Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Car Does not Start Easily after Stalling

2003 996 C4S

-----------------

Recently when i took my car to the dealer for minor service, they told me my battery is weak and needed changing. i changed it because i could feel that the battery was starting to give way.

Was driving in a traffic jam and the car stalled, so i hit the ignition and the car wouldn't start... after attempting a couple of more times the car finally started again...

The Car starts perfectly when cold, so i tested the stalling issue again when car is warm on the driveway and again, the car gave me such a tough time to start... I'm thinking it's the Alternator....

Anyone had similar issues???

Thanks

2003 996 C4S

-----------------

Recently when i took my car to the dealer for minor service, they told me my battery is weak and needed changing. i changed it because i could feel that the battery was starting to give way.

Was driving in a traffic jam and the car stalled, so i hit the ignition and the car wouldn't start... after attempting a couple of more times the car finally started again...

The Car starts perfectly when cold, so i tested the stalling issue again when car is warm on the driveway and again, the car gave me such a tough time to start... I'm thinking it's the Alternator....

Thanks

Is it cranking normally and just not starting or is the cranking slower than normal when hot?

2003 996 C4S

-----------------

Thanks

Is it cranking normally and just not starting or is the cranking slower than normal when hot?

when i first hit the ignition it's slower... after that the cranking is normal as when you start the car when it's cold...

• 3 years later...

I never updated this thread regarding the problem.

after a lot of investigations, it turned out that due to the high resistance on the starter cable it has burned the starter motor as well. part of the starter cable had melted down and that's what was preventing startup when the car was warm...

now i'm having the same problem again.

anyone else had this problem, why is it recurring? is the workshop not doing something properly?

attached are pictures of the old starter and starter cable.

post-50282-0-51759800-1359449224_thumb.j

post-50282-0-11768900-1359449239_thumb.j

post-50282-0-45323300-1359449261_thumb.j

post-50282-0-46569900-1359449275_thumb.j

Corrosion on that cable is a "common" issue. I had it on mine as well. Porsche later updated this cable to a much thicker design. It is important that the bolts holding those cables are tightened down properly as well, as a loose cable can have a similar affect that corrosion does.

When that cable is so badly corroded or improperly torqued, it causes the alternator and and starter to work much harder, thus diminishing their useable lifespan (rapidly).

If the generator and stater were not removed and bench tested, you should have those tests performed. Most parts stores, for example Napa auto, have sophisticated machines that can bench test them and give you a printout with lots of statistics including Pass/Fail on many different aspects.

It might also be possible you have multiple problems going on, and the next two items I would check (including the above) are the body to engine ground strap and secondly the health of the battery.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I hate to sound ridiculous...the cable is located on the starter. There is an updated starter cable harness available, and a good idea "while you are in there" is to just replace the starter with a new one, replace the cable harness, and disconnect/clean the engine ground cable connectors very well with a wire brush. Also do your battery connectors, and if it has been three years or more on your battery, replace it as well.

Edited by DBJoe996