Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Here are some good pics of the new wheels

The wheels look even nicer in high resolution! Not normally a big fan of aftermarket wheels but you made a great choice. The fronts really fill up the wheel well, any clearance issues on tight radius turns?

BTW, its 30 degrees and snowing here on the east coast... My girl is sleeping quietly in the garage dreaming of 75 degree weather!

Cheers, GW :cheers:

I went down to the RoseBowl this evening and took these pictures. I thought they came out quite nice.

By the way it was 75 degrees today... :D

very nice Philip! question, would the cold air intake harm the engine? I am thinking of having one for the sound, do you recommend it?

very nice Philip! question, would the cold air intake harm the engine? I am thinking of having one for the sound, do you recommend it?

Hamad,

No the intake wont harm the engine. Won't void your warranty either. It just bypasses the muffler in your airbox. I diconnected the cable to my PSE so that it's on all the time. That combined with intake...It sounds soooo sweet...... :clapping: .

The wheels look even nicer in high resolution! Not normally a big fan of aftermarket wheels but you made a great choice. The fronts really fill up the wheel well, any clearance issues on tight radius turns?

BTW, its 30 degrees and snowing here on the east coast... My girl is sleeping quietly in the garage dreaming of 75 degree weather!

Glad you like them. No there are no clearence issues. I would still like to have it a bit lower. I wish there was a way to drop it a half inch without making the ride harsh. Any suggestions?

FWIW, when I bought my 996 it was lowered by about 1.5 inches from stock (clearance measured from the suspension was ~4.5 inches instead of ~6.1). The suspension still did a good job with the bumps, however it would occasionally hit the front suspension stops on the highway on a large dip. I didn't mind the ride, however I ended up raising it back up an inch to ~5.5 because I was tired of damaging the front bumper (C4S bumper) getting into driveways. I actually pulled the bumper partially off on a particularly bad driveway. If you decide to lower I would suggest not going much lower than 5" measured from the recommended suspension points otherwise you will have to be very careful with the nose.

Although I now have noticeably more body roll than I did when it was lower. I was planning on posting a detailed history of my experiences in the near future...

Glad you like them. No there are no clearence issues. I would still like to have it a bit lower. I wish there was a way to drop it a half inch without making the ride harsh. Any suggestions?

FWIW, when I bought my 996 it was lowered by about 1.5 inches from stock (clearance measured from the suspension was ~4.5 inches instead of ~6.1). The suspension still did a good job with the bumps, however it would occasionally hit the front suspension stops on the highway on a large dip. I didn't mind the ride, however I ended up raising it back up an inch to ~5.5 because I was tired of damaging the front bumper (C4S bumper) getting into driveways. I actually pulled the bumper partially off on a particularly bad driveway. If you decide to lower I would suggest not going much lower than 5" measured from the recommended suspension points otherwise you will have to be very careful with the nose.

Although I now have noticeably more body roll than I did when it was lower. I was planning on posting a detailed history of my experiences in the near future...

Thanks for the info! :cheers:

Oh dear... And I thought I was done..... :huh: Maybe next year... Wait...Next year is only a couple weeks away right? :P

Seriously, that's a lot of coin to drop. But if I do decide to do anything it will only be with a factory Porsche kit.

Sorry to be such a dumb American but how does 20mm translate to inches?

Thanks for your input!!

Edited by phillipj

Oh dear... And I thought I was done..... :huh: Maybe next year... Wait...Next year is only a couple weeks away right? :P

Seriously, that's a lot of coin to drop. But if I do decide to do anything it will only be with a factory Porsche kit.

Sorry to be such a dumb American but how does 20mm translate to inches?

Thanks for your input!!

20mm is about 3/4 of an inch. Doesn't sound like much but you would definitely see the difference. I'm a bit of a purist so I personally wouldn't recommend any aftermarket drop kits. I prefer to stick with Porsche engineering… Plus that would put you in the same crowd as the tin can buzz bombs and I don’t think you would like that. Just my opinion!

I went down to the RoseBowl this evening and took these pictures. I thought they came out quite nice.

By the way it was 75 degrees today... :D

Phillip:

WOW!!! Those wheels and those pics look stunningly BEAU-TI-FUL!!! :clapping:

Thanks for posting the hi-res photos!!!

Regards, Maurice.

Phillip,

The only suggestion I have to lower would be to install the X73 Carrera Race Suspension for Turbo/C4S. It will drop the car 20mm and Suncoast Porsche has the kit listed for $2549.00. You can install them yourself or maybe have a buddy assist.

GW :jump:

Better way to go would be to install PSS10 coilovers but an issue with lowered car (PSS10 will drop it down for an inch) is a serious one - I would literally take a ruler and measure all driveways and bumps on your regular routes and think twice prior to doing it.

Coilovers together with GT3 adjustable lower control arms will make car much sportier and allow up to -3 degrees of front camber to completely eliminate understeer. Great mod, but, lowered car may become unusable for any daily routines.