Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How do you replace 997S front springs?

The front suspension rattle on my 997 is said to be due to the springs wearing through the rubber mounts. Is it easy to replace the springs as a DIY job?

Thanks

It's a relatively easy DIY, not very different than most cars these days.

Just make sure you have a good quality spring compressor tool to compress the springs safely for removal and then for install.

Regards, Maurice.

• Admin
When I changed out the stock suspension for coil-overs on my 996, I remember the fronts came off with out a hitch. I only needed spring compressors for the rears.

Not sure how similar 996 and 997 front suspension is though..

JP

Umm... I think it is the other way around - the rears are simple and rarely require a spring compressor.

When I changed out the stock suspension for coil-overs on my 996, I remember the fronts came off with out a hitch. I only needed spring compressors for the rears.

Not sure how similar 996 and 997 front suspension is though..

JP

Umm... I think it is the other way around - the rears are simple and rarely require a spring compressor.

Maybe it was the Texas heat that affected the metal. Or maybe it just affected my brain and my recollection is incorrect. <_<

In any case, spring compressors at your FAPS are cheap enough to prevent one from buying them.. :D

Joost

• 3 weeks later...

Regardless of whether or not you can remove the strut without the aid of spring compressors, you will need them to remove and replace the springs when you replace the rubber mounts. It is also important that when you install the mounts and the springs that you align them correctly. Outside of that, the process, while fairly simple, involves the dismantling of a number of suspension and parts and calipers to get to fully free the strut from the car and, if you have never done it, will require the help of someone who has. Having done this myself a couple times it's not what I'd call a home handyman project unless you have all the necessary tools and time to tackle it.