oil lubricates as well--or better than those designed for just gas engines. HOWEVER, diesel oil contains an additive that poisons the catalytic converter. If you live in a State that does not do smog inspections, you might get away with using diesel once. Continued use could cause a build-up in your converter and create unnecessary back pressure. Not a good thing.

Oddly a lot of the good stuff that protects engines can harm cats. Not just in diesel oils. JFP has good advice on the Euro ratings. I'd add API SL rating as a minimum and recommend SH or SJ as better choices. Some Porsche approved oils don't live up to these API numbers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
I can easly find 5W-30 full synthetic but not 5W-40. Is there much difference between the two or am I good to go with 5W-30?

5W-30 is a bit too thin, you should be using something that is "X"W-40. Look for a 10W-40 full synthetic with the right ACEA ratings.

• Moderators
You should consider the Castrol Full Synthetic 5w-40 or 10w-40. Both are easy to find. ;)

The 5w-40 is on the Porsche approved list while the 10w-40 is not. B)

What is on their vaunted “approved list” tends to be overly thin “W” weights that do not hold up well. 10W-40, from years of UoA’s collected on customer cars, is just fine……………