Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

74 911 engine starting after 8 years - your comments welcome

shopcarpro

Hi everybody, My first post in the forum, hoping to receive comments from experienced/knowledgeable members.

This 911 sat in storage for over 8 yrs. I am hesitating to crank up in view of the unknown stage of the engine and the consequences to follow. Would be thankful for any suggestions / past experience in this situation from members who

may be qualified to comment thru their past involvements with 911s. Also have a leak in the fuel supply line from the

filter to the CIS and one fuel injector supply hose is broken, which two I also plan to fix/replace prior to cranking up.

This is an original US 911 with US compliance plate on the door jamb. Thanks in advance for reading this post and any

meaningful response. :clapping:

post-50226-1260927922_thumb.jpg

post-50226-1260927938.jpg

• Admin

When a car sits that long it is a crap shoot. You don't know what condition it was before it was stored and you don't know what has happened since.

I would put some light weight oil in the car (10W) and try to use a wrench to turn the engine over by hand.

If you can get it to turn easily without bad noises or excessive resistance then I would go ahead and try to start it.

If it starts you will likely get some to a lot of smoke - let it run just a few minutes then drain the oil and have a look at what you have.

If you have small plastic parts they are likely chain ramps that have aged and become brittle and starting to let go. If you have metal parts try to see if they are bearing (usually a softer metal) or what.

If it is clean then you maybe very lucky and could try regular weight oil and starting again. That would be what I would do.

the fuel system would really worry me

drain the tank, if there is any gas or what the gas has turned in to

flush the lines and change the fuel filter

looks like it is in good shape, take your time and go through the fuel system and the oil change like Loren suggested

it will save $$ in the long run and make the car enjoyable

You already have some great advice from the other members above. I second the recommendation to flush all the old fuel out and replace the filter for sure. If the car was stored with a partially filled gas tank the tank itself may have become corroded on the inside over time. If you can pull it and have it flushed/cleaned that would be ideal. Drain and replace the oil and filter as suggested. Pull all the plugs and check their condition. Replace them all if the ends are fouled. Put a few drops of engine oil in each cylinder while you have the plugs out for a little added lubrication when you turn over the engine. Try turning the engine by hand when the plugs are out as it will be easier by far than with the plugs in. Use a large wrench and turn clockwise at the fan pulley nut. If the fan belt slips you can pinch it together as you turn the wrench to add more tension. The engine should turn over easily with the plugs out although you my have to put a fair amount of pressure on the pulley by squeezing the belt. If it won't turn over at all or is making nasty noises you may have seized rings in the pistons or other issues that could require a teardown of the engine. Your next step is to turn the engine over with the starter only.

Make sure you have a fully charged battery, and make sure that you have disconnected the spark plugs or distributor wire so the cylinders won't fire (alternatively you can leave the plugs out as the engine will turn over more easily). Crank the engine until you see the oil pressure come up on the dash gauge. If the motor turns over with the starter and you see oil pressure proceed to the next step. If it won't turn with the starter then there are bigger issue and you need to seek professional help (for your car that is :-)).

Fill the tank with Shell V-Power fuel or an equivalent high grade 0% methanol/ethanol fuel if you can get it. Ensure you've replaced all leaking fuel lines. Install all spark plugs. Reattach spark plug wires and distributor wire if you removed it. Cross your fingers and crank the engine until it fires. Keep an eye on the oil pressure. If it dives to zero during this exercise you should stop immediately.

Once it fires up let it idle for a few minutes as Loren suggested and then drain out all the oil. Check for debris and if none is found you can refill and add a new oil filter. Remember to use a new filter for both steps as this will help to protect the engine. 15w50 Mobil 1 is my poison of choice. However Brad Penn oil with a higher ZDDP content is an even better choice i you can get it locally.

Before you drive the car I would drain and replace the gear lube as well. Since it has sat for so long there's no telling when the gear lube was replaced and you would hate to toast the tranny on your first drive. I use Mobil 1 gear lube, but gear lube from Swepco is also highly recommended.

Let us know how it turns out and good luck!

J

Hi everybody, Thanx for all contributions. At this stage I have all 6 plugs out. They are all fouled - Black & wet. Wet since I checked the fuel system for leaks and the line from the fuel filter to the fuel distrbtr is leaking heavy due to dry rot, and one fuel line from the fuel dstrbtr to an injector is broken. Plan to replace both items and the plugs. Harmonyroadporsche, thanx for

taking the time to write your very well worthy advice, which I would follow as this project proceeds. Loren, will do so. The car

went into storage after a repo from a business and sat there until I got it. Not much care was taken during storage, but the car

has everything on it as far as I see. Also thanx to magcuda & wvicary for your contribution.

Keep it up guys, I need to hear from somebody who went thru the drill first hand. :clapping:

post-50226-1261666288_thumb.jpg

Edited by shopcarpro