Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I'm Sooo Confused! Is The Rear Window Replacable?

I just picked up a 98 thats in great shape, except that there's a tear in the rear window. When I purchased it, the "dealer" said he had a guy who would replace the rear window at his cost. When I picked up the car, I was told that the shop had lost it's convertible top guy, so I was out of luck. I've made several calls locally, and have been told that the rear window isn't replacable, and the whole top needs to be replaced. This seems kind of odd to me! Can anyone help me? :help:

• 3 months later...

check your local upholstry shop who specialized on european cars.

I did replace mine two weeks ago and better than porsche factory vinyl.

cost is also around $300 to $400 and before you do replace, check the material first.

good luck. :P

• 1 month later...

I have a MY99. I had mine replaced by a local upholstry shop a couple of weekends ago. The cost was $428. They do have to remove the softtop to sew in the new window. It takes all day (about six hours). I was told they use the same material used in military gas masks. Anyway, they did a great job and it looks like a new car now. The old window was discolored and difficult to look through. Now I can watch the other cars getting smaller.

I'm in San Diego. If you want info on who I used send and email to:

pvaughan"at"san.rr.com

Later,

-pvaughan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Here's a solution I used to fix my 99' I bought a roll of the window material and made my own. Here are the steps, total cost was less then 30 dollars! First you put the new material over your old window, with a sharpie marker draw an outline to the shape of your window. Next cut out the new window with scissors, you can remove the line from the sharpie marker with rubbing alcohol. Next secure the new window over the old wiwindowith double sided tape, make sure the tape is at least an inch but not too far from the edges. Next use an glue called household goop or shoe goo (same thing) this can be bought at K-mart or most hardware stores. Put a bead of the glue between the old and new window around the edges and allow to dry for atat least days! Than after you are sure the glue is dry, you just cut out the old window from the inside of your car with a scissors, leaving about 1 inch of the old window in place where the glue is. This really works mine has held up for a year now, and looks perfect. one last thing, do not try to add more glue on the inside of the window after the old window is removed, I tried to do this to make it extra secure, and stoped after a few inches due to the bead of glue not looking uniform.

• 1 month later...

Here are some pictures of my window replacement. These were taken today (about one year after I installed the new window) to show how well it has held up. The last picture is what not to do, I put a little glue on the out side to seal the new window where the old one had broken completely away from the fabric, this was a mistake, the glue after about 6 months or so turns yellow from sunlight, but seems to be just fine aslong as it is protected on the inside, the clear plastic window material must block UV light or something.

post-2025-1130523030_thumb.jpg

post-2025-1130523086_thumb.jpg

post-2025-1130523103_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I just picked up a 98 thats in great shape, except that there's a tear in the rear window. When I purchased it, the "dealer" said he had a guy who would replace the rear window at his cost. When I picked up the car, I was told that the shop had lost it's convertible top guy, so I was out of luck. I've made several calls locally, and have been told that the rear window isn't replacable, and the whole top needs to be replaced. This seems kind of odd to me! Can anyone help me? :help:

yes

Also see here for someone who sells just the rear window with a kit that allows you to install the rear window yourself without removing the soft top.

http://www.emiata.com/BoxsterWindow.htm

I ordered and received this kit but have not installed it. It was shipped very promptly and the installation procedure document looks like a xerox from a BMW shop manual.

Also see here for someone who sells just the rear window with a kit that allows you to install the rear window yourself without removing the soft top.

http://www.emiata.com/BoxsterWindow.htm

I ordered and received this kit but have not installed it. It was shipped very promptly and the installation procedure document looks like a xerox from a BMW shop manual.

Thanks for sharing, the Porsche dealer here in Toronto is quoting me more than $1000 to do that, the one you posted sounds great, I am very interested, can you please keep us updated how it goes with your installation? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Check out my new topic "New rear window installed", might be able to help you Mytoy. Since I don't know how to insert my own topic. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a Robbins Top on ebay for $650. I decided to stay with black and have the smaller glass window option. I know that the top will not stay in "service mode" by itself anymore so I will try and order the strap that Robbins makes to keep the top in service mode (PN 3162 STRAP).

I went for the glass because of better visibility but also because I can tint it to match my side windows which I tinted last weekend. Hope that helps.

I just ordered a Robbins Top on ebay for $650. I decided to stay with black and have the smaller glass window option. I know that the top will not stay in "service mode" by itself anymore so I will try and order the strap that Robbins makes to keep the top in service mode (PN 3162 STRAP).

I went for the glass because of better visibility but also because I can tint it to match my side windows which I tinted last weekend. Hope that helps.

Honda:

Check out Mike Focke's Boxster Pages for excellent DIY instructions on replacing the top, with loads of photos at: http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/replacingthetop-adiy

So that you don't get delayed once you start, be sure to buy the two clamping rails ahead of time. The plastic ears into which the little black pins push into almost always break when taking them apart. They're relatively cheap (about $12.00 each) and you can always return them if you don't break the original ones.

If you run into any roadblocks, shoot me a PM, or post here and I'll provide you with any help I can.

Regards, Maurice.

i really wish is post was here 2 days earlier, i have just complect, very hard.... to do without any help..

Darren:

Just curious... What did you specifically find most difficult? Was it the aluminum shoulder plates, or the rearmost frame gaskets X 3? Did you have to get new clamping rails?

Regards, Maurice.

Yup it's not that easy if you haven't done it before. How long did the whole process take ?

I'm just wondering because there are a lot of ppl out there wanting to know.

i really wish is post was here 2 days earlier, i have just complect, very hard.... to do without any help..
Edited by juniinc

Hi it actually took me more than 10 hours to do this job. When I open the book it said no DIY, but I have always been doing mod work on cars as I am in the auto business and I know some DIY stuff. I have actually took the entire Porsche apart beside the engine, the hardest part of the car to mod I think it’s the top cause of the insufficient space under the cover”the part that moves where cover the top when open.” I did not get a new clamping rails cause I am lazy to go to the Porsche dealer and just very little thing break. I end up using super glue to glue it back because if you get a new one it won’t hold the helper rubber as well. U need super glue, use it only on the puncher. There’s a guy spending $500 and had a shop do it for him, I think it really worth it, cause after you still have to adjust the length or else the top won’t close good make sure it not too tight. Anyone that have question can contact me. My website at joofoon.net. leave me a message and I’ll get back to you. Thxs =D

Hahaha, same thing that happened to me. I had some bad experience with this plus 2 trips i had to make to a local dealer. Yes I also know a guy who tried to figure it out for several days then finally paid some1 to finish for him.

Hi it actually took me more than 10 hours to do this job. When I open the book it said no DIY, but I have always been doing mod work on cars as I am in the auto business and I know some DIY stuff. I have actually took the entire Porsche apart beside the engine, the hardest part of the car to mod I think it’s the top cause of the insufficient space under the cover”the part that moves where cover the top when open.” I did not get a new clamping rails cause I am lazy to go to the Porsche dealer and just very little thing break. I end up using super glue to glue it back because if you get a new one it won’t hold the helper rubber as well. U need super glue, use it only on the puncher. There’s a guy spending $500 and had a shop do it for him, I think it really worth it, cause after you still have to adjust the length or else the top won’t close good make sure it not too tight. Anyone that have question can contact me. My website at joofoon.net. leave me a message and I’ll get back to you. Thxs =D
Edited by juniinc