Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

firing order for the cayman

• Admin
Hi guys,

Does anyone have the firing order diagram for the cayman pre-2009? [did a search and only found one for the 997, not sure if same]

Also, does anyone know the fault codes associated with a flashing CEL?

Thanks !

987 (as well as 986) and 997 (as well as 996) are the same basic engine - so they will all work.

Remember the engine in a Boxster or Cayman is turned 180 degrees from the 997 series.

post-1-1262626904_thumb.png

There are hundreds of fault codes can trigger a CEL. Best to have the codes read with an OBD II compliant reader and report back here.

I am moving this topic to the Cayman (987C1) section.

Hi guys,

Does anyone have the firing order diagram for the cayman pre-2009? [did a search and only found one for the 997, not sure if same]

Also, does anyone know the fault codes associated with a flashing CEL?

Thanks !

987 (as well as 986) and 997 (as well as 996) are the same basic engine - so they will all work.

Remember the engine in a Boxster or Cayman is turned 180 degrees from the 997 series.

post-1-1262626904_thumb.png

There are hundreds of fault codes can trigger a CEL. Best to have the codes read with an OBD II compliant reader and report back here.

I am moving this topic to the Cayman (987C1) section.

to confirm, that'd mean the rear-most cylinder on the driver side.

thank you !

I've narrowed down my problem to very minor misfire in cylinder # 6 at idle and light throttle. Not quite enough to consistently set off the "blinking CEL" but definitely enough to cause a slight rumble at idle. The slight idle roughness is intermittent and only occurs after the car warms up and idles over 30-45 seconds at a red light. I've tried swapping ignition coil and spark plug with cylinder # 5 but the problem persists in cylinder # 6. I've identified the misfire using the "misfire counter cylinder 6" with the enthusiast version of Durametric 6.x.x.

Few questions:

1. how accurate is durametric when it comes to identifying which cylinder is misfiring? is it possible that durametric says cylinder # 6 but it's really another cylinder?

2. the car has < 25k miles. the next likely diagnosis is either a tear in the fuel injector O-ring, or the injector itself. I've searched renntech and other boards but did not find any DIY/technical manual on doing it myself.

note: the injectors are aftermarket(Siemens). A rare "blinking" CEL (3 times) over the past 7 months prompted the investigation into misfires. Oh, and I'm not getting a solid CEL. No fault codes either.

Thanks everyone !

Edited by NotQuiteFOB

• Admin

The Durametric software (just like the Porsche software) is reading faults or pending faults in the DME. So it should be accurate.

Any misfire on a single cylinder is commonly caused by: a cracked coil pack, a loose or damaged electrical connector at the coil pack, or a loose/cracked spark plug.

Those are by far the most common - injector problems are pretty rare.

The Durametric software (just like the Porsche software) is reading faults or pending faults in the DME. So it should be accurate.

Any misfire on a single cylinder is commonly caused by: a cracked coil pack, a loose or damaged electrical connector at the coil pack, or a loose/cracked spark plug.

I agree ignition coil and spark plugs are much more common than injectors. After swapping plugs and coil packs with cylinder 5, I was still experiencing the same misfiring behavior in cylinder 6. Last night I swapped injectors between the two cylinders and now the misfire is happening in cylinder 5 instead of 6. I checked both injectors for damaged o-rings but neither looked cut or ripped.

Since the problem was happening intermittently at idle and at very light throttle, I wasn't sold on the idea of bad plugs or coil packs since that would happen more at load than off load. At this point I'm fairly confident that the problem was caused by a faulty injector, so I will swap in a new injector next. I wish there was a way for me to test for proper injector seal to the cylinder, but I don't have a smoke machine handy.

Any other suggestions or things I should check while I'm in there?

I agree ignition coil and spark plugs are much more common than injectors. After swapping plugs and coil packs with cylinder 5, I was still experiencing the same misfiring behavior in cylinder 6. Last night I swapped injectors between the two cylinders and now the misfire is happening in cylinder 5 instead of 6. I checked both injectors for damaged o-rings but neither looked cut or ripped.

Since the problem was happening intermittently at idle and at very light throttle, I wasn't sold on the idea of bad plugs or coil packs since that would happen more at load than off load. At this point I'm fairly confident that the problem was caused by a faulty injector, so I will swap in a new injector next. I wish there was a way for me to test for proper injector seal to the cylinder, but I don't have a smoke machine handy.

Any other suggestions or things I should check while I'm in there?

Loren,

Would it be possible for you to send me the remove/reinstall instructions for fuel injectors in a 987.1 Cayman? I want to make certain that I'm not missing anything the next time I'm in there replacing the faulty injector.

Thank you so much for all your input on this matter.

• Admin

There really aren't instructions for a single injector only the whole assembly and then disassembly.

Basically you lever off the safety clip from a single injector and pull the injector out.

post-1-1262883937.png

When you replace the injector make sure you use new o-rings and Porsche says a small amount of Optimol MP3 grease on each o-ring.

Reinstall and attach the safety clip again.

post-1-1262884075.png

There really aren't instructions for a single injector only the whole assembly and then disassembly.

Basically you lever off the safety clip from a single injector and pull the injector out.

post-1-1262883937.png

When you replace the injector make sure you use new o-rings and Porsche says a small amount of Optimol MP3 grease on each o-ring.

Reinstall and attach the safety clip again.

post-1-1262884075.png

guess I'm curious if it is possible for the injector to sit too far into te fuel rail causing the tip to not be fully seated into the cylinder port when the fuel rail is bolted on. Just so **** hard to see anything in the cramped engine compartment. Since the injectors are aftermarket I'll have to check next time I'm in there. Good call on the o ring. By the way does the instruction call for removing the intake manifold on either side to lift the fuel rail and r/r the injectors?

Thanks!